Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Hawk (just finished a frame off restoration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clem64
    replied
    Beautiful. Looks like a new car. Our 61' Hawk also came from Inglewood. It's Desert Sand with a tan vinyl interior.

Leave a comment:

• MRHawkes
    replied
    Roly & Sue, you know how I feel about the Hawks. Great job, I hope to see it at the next meeting. I will try to make it depending on a rad re-core, weather, work...... Again very nice job on the car.

Leave a comment:

• SusieQ
    replied
    Rich,
    We have a call in to the museum to check out the information about the salesman. Will keep you posted. Andy Beckman is not back until Monday... Roly....

Leave a comment:

• R_David
    replied
    Very nice, I got one exactly like her sitting in my driveway!

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Beautiful car! It is especially nice to see a car that is truly restored (correct).

Leave a comment:

• TMAN0950
    replied
    super nice hawk. when I came back from vietnam I bought a 61 hawk 4 speed car, it was white. I then found parts car that was pink and also a 4 speed, anyway I loved that car. I put over a 100,000 miles on it on top of what it already had. You did a super job restoring that hawk, thanks for saving another studebaker

Leave a comment:

• adolphpeavy
    replied
    very nice Hawk, SusieQ, I hope mine will look half that good!

Leave a comment:

• plwindish
    replied
    I saw the other picture on photobucket. That is truly an outstanding restoration! I'm looking forward to seeing the car in South Bend.

Leave a comment:

• SusieQ
    replied
    Hi Bob and Rich,
    I think that is too cool for words. When we are in South Bend, we will check to see. Rich you will have to give us a surname to look for. As an aside, I am Susan and my late father and my uncle worked at the Hamilton plant from '48, my father until closing. I would have given anything to drive anything but a Studebaker as a teenager. I learned to drive on a '59 Lark with no power and no radio. When Roly worked for Otis in Hamilton, he used to see the hawks going into the dip tanks. Currently we own a '64 Avanti R1, a '62 Daytona(best in class at Cedar Rapids) somewhat modified and the '61 Hawk. My father is most likely laughing at me now. Take care and see you in the Bend .... Roly and Sue
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Now this is 'way cool. How many other "kids" on the forum would like to see such a thorough restoration on a car their Dad sold new?

Extant records at The Studebaker National Museum list the original salesman's name, and I believe they go back to 1961. If Susie & Company are in South Bend "as advertised," it would be worth doing the research to determine if Rich's Dad sold the car new. I hope it can be confirmed such.

Cool beans. BP

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Just beautiful, Roly!

That color POPS on a 61...my favorite.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Yes my Dad was a Salesman at Frank H. Afton Co. in Inglewood, the only dealer there.
    Rivera and Robertson were only Trucking/Auto Transporters and or Railroads or Transfer Points etc. for Shipping.
    Now this is 'way cool. How many other "kids" on the forum would like to see such a thorough restoration on a car their Dad sold new?

Extant records at The Studebaker National Museum list the original salesman's name, and I believe they go back to 1961. If Susie & Company are in South Bend "as advertised," it would be worth doing the research to determine if Rich's Dad sold the car new. I hope it can be confirmed such.

Cool beans. BP

Leave a comment:

• radiotech
    replied
    WOW! Nice car! This is identical to one a friend of mine got for his H.S. graduation present. I remember that car well cause I always drooled over it!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
    Rich,
    Thanks for the compliment on the car. It was shipped on January 18 to Inglewood California. My build sheet does not give the dealer's name. It had a parking window sticker on it from a university in that area. The build sheet says that Rivera Robertson was the shipper. Did your dad work for that dealer?
    Yes my Dad was a Salesman at Frank H. Afton Co. in Inglewood, the only dealer there.
    Rivera and Robertson were only Trucking/Auto Transporters and or Railroads or Transfer Points etc. for Shipping.

Leave a comment:

• jnormanh
    replied
    Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
    Roly always seems to pull off a beautiful restoration. I wish I had his talent.

Allen
    Don't we all. Such a nice job, just as good as the factory might have done on their best day. Not over restored, but no faults either. So many of the best cars don't "look" right because they've been "restored" to something the factory would/could never have done, but this one looks perfect.

Leave a comment:

• SusieQ
    replied
    Rich,
    Thanks for the compliment on the car. It was shipped on January 18 to Inglewood California. My build sheet does not give the dealer's name. It had a parking window sticker on it from a university in that area. The build sheet says that Rivera Robertson was the shipper. Did your dad work for that dealer?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X