carb selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb selection

I'm converting to a 4bbl carb on my C cab pickup 259 cid using a manifold from a 289 eng. First, can I do this & what other carbs will do the job besides the WCFB Carter?
    Last edited by al2stude; 03-17-2011, 08:41 AM. Reason: added 259 cid

Which engine?? 259 or 289 would do well with factory AFB. I have an aftermarket Edelbrock AFB clone on my slightly warmed 289 and it works great. It works well "out of the box" Even better with some tuning. 224 or 232 probably need a smaller carb yet.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I LOVE Carter carbs, rebuilt the Edelbrock one on my 383 MoPar and after only setting the floats it fired right up and ran like a charm! Thing is that this carb was last calibrated for a 400 Pontiac. Now that is a 750 CFM pot on an engine 100 cubes larger, but the 500 CFM should do the job for you.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

Only diff would be the carb angle (built into the intake), and the choice of a manual, or electric choke.
        The angle is so minor, I wouldn't sweat it.

Just run a small AFB (1406) 600cfm w/electric choke
        Trim off the bottom half of the throttle linkage.
        Block off the heat crossover port.
        Use an aftermarket air cleaner.
        Use the fibre heat resistant intake gaskets (the steel ones are not as good as the fibre ones, especially if the intake is off another engine.
        Open up the secondary ports a little to clear the secondary throttle butterflies, or use a heat soak stacked gasket set.
        Go have fun,

This is a very common swap.
        There have been dozens of post's and threads on this forum about all the little details.
        Do a good search and read up on it.
        It makes for a great driving improvement.
        Don't be askeered... Go for it!
        HTIH
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
          Which engine?? 259 or 289 would do well with factory AFB. I have an aftermarket Edelbrock AFB clone on my slightly warmed 289 and it works great. It works well "out of the box" Even better with some tuning. 224 or 232 probably need a smaller carb yet.
          Hi Kurt
          Which carb did you use 1406 600 cfm or 1403 500 cfm?
          And how "Slightly Warmed is your 289. What did you do to it?
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
          X