No announcement yet.

Grandpas Hawks Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thirty years ago, in the Mass -RI Chapter, we had a retired USAF (Physical retirement, IIRC) who had a black '64 4-door Lark.
    He was a bit shrivelled, due to his ailment I guess.
    He would get behind a couple of kids getting ready to drag, follow them up to 60 MPH or so, then blink his lights and wave at them to get out of his way.

Oh, it was a super-Lark, as you probably guessed.
    Karl

Comment

Thirty years ago, in the Mass -RI Chapter, we had a retired USAF (Physical retirement, IIRC) who had a black '64 4-door Lark.
      He was a bit shrivelled, due to his ailment I guess.
      He would get behind a couple of kids getting ready to drag, follow them up to 60 MPH or so, then blink his lights and wave at them to get out of his way.

Oh, it was a super-Lark, as you probably guessed.
      Karl

Comment

Episode 4 " How Fast will it go"
        My uncle how was about 18 at the time was leaving Mark Center Ohio heading home. I dont recall the highway number but i believe it heads west for about 10 miles straight as an arrow. When he pulled out of town he laid the hammer down. He ran it all the way though 3rd gear the let it go into overdrive. He continue to pull over drive third gear for almost 4 miles. He swearsthe speedo was wrapped around to 35mph and the car doing 5500rpm in overdrive 3rd gear. At th4 road 4 miles out of town he let out on the gas and coasted. at the next mile he applied the brakes after a short stent on the brakes he said they didnt do much good he coasted at the road 6 miles out of town he wanted to make a left turn we he didnt attempt to turn when he went by the raod he was still doing more than 120mph.

its a wonder i ever ended up with my hawk, it should be scattered all over ohio.

Erin Hays
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Lark
        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Episode 4 " How Fast will it go"
          My uncle how was about 18 at the time was leaving Mark Center Ohio heading home. I dont recall the highway number but i believe it heads west for about 10 miles straight as an arrow. When he pulled out of town he laid the hammer down. He ran it all the way though 3rd gear the let it go into overdrive. He continue to pull over drive third gear for almost 4 miles. He swearsthe speedo was wrapped around to 35mph and the car doing 5500rpm in overdrive 3rd gear. At th4 road 4 miles out of town he let out on the gas and coasted. at the next mile he applied the brakes after a short stent on the brakes he said they didnt do much good he coasted at the road 6 miles out of town he wanted to make a left turn we he didnt attempt to turn when he went by the raod he was still doing more than 120mph.

its a wonder i ever ended up with my hawk, it should be scattered all over ohio.

Erin Hays
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Lark
          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Episode 5 " avoid a crash"
            Grandpa and his younger brother Earl were heading to Kentucky for a family reunion. Grandpa had decide to let earl drive since earls studebaker was a lark VI. they were running along just fine when they happened along a log truck. earl followed the log for a long way up and over hills and around curves until they came to a passing zone earl crept up on the truck then downshifted to second and layed into the throttle. the hawk kicked out of overdrive and lunged forward. Grandpa seen the logs coming so he curled up in a ball and whimperd in the floor. Earl cut hard to the left and said the back of the truck could have missed the piller of the windshield by more than a couple inches. the rest of the pass was uneventfull. after the pass grandpa edged back into his seat and said," Damn it earl this isnt a lark VI. This is a Studebaker V-8 you got the power to get the job done, pull out then floor it." shortly they came to a gas station where granpa had him pull over so he could drive. Earl said i think that was the last time he let me drive that car.
            I havent let him drive it either.

Erin Hays
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Lark
            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Episode 5 " avoid a crash"
              Grandpa and his younger brother Earl were heading to Kentucky for a family reunion. Grandpa had decide to let earl drive since earls studebaker was a lark VI. they were running along just fine when they happened along a log truck. earl followed the log for a long way up and over hills and around curves until they came to a passing zone earl crept up on the truck then downshifted to second and layed into the throttle. the hawk kicked out of overdrive and lunged forward. Grandpa seen the logs coming so he curled up in a ball and whimperd in the floor. Earl cut hard to the left and said the back of the truck could have missed the piller of the windshield by more than a couple inches. the rest of the pass was uneventfull. after the pass grandpa edged back into his seat and said," Damn it earl this isnt a lark VI. This is a Studebaker V-8 you got the power to get the job done, pull out then floor it." shortly they came to a gas station where granpa had him pull over so he could drive. Earl said i think that was the last time he let me drive that car.
              I havent let him drive it either.

Erin Hays
              1961 Hawk
              1962 Lark
              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

episode 6 second gear.
                Grandpa and some buddies were on a trip to Michigan to get a trunk full of mushrooms. On the way up 1 of the guys was bugging him and made the comment, Kelly, I thought this car was fast? How come you drive like an old man?
                Grandpa responded by saying this car will run faster in second gear than you have ever been. That guy laughed and said ill put ten bucks on that. So grandpa being the good sport pushed the clutch in and said reach over and put it in second and we will see just how fast you want to go. So he put it in second and grandpa rolled the throttle down to wide open throttle but not enough to kick it out of overdrive. In not much time at all the were over a 100 mph. that guy said that pretty good for second. Grandpa said oh, shes not even close to done. They went on up and at 120 grandpa said," i am out of speedometer want me to keep going or can i shift now?" The guy said go ahead and shift, but you can slow down alittle if you like.
                Grandpa ,never letting out on the throttle then ask," is my old Studebaker fast?" the guy said o yea its fast. Grandpa said then give me my ten bucks. The guy then said ill give you your ten when we get back down to 75mph. Grandpa said that works for me eased up and got down to a safe spped to recieve his 10 dollars.

Erin Hays
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Lark
                1963 Wagonaire

Comment

episode 6 second gear.
                  Grandpa and some buddies were on a trip to Michigan to get a trunk full of mushrooms. On the way up 1 of the guys was bugging him and made the comment, Kelly, I thought this car was fast? How come you drive like an old man?
                  Grandpa responded by saying this car will run faster in second gear than you have ever been. That guy laughed and said ill put ten bucks on that. So grandpa being the good sport pushed the clutch in and said reach over and put it in second and we will see just how fast you want to go. So he put it in second and grandpa rolled the throttle down to wide open throttle but not enough to kick it out of overdrive. In not much time at all the were over a 100 mph. that guy said that pretty good for second. Grandpa said oh, shes not even close to done. They went on up and at 120 grandpa said," i am out of speedometer want me to keep going or can i shift now?" The guy said go ahead and shift, but you can slow down alittle if you like.
                  Grandpa ,never letting out on the throttle then ask," is my old Studebaker fast?" the guy said o yea its fast. Grandpa said then give me my ten bucks. The guy then said ill give you your ten when we get back down to 75mph. Grandpa said that works for me eased up and got down to a safe spped to recieve his 10 dollars.

Erin Hays
                  1961 Hawk
                  1962 Lark
                  1963 Wagonaire

Comment

I'm glad I've got my Grandpa's boots on

quote:Originally posted by 1961HAWK

episode 6 second gear.

Erin Hays
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Lark
                    1963 Wagonaire
                    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)

Comment

I'm glad I've got my Grandpa's boots on

quote:Originally posted by 1961HAWK

episode 6 second gear.

Erin Hays
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Lark
                      1963 Wagonaire
                      Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                      57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                      57 SH (project)

Comment

It's funny how those stories evolve. I lost a drag race to Dennis at SASCO in the late 50's and we've told the story over and over. Through the years I've noticed folks would embellish the tale just a tiny bit at each telling, and we never bothering to correct each them. What started out to be a simple drag race with a funny ending, turned into the story of the century.
                        It is true that I spun out at the end and came close to going into a ditch. It's also true that when we met up later at the drive in I had pulled a roadside bush out by the roots with the hook on my 51's rear bumper during the spin. True too that Dennis and everyone else fell on the ground in laughter when I pulled in with the unnoticed greenery still attached. It is not true that I had pulled up a small sapling that was waving above my roof, nor was the spin out done at over 100 MPH.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                        64 GT R2
                        63 GT R2
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        58 Starlight
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

It's funny how those stories evolve. I lost a drag race to Dennis at SASCO in the late 50's and we've told the story over and over. Through the years I've noticed folks would embellish the tale just a tiny bit at each telling, and we never bothering to correct each them. What started out to be a simple drag race with a funny ending, turned into the story of the century.
                          It is true that I spun out at the end and came close to going into a ditch. It's also true that when we met up later at the drive in I had pulled a roadside bush out by the roots with the hook on my 51's rear bumper during the spin. True too that Dennis and everyone else fell on the ground in laughter when I pulled in with the unnoticed greenery still attached. It is not true that I had pulled up a small sapling that was waving above my roof, nor was the spin out done at over 100 MPH.

JDP/Maryland
                          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                          64 GT R2
                          63 GT R2
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          58 Starlight
                          52 & 53 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

rusty nut garage do you not think my hawk will run 12o in second gear?

Erin Hays
                            1961 Hawk
                            1962 Lark
                            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

rusty nut garage do you not think my hawk will run 12o in second gear?

Erin Hays
                              1961 Hawk
                              1962 Lark
                              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

The only fast studebaker I ever owned was a 58 Packard Hawk-it surprized a few Camero's & Mustangs but not too many Chrysler's.The 2bbl. V/8's I found 2-B a bit of a slug.

Comment

Working...
                                X