Does anyone else see Studebaker here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
    Sorry I dont see any resemblance at all.

When I see a Prius, I see what I consider to be everything that I feel is wrong with automotive design today. The car is a complete and total eye sore and I feel embarrassment and pity for those who drive them. The Prius, to me, marks the end of the automotive culture and the beginning of mobile appliances. Sadly, I have been seeing a trend towards the ugly these days as people dont look at cars as a work of art like they used to. Now its all about function not form.

Studebaker on the other hand pushed the envelope in design form and function.
    No argument here as I call the newer ones vehicular appliances. The up side is I keep my 2008 Impala in nice shape mechanically and relatively clean but because I have no particular emotional attachment to it, it gets parked close to the entries to stores and sporting events and is our go to car to eat up miles which it does willingly. It has a number of scrapes and bumps but as a disposable entity, not an issue, so I can go anywhere, anytime without concern to what happens to it. I can get another one when this one expires.

As far as the Prius, I'll bet you never pay $300 to replace a water pump on a Stude.

Bob

Comment

AKA, Studebaker was 60 years ahead of other auto manufactures and didn't need a wind tunnel to do it.
      Originally posted by 53commander View Post
      I work for Toyota and can tell you extensive research and development went into the design of the Prius to achieve the lowest maximum drag, any resemblance to other cars is merely coincidence.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
        AKA, Studebaker was 60 years ahead of other auto manufactures and didn't need a wind tunnel to do it.
        The only difference, or problem, is that todays auto manufacturers have millions to invest on R and D.

Comment

You crossed a line this time Pat. Comparing my bullet nose to a Prius is unforgivable..... I thought you were my friend....
          Jon Stalnaker
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
            You crossed a line this time Pat. Comparing my bullet nose to a Prius is unforgivable..... I thought you were my friend....
            I wasn't comparing it to yours personally Jon.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
              I wasn't comparing it to yours personally Jon.
              ANY comparison with any Bullet nose and a Prius is still unacceptable. I'll probably cry myself to sleep tonight....
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Jon, would you like barrow a hankie?...and just what are we going to do with Pat? Drum him out of the club? Have him shot a sunrise? I know! Let's steal StuCool some dark night and replace it with a Prius...now that would teach him!
                ANY comparison with any Bullet nose and a Prius is still unacceptable. I'll probably cry myself to sleep tonight....
                Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 08-25-2013, 07:14 PM.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                  Jon, would you like barrow a hankie?...and just what are we going to do with Pat? Drum him out of the club? Have him shot a sunrise? I know! Let's steal StuCool some dark night and replace it with a Prius...now that would teach him!
                  Maybe we could get him a Prius to park next to STUCOOL. We could get a custom license plate for it that says "SNOTCOOL"
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Maybe we could get him a Prius to park next to STUCOOL. We could get a custom license plate for it that says "SNOTCOOL"
                    Any Prius parked next to STU COOL has been abandoned out of shame.
                    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Well Jon, hope you were able to sleep. I still think that certain Prius have some styling cues similar to Bullet nose Studes. Notice I did not say a Stude looks like a Prius. Might also note that Studebaker Champions were the gas mileage leaders of their day, not unlike the Prius.

Lou, as for stealing STU COOL, several nights a month my daughters 100+ pound Doberman is staying in our garage. Want to take a chance on guessing which night?

Maybe we should have a Prius park next to Jon's Bullet nose so the similarities are more noticeable? Of course, most people would not notice the Prius being too busy checking out the cool Stude.

And Tim you are making STU COOL blush...
                      Last edited by Pat Dilling; 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                        HAHA! Love it...
                        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Regal Deluxe Trim
                        Automatic transmission
                        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X