No announcement yet.

Grandpas Hawks Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Matthew i will tell you one of my stories will call it.
    "XKE an ME"

My Bestfriend since the third grade and I attended a Car Show. This was his first time in my Hawk since about 1986 when you still had to sit on buckets platic ones... We had a great time at the show and my Hawk was looking its best but didnt trophy, not the first time so i got over it. We hung around to watch most eveyone leave so we could see the smoke fest, at this show most cars do alittle burnout as they leave. well the smoke had cleared and we headed up the road when i noticed a Jaguar XKE that had been in the show pulled over at the side of the road. So being the nice guy i am i was pulling over to help when he took off. So i pulled back in line and we were running down the hwy about 50 mph. Thats when it started Mr. XKE decided to kick it down 2 little puffs of black smoke and he was heading out. I looked at my buddy and ask "Should i let him Get away with that?" Of course he said "Heck No" so pulled in down to second and let it eat about 75 i let it go back into overdrive in second gear. By about 100mph i was back on Mr. XKE like a Hawk on a Feild mouse. By 110 i decided i got a pass him or quit, since i have never been much a quitter i pulled out. when i was right beside him i looked at him and he looked at me i reach up and put the hawk in third at almost 120mph. i thought he was going to poop himself from the expression on his face. He instantly quit i went on around got my Hawk back down to a nice little cruising speed and easied my way home. The old girl impressed Me, my Buddy and pretty sure Mr. XKE was impressed too. That is the fastest i have had my Hawk and the only time i have had it over 100. It is also the reason i know it will run 120 in second gear. I dont think She < my Hawk> would impress to many people at the drags but she is one long legged lady.

Erin Hays
    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
    RZRECTD
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Lark
    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Well Matthew i will tell you one of my stories will call it.
      "XKE an ME"

My Bestfriend since the third grade and I attended a Car Show. This was his first time in my Hawk since about 1986 when you still had to sit on buckets platic ones... We had a great time at the show and my Hawk was looking its best but didnt trophy, not the first time so i got over it. We hung around to watch most eveyone leave so we could see the smoke fest, at this show most cars do alittle burnout as they leave. well the smoke had cleared and we headed up the road when i noticed a Jaguar XKE that had been in the show pulled over at the side of the road. So being the nice guy i am i was pulling over to help when he took off. So i pulled back in line and we were running down the hwy about 50 mph. Thats when it started Mr. XKE decided to kick it down 2 little puffs of black smoke and he was heading out. I looked at my buddy and ask "Should i let him Get away with that?" Of course he said "Heck No" so pulled in down to second and let it eat about 75 i let it go back into overdrive in second gear. By about 100mph i was back on Mr. XKE like a Hawk on a Feild mouse. By 110 i decided i got a pass him or quit, since i have never been much a quitter i pulled out. when i was right beside him i looked at him and he looked at me i reach up and put the hawk in third at almost 120mph. i thought he was going to poop himself from the expression on his face. He instantly quit i went on around got my Hawk back down to a nice little cruising speed and easied my way home. The old girl impressed Me, my Buddy and pretty sure Mr. XKE was impressed too. That is the fastest i have had my Hawk and the only time i have had it over 100. It is also the reason i know it will run 120 in second gear. I dont think She < my Hawk> would impress to many people at the drags but she is one long legged lady.

Erin Hays
      RZRECTD
      1961 Hawk
      1962 Lark
      1963 Wagonaire

Comment

I can tell you how fast [u]NOT</u> to go in a '61 Hawk with the windows down[B)]
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Hey, Erin, how fast have YOU gotten the Hawk up to? [)]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I can tell you how fast [u]NOT</u> to go in a '61 Hawk with the windows down[B)]
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Hey, Erin, how fast have YOU gotten the Hawk up to? [)]
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I thought it was only Avantis that blew out the back windows?

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I thought it was only Avantis that blew out the back windows?

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Great story, Erin!

My grandad once blew down the headliner in his '57 Silver Hawk while racing a Firebird I think. We've GOT to get the speedometer hooked up in that car! [)]

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Great story, Erin!

My grandad once blew down the headliner in his '57 Silver Hawk while racing a Firebird I think. We've GOT to get the speedometer hooked up in that car! [)]

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

My Hawk was on its 3rd headliner before i got it. lost 1 hood 2 windshields.
                    i use to be always running 90 with my hair on fire, but anymore it takes a little incentive to wind it on up... last week i was playing in my hawk and was running it though 2nd not in overdrive and hit about 70 and the speedomter went back to zero after checking it out i found it broke right at the speedometer. i thought i had an extra but it must be off a lark because it is to short. now i got to get another i dont know if i can just replace the cable inside or not. so right now my hawk is ageless never gains a mile.

Erin Hays
                    RZRECTD
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Lark
                    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

My Hawk was on its 3rd headliner before i got it. lost 1 hood 2 windshields.
                      i use to be always running 90 with my hair on fire, but anymore it takes a little incentive to wind it on up... last week i was playing in my hawk and was running it though 2nd not in overdrive and hit about 70 and the speedomter went back to zero after checking it out i found it broke right at the speedometer. i thought i had an extra but it must be off a lark because it is to short. now i got to get another i dont know if i can just replace the cable inside or not. so right now my hawk is ageless never gains a mile.

Erin Hays
                      RZRECTD
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Lark
                      1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Hey Erin; does that thing have 3.73 R/A gears in it? That's one strong top end! [^]

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hey Erin; does that thing have 3.73 R/A gears in it? That's one strong top end! [^]

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Erin Hays
                            RZRECTD
                            1961 Hawk
                            1962 Lark
                            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Erin Hays
                              RZRECTD
                              1961 Hawk
                              1962 Lark
                              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Episode 8 " you Might be a Redneck If"

O.k. Here it goes my grandpa and uncle Quinn went Coon hunting. They Loaded the old redbone in the trunk of the Hawk, Yes the trunk. Well they got to the spot where they were getting ready to let the dog run. Grandpa was to follow the dog uncle Quinn was to meet him on the next county road a mile over. Uncle Quinn was 16 and thought all right driving the Hawk Alone. This was his first trip in the Hawk alone. He left grandpa and eased up the road until he came to a crossroad where he had to turn right. He like any other 16 year old kid with no brain and fewer skills decided to let it eat around the corner. So he took off and dumped it hard. He said it started spinning good around the corner when it hooked and propelled him strainght across about a 2 foot deep ditch. So still not being very bright he kept it floored and was spinning dirt everywhere in a field cutting back towards the road he hit the ditch again running even faster to get back on the road. After he got back on the road he got out and walked around the car to make sure there was no damage. Not seeing anything he slowly crept back to where he was to pick up grandpa. After awhile grandpa showed up and ask "do you see a wreck? I heard a lot of crashing back that way" of course uncle Quinn had not seen anything. They reloaded the coon hound back into the trunk and uncle Quinn drove Cautiously home. The next Day Grandpa had to run into town. He got in the Stuidebaker and headed down the road as he always did just as fast as he wanted. after fighting the car for a mile he pulled over checked the car out then took it home for a look. only to find both front springs broken and the left tie rod badly bent. Well it didnt take him long to figure out where those crashing sounds came from. morale of the story " dont go coon hunting in a Hawk"

Erin Hays
                                RZRECTD
                                1961 Hawk
                                1962 Lark
                                1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                                X