No announcement yet.

I thought I had every socket I needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought I had every socket I needed.

WRONG!!! I buy a Studebacker and go to take off the rear drum and come to find out I need a 1 1/2 inch Socket. But I also had to buy a 1/2 to 3/4 inch adapter. Don't get me wrong, i love buying new tools. I didn't like the price.

I have a different 1 1/2" socket in my tool box for every day of the week and I really don't know why!
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Now you can remove the rear drum AND the crankshaft bolt...
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thankfully I work for a Truck dealership. I just borrowed a 1 1/2" from a tech for my crankshaft bolt. By the way, anyone want to buy a crank pulley installer for $25.00? Only used once for a Sunday drive!
        sigpic

Packardbakerly,
        J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by RareBird View Post
          Thankfully I work for a Truck dealership. I just borrowed a 1 1/2" from a tech for my crankshaft bolt. By the way, anyone want to buy a crank pulley installer for $25.00? Only used once for a Sunday drive!
          Remember that Auto Zone and Advanced Auto will rent you the tools for these jobs for the grand sum of $00.00 if you give them a credit card when you pick them up. They will credit you with that amount when you return same. I get quite a few specialty tools for that enormous fee.

Secondly, I know a ton of folks on the forum won't buy from Harbor Freight if Tom McCahill himself endorsed them but I have a 3/4" drive socket set from them that goes to 3" and cost under $50. They work great for axles and differential nuts.

Beats buying them one at a time and they are always on hand.

Bob

Comment

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I've been turning wrenches for 30+ years and never needed a 1 1/2 inch. I went to harbour freight and they didn't have one so I went back to sears and ordered one. I borrowed one for the interum. If I don't keep on this Stude truck it may never get done.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Secondly, I know a ton of folks on the forum won't buy from Harbor Freight if Tom McCahill himself endorsed them but I have a 3/4" drive socket set from them that goes to 3" and cost under $50. They work great for axles and differential nuts.

Beats buying them one at a time and they are always on hand.

Bob
                HA! I have the same set! For the job of crank nuts and rear drums, that is one big ratchet and flex bar.
                For no more than I use 3/4 drive this set sits away from the more widely used craftsman and snap on tools.
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Oldwood, for some reason your phone goes straight to voice mail whenever Joe tries to call you about the parts. Try calling him at the East Race Ave. O'Reilly store 12-9PM most days.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                    I have a different 1 1/2" socket in my tool box for every day of the week and I really don't know why!
                    This is good to know!
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

To: oldwood,---- Too bad about having to buy the adapter. My 1 1/2" 'Snap-On' socket is 1/2" drive.

Comment

I won a 3/4" drive set with breaker bar and a ratchet as door prize raffle at a car show a few years ago. Like has been said earlier, I hardly ever used it, but when I need a big socket this comes in handy. As little as I used it I would never consider replacing it with "good" set. Too much money and not enough need.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

On big sizes like that, I usually buy impact sockets, they are spendy but you never have to worry about them breaking, and my 1/2" IR Ti impact wrench has yet to find a nut that it can't take off.

Comment

I just bought one of these...in stock at my local Lowes

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338128-22328...ket&facetInfo=

Affordable and a lifetime warranty

Comment

I bought my Matco 3/4 drive set at a garage sale.Breaker bar,ratchet,sockets from 1" to 1 15/16"
                              $20.00
                              Dont think they knew what they had when selling Dads old tools.
                              Make sure someone in the family knows what your tools are worth.
                              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                              X