Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Hawk (just finished a frame off restoration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a great job on the restoration Roly.
    I would bet money that is the same Car that I walked by in the showroom and admired in 1960 or '61 at Frank H. Afton Studebaker/Mercedes on Market St. in Inglewood, CA. I even remember which spot in the 6 or so car Showroom it was in.
    My Dad could have even sold it!

Rich.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Lovely. What a sweet ride. I love that colour.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks very much, talked to you at Belleville. I had my 62 Daytona hardtop there. Roly

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
        studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Rich,
          Thanks for the compliment on the car. It was shipped on January 18 to Inglewood California. My build sheet does not give the dealer's name. It had a parking window sticker on it from a university in that area. The build sheet says that Rivera Robertson was the shipper. Did your dad work for that dealer?

studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
            Roly always seems to pull off a beautiful restoration. I wish I had his talent.

Allen
            Don't we all. Such a nice job, just as good as the factory might have done on their best day. Not over restored, but no faults either. So many of the best cars don't "look" right because they've been "restored" to something the factory would/could never have done, but this one looks perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
              Rich,
              Thanks for the compliment on the car. It was shipped on January 18 to Inglewood California. My build sheet does not give the dealer's name. It had a parking window sticker on it from a university in that area. The build sheet says that Rivera Robertson was the shipper. Did your dad work for that dealer?
              Yes my Dad was a Salesman at Frank H. Afton Co. in Inglewood, the only dealer there.
              Rivera and Robertson were only Trucking/Auto Transporters and or Railroads or Transfer Points etc. for Shipping.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

WOW! Nice car! This is identical to one a friend of mine got for his H.S. graduation present. I remember that car well cause I always drooled over it!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Yes my Dad was a Salesman at Frank H. Afton Co. in Inglewood, the only dealer there.
                  Rivera and Robertson were only Trucking/Auto Transporters and or Railroads or Transfer Points etc. for Shipping.
                  Now this is 'way cool. How many other "kids" on the forum would like to see such a thorough restoration on a car their Dad sold new?

Extant records at The Studebaker National Museum list the original salesman's name, and I believe they go back to 1961. If Susie & Company are in South Bend "as advertised," it would be worth doing the research to determine if Rich's Dad sold the car new. I hope it can be confirmed such.

Cool beans. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Just beautiful, Roly!

That color POPS on a 61...my favorite.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Bob and Rich,
                      I think that is too cool for words. When we are in South Bend, we will check to see. Rich you will have to give us a surname to look for. As an aside, I am Susan and my late father and my uncle worked at the Hamilton plant from '48, my father until closing. I would have given anything to drive anything but a Studebaker as a teenager. I learned to drive on a '59 Lark with no power and no radio. When Roly worked for Otis in Hamilton, he used to see the hawks going into the dip tanks. Currently we own a '64 Avanti R1, a '62 Daytona(best in class at Cedar Rapids) somewhat modified and the '61 Hawk. My father is most likely laughing at me now. Take care and see you in the Bend .... Roly and Sue
                      Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Now this is 'way cool. How many other "kids" on the forum would like to see such a thorough restoration on a car their Dad sold new?

Extant records at The Studebaker National Museum list the original salesman's name, and I believe they go back to 1961. If Susie & Company are in South Bend "as advertised," it would be worth doing the research to determine if Rich's Dad sold the car new. I hope it can be confirmed such.

Cool beans. BP

studenews@outlook.com

Comment

I saw the other picture on photobucket. That is truly an outstanding restoration! I'm looking forward to seeing the car in South Bend.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

very nice Hawk, SusieQ, I hope mine will look half that good!

Comment

super nice hawk. when I came back from vietnam I bought a 61 hawk 4 speed car, it was white. I then found parts car that was pink and also a 4 speed, anyway I loved that car. I put over a 100,000 miles on it on top of what it already had. You did a super job restoring that hawk, thanks for saving another studebaker

Comment

Beautiful car! It is especially nice to see a car that is truly restored (correct).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very nice, I got one exactly like her sitting in my driveway!
                                sigpic
                                1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
                                X