No announcement yet.

Thoughts on rubber bushing for Avanti rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Thoughts on rubber bushing for Avanti rebuild

I want to replace all rubber bushings on the ole 63 Avanti. Starting with the front suspension. What do think of the rubber products from SI? I have ordered some rubber items from SI only to have them deteriorate rather quickly. Are you finding better luck with other types of rubber suspension products offered locally? I understand that some modifications may be required on Brand X parts.

Thanks
    Jim
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Pretty sure SI's bushings are new repro nowadays. I agree on avoiding NOS bushings. I learned a lesson a few years ago with them, they did not last more than a few thousand miles before the rubber was all but gone. You could always ask SI on the phone before ordering but, again, pretty sure theirs are new.

Comment

Chris Skinner (I think) offers them in urethane. He is in Australia.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Chuck Collins has the Derlin ones. OR you could round up the front suspension from a 52 (Commander for sure) possibly others, that has the prototype R-3 suspension!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

I used the new rubber from SI years ago wish I had not but back then delrin was not available. Once you make the move to delrin your car will handle so much better that you will use delrin for everthing including spring bushings. One thing that you wantf to do is machine the center pin so that it uses roller bearings instead of just the one roller bearing and bushing. My 65 is in my shop and slowly getting the suspension rebuilt and new front fenders. I was surprised at how bad the cracking was inside the coil spring towers but then I did rear end a 68 Impala at 60 mph with it back in the 1980s and the inpact tore the front crossmember completely loose.
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

A Derlin tech rep stated (by e-ml) that Derlin is not recommended for cars used primarily on the street - the ride will be very harsh and the wear and tear on the rest of the suspension will be increased. Their opinion, not mine. Urethane, however, is more resilient than Delrin and is commonly used on many U.S. cars as a replacement. Unfortunately, as of two years ago, none of the U.S suppliers supplied urethane for Studebaker.
            If you use the ones from "Down Under" please provide the Forum w/ your experience - Would be very helpful to the rest of us Studemaniacs.

Paul TK

Comment

As an experiment I cleaned the stock rubber control arm bushings and sealed the exposed rubber with black RTV sealant. My thought in doing this is that the exposed rubber deteriorates from exposure to gasoline, oil and oxygen. Years later this car was wrecked and I had a chance to look at the bushings. When I cut through the silicon sealant I noticed that the protected rubber was still fresh and looked new.
              StudeRick & Johna
              Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
              1957 Silver Hawk
              1963 Avanti
              1961 Lark Wagon
              1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Originally posted by Studerick64 View Post
                As an experiment I cleaned the stock rubber control arm bushings and sealed the exposed rubber with black RTV sealant. My thought in doing this is that the exposed rubber deteriorates from exposure to gasoline, oil and oxygen. Years later this car was wrecked and I had a chance to look at the bushings. When I cut through the silicon sealant I noticed that the protected rubber was still fresh and looked new.
                Those rubber bushings are an example of where repro is preferable to NOS. Long as new rubbered repro is used, a freshly installed set is good for at least 50,000 miles and 10 years. On a 56J, figure at MOST 50,000 miles. With only drivers on hand, I personally would not use delrin or urethane, since the front ends are already prone to cracking in various places. Those bushings firm up the front end, but transfer more road shock to the frame. JMHO

Comment

I had delrin bushings made locally for Pinkie. My 65 is gettimg the downunder kit. I like the downunder kit as it has a zerc fitting for every bushing. As for harsh ride Pinkie does not ride harsh at all compared to many a Corvette that i have worked on.
                  If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  63 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  45 Agricat
                  67 Triumph T100
                  66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment