Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobWaitz
    replied
    This is only 5 or 6 years ago: We were in South Bend for the May swap and the Michiana chapter was giving tours of Building 84. Four of us drove over there and parked on the wrong side (W. Bronson) and only figured it out after walking half-way around that massive building. I told them to keep going and I would run back for the car. On the way a bullet-nose pulled up ahead of me. A fellow got out and set up a placard, presumably to direct people to the correct side of the building. As I walked up to him he saw me and turned and smiled. "Studebaker?" I said. "Who made those?!" The look of sadness and disappointment on his face was too good! "Got you!" I yelled!

Leave a comment:

• jjester6000
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
    My first Studebaker was a '62 GT, and it was rather rough, but driveable... sort of. I went for a drive and when I returned home, I turned the key off, but the car kept running, just like I had done nothing with the key.

Still young and with only a dangerous amount of knowledge, I opened the hood and pulled one of the battery clamps off of the battery (You all remember when a cable clamp got stretched, how you'd squeeze it with vice grips and hammer it on? The you could yank it back off easily too). Anyway, thanks to the generator, it kept running. So what was I to do?

I know, I'll pull the coil wire off! Only dummy me, I pulled it out of the distributor cap and got quite a jolt. Worse, the engine started dieseling, the jolts kept coming, and I could not let go of the danged wire!

That was the second hardest that I've every seen my Dad laugh.
    I had the exact same thing happen on my '51 the other day, when the ignition switch broke.

For some reason, I decided to grab onto the whole cap, and my 50 year old dry rotted plug wires shocked the daylights out of me. The engine was still running, so my hand clamped down to the cap, and I couldn't move.

Luckily I discharged enough spark that the engine eventually died.

That was a serious near death experience, I remember messing around with a old television flyback transformer and getting 5000 volts across my arm, and this was way worse.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Maby not the funniest story;
    we only had two Studebakers when I was a kid & once between not owning one I was with my mum in her beetle at a trafic light when a 57-61 Hawk passed us & stopped in the other lane just ahead of us & she said "It's like being seriously sick of envy!"...
    I never understood why my Studebaker-fanatic parents sold any of the two they had.
    (& now it's way to late to ask)

Leave a comment:

• Anne F. Goodman
    replied
    Great Stories

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    I miss Carl, too - and even the old Studebaker newsgroup on Google Groups.

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    OK Dave, you and Loy win๐Ÿ˜‰

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Gosh, I miss you, Carl Purdy, RIP, and thanks for starting this thread. Stude friends are special!

Many moons ago, I met Stude friend Loy Daniel under some unique circumstances. He was a Texas State Trooper at the time, and I was on the Stillwater, OK police department. We were acquainted through the old Studebaker newsgroup, but had never met in person until the evening mentioned in the linked story. I guess we put our report writing skills to work as we told the story. Hope you enjoy:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/hpsdc/Kansas.html

Leave a comment:

• j.byrd
    replied
    r1lark, I gave it to a friend for helping me go get a 47 Standard Flying 8 Tourer I had bought with his truck and trailer, and I think he said he sold it to a gent in Kentucky... all this in the mid 90s, so no idea now, and sadly, my old friend passed away..

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    I drove to MD to get a cute โ€˜59 Lark. In those days I towed cars on a tow dolly behind a conversion van. So I arrived and by the time I got loaded and chatted a bit it was getting dark, so instead of checking out the rear axle like I should have I hit the road. I was cranking along the DC Beltway about 9 PM when suddenly I felt a bit of a sway. I looked behind me and saw an awesome array of sparks showering across the lanes from the Lark that was swinging back and forth. Of course I was in the hammer lane so I had to get it across 5 lanes of traffic to the shoulder. As I got to the farthest lane and was slowing down on the shoulder, the left rear tire from the car rolled lazily by and dropped over about 10 feet in front of the van lol.

A quick look at the car showed all the studs sheared off, and the holes in the wheel completely wallowed out. So, what to do? My solution was to continue along the shoulder with the flashers on for about 1/2 mile to the next exit. There I found a nice church parking lot (thank you Lord) where I unloaded the car, positioned the dolly behind the car, jacked up the car with my floor jack, and eased the dolly under. A little pulling with my come along and she was loaded backwards and strapped down, and the steering wheel tied. All that was left was a 9 hour white knuckle drive at 50 mph max with the Lark swaying side to side the whole way. Fun times.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Cool story! What happened to the '54?

