C cab grille/fender welting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C cab grille/fender welting.

From the factory was this welting between the fiberglass grille and fender painted or natural black?

This is a good question. I too would like to know the answe
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

It's possible that none of the OEM welting exists any more, so only someone who has owned a 57-64 C-cab since it was new may know the answer. However, I note that the parts books show the 3E-6E trucks had welt with a part number that ends in CHB, which I think means black cloth (not sure the meaning of the H). The 6E-8E welt part number ends in VB, which means black vinyl.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I am definitely voting for Black as the correct original Color, it is unlikely that the front panel would be Painted with the fenders and Hood. Many I have seen were Black, these were not the Fat "Fender Welt" used on the Fenders of Older Cars, just tiny little Vinyl "insulator strips" like those used on Tail Light and Head Light Housings & Rims.

Remember that some Years like 1960 to '64 "Big Trucks" had Off-White Grille Panels, so neither Fender nor Front Panel Color would have worked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1707069 Here is my Original '62 7E-13 Dually 10,000 Lb. GVW Cab & Chassis with it's original Custom Body from Helms Motors Studebaker and JC Truck & Equipment Co. Long Island, NY.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-05-2016, 03:29 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If it is any help, I just removed the grill from my 49 2R16A a couple days ago. Black insulating strips down each side. Pretty sure it had never been removed before.

Can post pics if it would help.

Comment

This is a picture of my 1957 E40 that I just got back on the road. As you can see, it still wears it's original paint. The grille does appear to have been painted at some point, but it may have been a rattle can job. The rubber trim is black, and it is not a traditional, "welting", but it is actually a "U" shaped rubber that fits tightly over the edge of the fiberglass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1957 E40 drivers side.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1707074

Zane

Comment

I thought my brother could help, but he doesn't know what his welting fit. He and a friend were in Newman & Altman and saw a roll or some material that looked like it would work so he bought it. Correct? Who knows, but he left it black.
              Attached Files
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 4E12D View Post
                This is a picture of my 1957 E40 that I just got back on the road.
                Zane,

It was nice to see your truck in Salem. I agree with your observation about it being black U-shaped rubber that slip-fits over the raw edge of the fiberglass grille.

Craig

Comment

Thank you Craig. It was really nice to meet you. I wish I had more time to visit. But with almost 900 trucks there, and only 2 days to see them, it didn't leave much down time. Next time I'll plan on staying longer.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E12D View Post
                    Thank you Craig. It was really nice to meet you. I wish I had more time to visit. But with almost 900 trucks there, and only 2 days to see them, it didn't leave much down time. Next time I'll plan on staying longer.
                    Here are some, but not all of the ATHS Studebaker Truck Farmers:

Kurt's is rather unusual in that it was never ordered with a Climatizer:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                      If it is any help, I just removed the grill from my 49 2R16A a couple days ago. Black insulating strips down each side. Pretty sure it had never been removed before.

Can post pics if it would help.
                      After seeing the difference in the two trucks, I now see how stupid this statement was.

As Emily Latella would say: "never mind".

Comment

No sweat. We've all been there.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies fellas'!

Comment

On the other Studebaker models where it would be correct for the welting to be painted body color were the body parts first primered, then assembled with the welting and painted?
                            Or were they simply bare metal parts assembled and painted?

I know the process may vary depending on the model but say for example a 50 champion.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                              On the other Studebaker models where it would be correct for the welting to be painted body color were the body parts first primered, then assembled with the welting and painted?
                              Or were they simply bare metal parts assembled and painted?

I know the process may vary depending on the model but say for example a 50 champion.

Dean.
                              Neither - The body, rear fenders and welting were all painted body color separately and then attached.
                              One exception - black and perhaps some dark color cars had unpainted black welting.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X