61 Lark Convertible And The 7 Day (Un)Reality Build off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAY 6

Wow, what is worse that watching paint dry? Getting root canal!

The shope sent me some pictures of the sealer and them painting the car.

Buffing it out..

And Back Home..

Getting the top, windows and parts on it

Getting rid of the split bench for the Bucket seats..

Now I just need to get the Interior Done!
    Hope I do not get some crazy woman with a Katana..
    993-0618
    Last edited by SScopelli; 06-18-2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Ok Now Come Do Mine!!!

That IS Simply Amazing!

Dean.

Comment

Kudos for a great build. If anyone believes this was accomplished without a lot of planning and a pretty good idea of what was needed before the "Car was brought home", I have this bridge.... This goes to the point that before executing every project it needs to be built on paper first.

If you don't know where you are going, you're not likely to get there. Whether 7 days, 7 months or 7 years this is a well executed project.

Comment

DAY 6 Cont and DAY 7

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
          Ok Now Come Do Mine!!!

That IS Simply Amazing!

Dean.

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
          Kudos for a great build. If anyone believes this was accomplished without a lot of planning and a pretty good idea of what was needed before the "Car was brought home", I have this bridge.... This goes to the point that before executing every project it needs to be built on paper first.

If you don't know where you are going, you're not likely to get there. Whether 7 days, 7 months or 7 years this is a well executed project.
          Thanks guys again for the compliments and the reality checks. They make it look real easy on TV and that is a crime in itself..
          Undertaking a RestoMod car to this extent made me realize a couple of things:
          1) That car may look like a lot of big pieces, but in reality, they are a million little pieces, and the big parts are easy..
          2) Inventory the car you have and don't start working on it until you have all of the pieces in your hand.

My last post I mentioned Root Canal.. I wasn't joking.. I was not able to post the second half of Day 6!
          From the Interior Shop, The "Top Goes On"

Console and Carpet

Door and Side Panels..

We are down to the wire ( what ever that means) on getting this done and the Show is tomorrow!
          (1,152)

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
            Undertaking a RestoMod car to this extent made me realize a couple of things:
            1) That car may look like a lot of big pieces, but in reality, they are a million little pieces, and the big parts are easy..
            2) Inventory the car you have and don't start working on it until you have all of the pieces in your hand.
            There is one large advantage in doing the project in a short time frame. .... You might actually remember where that funny little part goes and which side goes against what. The disadvantage is you might not have unidentified parts left over to sell on e-bay.

Comment

I can see that the car will not be all stock, but are you going with that 1962 grille on this 1961?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I can see that the car will not be all stock, but are you going with that 1962 grille on this 1961?
                Great Eye..
                Yes a 62 Grill on a 61. I can smell the kerosene torches as they are being lit..

My description of the car is RestoMod , but the caveat is, it will be "All Studebaker!"

The body is a 61 6cy 3-speed auto. In removing the side trim, the front just did not fit. So I went with the 62 nose and grill. I did however, keep the 61 headlight frames and clear lenses with amber bulbs. "Sweet."
                The Engine is a 63 R1+
                Trans is 63 HD with cooler lines
                Suspension upgrade, Traction bars, Sway bars, Dana 44 TT 3:31, all 63
                Interior: Dash, has the 62 Daytona trim and wood grain.. My version.. Door moldings shaped and wood grained to match dash. The style of the lines in the material is 64/63

So please bear with me to see the end result.
                And I assure you,
                No Chevy's were harmed while making this 61 Super Lark!

A look at the back seat:

Comment

I was just curious. I didn't say that I didn't like it - I do like the car and what you are doing to it. My last three Studebakers were resto-mods. I like completely stock and well done customs/modifieds (the in between - not so much).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I LOVE the interior

Comment

DAY 7

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I was just curious. I didn't say that I didn't like it - I do like the car and what you are doing to it. My last three Studebakers were resto-mods. I like completely stock and well done customs/modifieds (the in between - not so much).

Originally posted by Doug M View Post
                      I LOVE the interior
                      StudeGary, I apologize if it sounded like you were lighting the torches, it was a general comment..

Some more enjoyment.. I will get a Video of it driving and on the road shots..

From the Shop..

Getting her home..

Hope you enjoyed it.
                      (1,284)
                      Last edited by SScopelli; 06-19-2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

The wood on the dash & the side trim look superb! I personally like the contrasting color of the piping on the seats. The carpet looks very rich like what you would find on a Rolls, so elegant.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hope you enjoyed it.
                          What!?! You can't be done. Barely a second page! How about you start over and fill us in on all the little things. Maybe a blooper reel? How about a big burnout - uh, maybe not. I'll refer to this thread forever while building my daughters car. Thank you so much for bringing it to us. And so fast, I think I need a cigarette!

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post

Some more enjoyment.. I will get a Video of it driving and on the road shots..
                            Hope you enjoyed it.
                            (1,284)
                            Absolutely, When can we do it again HUH!! HUH!!

All kidding aside, loved the posts and build. A really nice car with a ton of well done pictures. Thanks, Bob

Comment

Stunning! Just Beautiful! And a Masterpiece of planning and execution!
                              sigpic
                              Lanny & Barb Bertram
                              '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
                              Indy Chapter SDC since 2000
                              Weaverville, NC

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                                The wood on the dash & the side trim look superb! I personally like the contrasting color of the piping on the seats. The carpet looks very rich like what you would find on a Rolls, so elegant.
                                A little about the Interior.

The interior is all LEATHER, including the side panels! As I noted before, we looked at many Studebaker interiors and picked out the things that looked right and went together

As for the carpet, the material is from Mercedes. Since there are panels under the carpet for the Transmission band adjust and the transmission access panel, the carpert can be removed in panels as well. I like the sectioning of it so it can lay real flat

The Wood graining is the water transfer type. I had started to use the Ink transfer type but this just came out better looking.
                                Notice the slight difference in tone of the instrument insert and glove box. The window pillars and the bottom of the arm rest are wood grained as well

This is Frank of Ceballos Customs. I gave his a general Idea and he ran with it. Cool part is, he likes cars, so it is not just a paycheck to him.

Originally posted by SweetSixtyn View Post
                                What!?! You can't be done. Barely a second page! How about you start over and fill us in on all the little things. Maybe a blooper reel? How about a big burnout - uh, maybe not. I'll refer to this thread forever while building my daughters car. Thank you so much for bringing it to us. And so fast, I think I need a cigarette!
                                Yeah, that was quick.
                                If you want to see the entire madness.. here is a link
                                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                                Absolutely, When can we do it again HUH!! HUH!!

All kidding aside, loved the posts and build. A really nice car with a ton of well done pictures. Thanks, Bob
                                Thanks Bob. A little touch up on the car and it is off to my sister. Once this is done and I catch my wind, on to the next.
                                As for the next car. There was another post stated by Bob Palma, "The Whistler" I have contributed to. I will be working with StudeJohn on it and a 63 Daytona that will be My son's car

Originally posted by Lanny Bertram View Post
                                Stunning! Just Beautiful! And a Masterpiece of planning and execution!
                                Thanks.

This is her at her first SDC Meet.

Last edited by SScopelli; 06-20-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X