No announcement yet.

64 Hawk has new home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John, the weather has been a bit miserable - now I remember why I left Oregon. You are welcome any time to come by and view the rust . No hurry, getting some new shoes put on the rims hopefully tomorrow or Thursday then I can keep working on reliablility and enjoy tooling around in the Hawk, at 40 feet and 40 mph it probably won't look too bad! When the weather gets better and you would like a hand on the engine stand I would be glad to come over and help (or watch ). I think you are only about 10 miles away so maybe the Stude could possibly make it to visit. I would like your take on the car, observations and suggestions - may not heed them but would welcome them anyway.

I put $15 of premium gas in the Hawk, that should shake it up!

Need to look at a tune up, cleaning of the interior, wash job etc., so there is plenty to do before attacking the body I suppose.
    Dave Hugo
    Duncan, SC
    sigpic 1959 Silver Hawk 1955 President

Comment

Dave, totally agree with Mr. C!!! unless you have a 'cave with HVAC, or at least heat to remove the moisture - the body work can wait for a couple months.

if the rust is really bothering you, and i'm thinking that's where it can be seen on the body, you could scrape it with a wire brush, clean that up and rattle can some white primer on it - using a heat gun in between steps.

BUT - IMHO that's basically a waste of time. all that work will have to come off when you do it "properly" and after 49 years, it's not going to get much worse in 2 or 3 months. much better time would be spent with the gas tank problem, and any stopping & running probs!

EDIT: i'm a slow typist, (and an interuption) - just saw your last post. right on!
      Last edited by Corvanti; 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Duncan Wish I could come down I haven't been down that way in years. My son just moved from SC. to Iowa he was in the navy. If I did I wouldn't get my hawk done. Got some done on the drivers door today. Plus I just had a guy drop off a 34 Dodge truck from GreenBay Wi. That I have to have done by the frist of may and have a 62 chev in the shop for a complete to. You can do it. See you at one of the international meets.

Comment

I went to have some tires installed on the Studebaker, the ones that came with it were just rags to hold air. Got the tires on and happily started heading home. I was on a thru traffic state road and was approaching an intersection that the cross traffic was controlled by stop signs. Over the hill I came and this woman in a Ford Expedition looked my way and decided she could pull out, she failed to look to her right however and T-boned the front drivers side of the Dodge Ram pickup coming towards me. As the vehicles collided and started bouncing bits and pieces I keenly observed the Expedition's right front wheel, tire, spindle, the works bounding towards the Hawk and therefor towards me. The brakes seem to work well for drum brakes, pulled a bit to the right which was good in this instance and I was able to avoid the bouncing ball. It's been a long time since I have witnessed two cars colliding and basically totalling each other out, just glad I and the Hawk were not involved. Both drivers were by themselves and both were uninjured. I was surprised at how much smoke was in the cabin of the Expedition from the air bag going off - the Dodge pickup had no such issue as his never deployed even though the left front got nailed.Fire department showed up in less than 10 minutes. Had to wait nearly 30 minutes for the highway patrol to arrive to take my witness statement - got practice kicking plastic pieces to the side of the roadway and directing traffic so all was not lost.
          Dave Hugo
          Duncan, SC
          sigpic 1959 Silver Hawk 1955 President

Comment

Whew! My first read of that was the Expedition T-boned you. Really happy that was not the case and that you were able to dodge the bouncing tire. Just shows how important it is to make sure brakes are working well before venturing out in a newly acquired vehicle, especially an older one. That "smoke" you saw in the Expedition was likely a fine powder they use to make sure the folded airbag does not stick to itself after long time in storage. Good you did your citizen's duty of waiting to make a statement and help.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

That was a close one glad you and the hawk are both ok.

Comment

good to know that you and the Hawk were not involved. also glad to hear no one appeared to be injured in the collision.

i'm another advocate of repairs to "stop" before repairs to "go"! also, those new tires certainly helped.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Uh....that should be close enough for awhile! 'Glad you were only an impartial witness, Dave. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                  X