No announcement yet.

Put Your Funny Studebaker Stories Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was still teaching I got my first Studebaker, a ’59 Lark hardtop. It was a unique car as there was not another such Studebaker in our area. I often stopped by a local Burger King on the way to work for breakfast. One day I pulled into the drive-through lane and placed my order. I pulled forward to the window, where I had to reach deep into my left front pocket for some cash. In doing so I pressed my left foot hard against the floor, thus straightening out my leg and pushing back on the seat. In doing so I guess I over stressed the bolt in the hinge for the seat back. This put me immediately flat on my back when the bolt broke and the seat back snapped back. I knew immediately what had happened, but the lady in the window certainly did not. She leaned out of the window with her eyes bugging our and looked down to see me laying flat in the car. She and I both broke out in laughter immediately. I mean there was no denying the humor in the strange event. I excused myself and slowly drove over to a parking place. By the time I got back to the inside of the restaurant, the entire staff was in laughter, as was I. I paid my bill, tipped my cap and went back to the Lark where luckily I had a bolt in the trunk that I wedged into the hole out of which the broken bolt had come and drove the rest of the way to work. I did lean forward for the rest of the trip.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

"Chris, I think you're out of gas..."

Oh fercryinoutloud. This kid puts the "Stud" in Studebaker, don't he?
      Yo Chris, did you look up her spare parts for her?
      Leading a charmed life, there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
        We were displaying our Studebakers for the California State fair when a woman that appeared to be in her 80s came up to our vice president Johna and said to her - "you'd be surprized what I used to do in the back seat of one of those".....
        ah, those california girls...
        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
        Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission
        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I think I told this one before, but here it is anyway. My first Studebaker was a '53 Commander hardtop which I bought in 1974. It was in absolutely miserable condition. Probably wasn't even safe to be on the road. I had it parked one day at my future wife's house when her Uncle came out to look it over. The hood wouldn't close, and I drove it with a rope tied from the hood around the front bumper. He looked at it and asked if the rope was used to pull the car down the road. He wasn't too far wrong.

Dave Bonn
          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Several years ago, I was driving the 63 GT with two grandchildren. It started to rain just a little. Just enough top wet the windshield. I told the kids "This car is so special all I have to do is tell it what I want it to do, and it will do it." I said "Wipe the Windshield!" Then I touched the WSW pedal on the floor with my toe and the wipers made 1 pass across the glass. The kids were amazed. One said "make it do it again" So I said "Do it again" One more pass of the wipers.

A year or so later the boy figgured out what I was doing. The girl didn't really care.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              Several years ago, I was driving the 63 GT with two grandchildren. It started to rain just a little. Just enough top wet the windshield. I told the kids "This car is so special all I have to do is tell it what I want it to do, and it will do it." I said "Wipe the Windshield!" Then I touched the WSW pedal on the floor with my toe and the wipers made 1 pass across the glass. The kids were amazed. One said "make it do it again" So I said "Do it again" One more pass of the wipers.

A year or so later the boy figgured out what I was doing. The girl didn't really care.
              At least I can laugh about it now. That was pretty embarrassing as a kid.

Comment

Neil, that story make me think of the current chevy truck {I think} commercial where the little boy is dressed in a Darth Vader costume and is trying to use his Jedi mind to move things in the house. He goes outside and is focusing his "mind" on the truck, his dad sees him and hits the remote starter button and the truck starts....the kid looks all shocked and turns to see if his dad Saw what he did....

Comment

It wasn't a Chevy Truck it was a VW.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                    It wasn't a Chevy Truck it was a VW.
                    Thanks for clarifying. I cant believe I paid any attention to a VW commercial...yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post

I tried the same trick on another grandson.(Josh) and he said "Oh, You just reached up there with your foot and hit that button!"
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

"It seemed SO RIGHT THEN, but SO WRONG NOW Dept."-------- My converting a '56 Skyhawk with a perfectly good automatic transmission, to a standard shift with floor-mounted shifter. This was done in
                        January in New England over a two day period , outside, with a temperature around 20' F., no lift (of course). Reason for doing this? 'stick shift vehicles are cool. (very coooool!!)
                        Of course, I was only about twenty at the time............

Comment

I am having visions of myself stuck frozen to the pavement and yelling for my wife to bring hot water to unfreeze my exposed love handles from the driveway if I did what you did SN-60.

Comment

TO; kmac530,---------- HA! HA!.......... Your vision is giving Me convulsions!

Comment

Glad somebody is laughing at me today.

Comment

I came out of my apartment this morning
                                to see this under the wiper of my '51.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	20210930_121656.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1913977
                                It's a bit rough, but I wouldn't quite call it junk; so I took the flyer and put it on somebody's brand new Mercedes.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	20210901_192256.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1913976
                                I got a feeling that Jim is going to be getting a call from a pissed off Mercedes owner.

Comment

Working...
                                X