Does anyone else see Studebaker here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else see Studebaker here?

Every time I see one of these Toyota Priuses in my rear view mirror I think of a 50-51 bullet nose Studebaker. I have had another person mention it too. Did Toyota take styling cues from a 60 year old classic?

Click image for larger version

Name:	toyota_100182173_l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1740338

Name:	2011-toyota-prius-5dr-hb-ii-natl-grille_100332583_m.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1740340

Name:	toyota_100169160_m.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1740341
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Yes, if you squint.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Studebaker never built anything that ugly.

Comment

I think you need to get that picture off your rearview mirror <g>
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Maybe its just wishful thinking. You really WANT to see a bulletnose Stude in the rear view mirror. Believe me I understand, its lonely out there for all us Stude drivers. We seldom, if ever, run into our own kind on the road, but we all WISH we would
          Last edited by JoeHall; 08-22-2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
            Studebaker never built anything that ugly.
            Ha! Awesome.

I can't say that I see it. However there have been some older Mercedes that often look like old Studes.
            Even the Mercedes G Class SUV looks like the Studebaker XUV.

Comment

I don't see it without stretching my imagination. It must be very hard, however, for car companies to come up with new designs these days. Taking minor cues from the past isn't such a bad idea.
              As for it being lonely on the roads for we Studebaker drivers... I kinda like it that way. Nobody else out there is driving what I am driving so the stares just keep coming. Recently I saw a '56 Commander in the opposite left turn lane and I could not believe my eyes. We waved at each other as I passed. So, sometimes it's good to see another Studebaker on the road. Sort of like bikers who wave at each other as they pass on the highway.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I saw one of these yesterday & thought about how much they've been trying to copy the 55-57 Ford Taunus 12M, maby you Americans were saved from these ugly cars in those days?
                & yeah; there used to be ugly cars even back then but today they're probably considered charming...

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  Every time I see one of these Toyota Priuses in my rear view mirror I think of a 50-51 bullet nose Studebaker. I have had another person mention it too. Did Toyota take styling cues from a 60 year old classic?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26829[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26831[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]26832[/ATTACH]
                  Whenever I see a sleek red sports car I think of STU COOL.
                  Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
                  https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

I see exactly as you see- miniature Stude' nose. Just like when I see a Kia Amanti-i see a very "hawkish" grille.
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I had to take my contacts out and step several feet away... but then again at that distance, the dog looks like one.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Just go's to show enough beers a guy can see almost anything.

Comment

When I see any of those misshapen EGGS and look-alike ugly mini-Cars and wanna be SUV's in the mirror, for one thing they are usually disappearing rather quickly, and secondly I never look hard enough or care WHAT they really are!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I work for Toyota and can tell you extensive research and development went into the design of the Prius to achieve the lowest maximum drag, any resemblance to other cars is merely coincidence.

Comment

Pat, What you been smoking?
                              Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                              X