I thought I had every socket I needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a nice group we have.

No one even mentions how extremely rare a studebacker is ?

I want one.

Dean.

Comment

You only find those in ARKANSAW!!! You busted me because I'm a stickler for spelling. My mother did that to me since she was a DDS and attorney.

Comment

We once needed to remove the con rod cap from a 600 ton stamping press in the boonies of WV. The nearest 4" socket I could find was in Chicago.

A 1" impact wrench wouldn't budge the nuts.

Four guys on a 10' length of pipe finally got the job done.

You wouldn't believe what one 4" socket costs.

Comment

Did they also sell those at Studerbaker dealerships?

Comment

Just to be sure you do know that after you remove that big castellated nut that you have to use a hub puller to remove the rear drum right? The hub and drum come off the axle as a unit.

Joe
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

I've been meaning to mention this set from Craftsman, which comes up on sale quite often...perfect for the crank bolt. Metric set available as well.

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

The 6 point impact socket is the best choice. It's much stronger, less likely to "round off" the nut, and obviously less likely to break. It also is beneficial to let some penatrant soak, if you have time.

Dan Miller
                Auburn, GA

Comment

In the last couple of years I've come up with two separate (non-Studebaker) applications requiring a 7mm Allen key. It took a while to figure out what I even needed because no SAE or Metric set I could find had whatever it was that fit in that hole! I thought for a minute that there must be a Whitworth version of Allens! I've got one now (two, actually) and I may never use them again!

Comment

Working...
                  X