Leave a comment:

• j.byrd
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4092 (2).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	1914194 I think the best I can do for funny stories is these: I found our Avanti in a backyard in Nashville, TN. about 1/2 mile from the big Studebaker Meet we had that year... 87 or 88. It belonged to the sales manager of Waller Buick there in town, and was partially cover'd with a badly tattered tarp. He said that in 1975 or so, they had told him if he drove "that blasted Studebaker" to work one more time, he could find another job. They gave him a Buick to drive when he said all he had was the Avanti, so then he just cover'd it up. It set there all those years and when I finally pleaded so long and pitifully, he sold it to us. We took a battery, some gas and a few tools up to his place and it fired right up after just a few cranks! There was acorns, mouse parts, leaves, and lots of unidentifiables shot out of both exhausts, and off we went. It was just 9 miles down Murfreesboro Road to our house, and I saw I was leaving a trail of smoke that cleared up quickly, but a pretty good stream of ???? on the road that didn't clear up. When we got to the red light about 1/2 mile from the house, it was all downhill from there, so I took off burning rubber, and wound that super find dream of mine out. When my wife pulled in behind me, I got no kind words, and she questioned my sanity, ha ! It was still idling perfectly, so I pulled it around back into our building and started really checking everything. The "oil" was still over half way up the dipstick,( !!!!! ) and smelled exactly like old gas with a little bit of fresh gas thrown in. Close shave, I could have blown that car to bits, but when we took the engine out to paint it, I took it apart, measured everything, freshened it up with no machine work needed ( !!!! ) and it lived cleanly and happily ever after. That engine sure was sparkly clean inside after that 9 mile gas cleaning, ha ha !

The 2nd "funny" is one day in LaVergne, TN. I was wandering around in a really old junk yard and after thrashing thru some huge weeds, found a 1954 Studebaker Drivers Training dual control car from Acme Drivers Training there in Antioch, TN. I asked the guys if they would sell it to me, and they said no, they had no title. I went back out there to look it over carefully, and for some reason, folded the passenger side visor down. The title was stuck up there and fell right into my lap ! I ran back around to the office, waved it at one of the guys I knew best, and he not only sold it to me, but delivered it to the house ! He said "we've had that car for years and could have sold it a dozen times if we had only had sense enough to look carefully for that title Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers ed car.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1914191 ," ha ! Click image for larger version

Name:	as was Avanti.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1914192 These pics are from the day I got each of them home. Still miss the Avanti pretty bad, it was a great car, and turned out looking great to us ! Sorry I can't get these pics to go in order or even where I want them.. Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4090 - Copy.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1914193

Leave a comment:

• Rafe Hollister
    commented on 's reply
    I'm still laughing 10 minutes later.

• Ron Dame
    replied
    My first Studebaker was a '62 GT, and it was rather rough, but driveable... sort of. I went for a drive and when I returned home, I turned the key off, but the car kept running, just like I had done nothing with the key.

Still young and with only a dangerous amount of knowledge, I opened the hood and pulled one of the battery clamps off of the battery (You all remember when a cable clamp got stretched, how you'd squeeze it with vice grips and hammer it on? The you could yank it back off easily too). Anyway, thanks to the generator, it kept running. So what was I to do?

I know, I'll pull the coil wire off! Only dummy me, I pulled it out of the distributor cap and got quite a jolt. Worse, the engine started dieseling, the jolts kept coming, and I could not let go of the danged wire!

That was the second hardest that I've every seen my Dad laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Corbinstein0
    replied
    I had a girlfriend once followed me home while I drove my '50 truck. That night, the wiring on the genny decided to catch fire after the regulator stuck.
    I pulled over and yanked up the hood to try to disconnect the battery with my shirt, while the truck is trying to go up in flames.
    She walks up and asks "what's wrong". I immediately yelled "get the hell outta here!", while I'm beating flames and finally got the battery cable off and the fire extinguished.

Of course, our Romantic Interlude that night got cancelled. Immediately.

Leave a comment:

• jjester6000
    replied
    I came out of my apartment this morning
    to see this under the wiper of my '51.

Name:	20210930_121656.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1913977
    It's a bit rough, but I wouldn't quite call it junk; so I took the flyer and put it on somebody's brand new Mercedes.

Name:	20210901_192256.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1913976
    I got a feeling that Jim is going to be getting a call from a pissed off Mercedes owner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X