64 Hawk has new home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Hawk has new home

Picked up the Hawk and brought it home, trying to just make it legal right now with lights, brakes, turn signals etc. - exciting times!
    Dave Hugo
    Wellford, SC
    1940 Champion
    1950 Champion Coupe
    1955 President Coupe
    1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Very nice! Even has some gas in it! Now show us the rest of it.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

will take some pices this weekend and post - hopefully not so BIG

Dave
      Dave Hugo
      Wellford, SC
      1940 Champion
      1950 Champion Coupe
      1955 President Coupe

Comment

DAVE! Welcome! I don't know how I missed your posts until now. We can't be more than 15 or so miles apart. Right now I don't own a Hawk, but have had some in the past.

We need to get together for coffee and some good Studebaker conversation.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

awesome!!! saved me from temptation
          Mark Riesch
          New Bern, NC

Comment

looks like 38K miles on it and a nice revving tach gage .....better get those wiper blades fixed.....

Comment

Afraid it needs more than wiper blades. Going thru the motions of scratching my head and wondering where to start. Turned on hedlights and dash lights - nut dash lights MIA - so I started on electrical. Power to dash light switch, send power to out wires lights lit - didn't want to take switch apart so jumped hot lead from H/L switch to dash lights now they work when headlights are on. Fixed brake lights, turn signals (flasher), parking lights even backup lights. Body work is my weak point and it needs some - rust, paint, panels etc..
              John - would love to get together with you, I can bench race with the best of them but not too many stories with a Studebaker theme, working on those now
              Dave Hugo
              Wellford, SC
              1940 Champion
              1950 Champion Coupe
              1955 President Coupe

Comment

Remember, the dash is fiberglass. You will need to make certain the ground is good. Check that out. Also, the switches can acquire a small amount of corrosion that will cause them to not conduct at contact points. sometimes, a few cycles of operating the switches will restore them to conducting current. A careful placement of a shot of contact cleaner could help as well. However, be careful with that because the contact cleaner can dissolve paint and stain cosmetic surfaces.

Don't worry about the Studebaker stories. Heck, I have enough to loan you a few. You can always tell about the one your uncle had...you know...the 1950 Hawk...that would do 100 in second gear...once the overdrive kicked in...getting 30 miles per gallon....(we've all heard 'em)
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, I figured after reading the posts on here about instrument lighting that the 'bright' setting wasn't all that bright to begin with and after throwing power to them agreed so since the headlight switch feeds power to the intrument switch I decided at least for now to bypass the switch and take the power feed directly to the dash light wires so now when headlights are on, dash lights are on - all work except tach light and I after getting my head behind there and looking at the rats nest of wires around that area decided that was fine for now Since you are close I am hoping you are a body man I am a nut and bolts and figure it out kinda guy but never had the patience for or to learn body and paint much. Look forward to meeting with you and hearing the Studebaker stories. Close on the Uncle thing - the one Studebaker story I do have is my aunt was dating a guy with an Avanti and asked if I wanted to go for a ride - I was probably 14 - never forgot that trip down I-5 in Portland.
                  Dave

sent you a PM
                  Last edited by duncan1951; 01-11-2013, 06:55 AM.
                  Dave Hugo
                  Wellford, SC
                  1940 Champion
                  1950 Champion Coupe
                  1955 President Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                    Very nice! Even has some gas in it! Now show us the rest of it.
                    OK here are the pics of Hawk at home
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00032.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1678500Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00033.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1678501Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00034.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1678502Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00035.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1678503Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00036.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1678504Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00037.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1678505
                    Dave Hugo
                    Wellford, SC
                    1940 Champion
                    1950 Champion Coupe
                    1955 President Coupe

Comment

'Looks nice, Dave. Congrats. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob - didn't take close ups of the rust the trunk shot would have been interesting, like taking pics of a lace veil. I will post pics as I start to learn the body repair trade
                        Dave Hugo
                        Wellford, SC
                        1940 Champion
                        1950 Champion Coupe
                        1955 President Coupe

Comment

That's a real good looking GT Hawk. Very classy color combo, my first thought was a white jacket tuxedo. Should be one you can have a lot of fun with.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                            That's a real good looking GT Hawk. Very classy color combo, my first thought was a white jacket tuxedo. Should be one you can have a lot of fun with.
                            Funny you should mention that - when I get ready to have it painted (5-7 years from now maybe) Should I change to a color other than white? Opinions please. everyone has one.
                            Dave Hugo
                            Wellford, SC
                            1940 Champion
                            1950 Champion Coupe
                            1955 President Coupe

Comment

i like the colors as they are. if it was just all white, i'd probably have a different answer. the top really makes it look sharp!
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X