Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here

Hi All..
    Well I am a new guy here.. But by no means new to Studebakers.. In fact I am the sone of a long time dealer in Detroit Michigan.. Husak Brothers Inc. We also had Mercedes and Packard as well as DKW which Studebaker also imported...
    I currently don't own a Stuidebaker but amd beginning to look at them.. I have owned a number in the past.. The one I should have probably kept is an R1 Avanti that I origionally sold to it's first owner in 63. I bought it back (very Rough) in 69 and gave it to my brother to use for the next 12 years.. That didn't do too much good for it either..Well it was never oing to be the car I wanted due to it's mistreatment.. and the carlessness of the origional owner so I eventually sold it on the middle 90's..
    I am looking at a 61 hawk currently on EBay.. By any chance does anyone here know that car? It interests me cause it's a 4 speed car with A/C..
    Anyhow.. I look forward to lots of interesting conversations here.. Who knows.. Maybe I can actually contribute something!
    Ron Husak
    Conifer, Colorado
    Ron Husak
    Conifer, CO
    Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
    63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Welcome to the Forum, Ron!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome, Ron, from an Evergreen guy.

Comment

Welcome Ron! I am sure you do have many memories, people, stories etc. that we would love to hear about. Things like the last Days of Studebaker and special cars you remember etc. Very glad to have you here. We do have a few people here that were connected to Studebaker in some way.

I am the Son of a quite successful Studebaker Salesman (from 1955 to 1962) at Frank H. Afton Co. a Inglewood, CA Store that used to belong to a Studebaker Corp. President's family, Paul G. Hoffman.

Info on Mr. Hoffman, original owner of Frank H. Afton Studebaker here:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_G._Hoffman

It should not be hard for you to find a nice Studebaker here, many of us have 5 or 6, or a Hundred extra ones!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ron; Welcome to the SDC Forum. You've come to the right place to 'speak' Studebakerese. Are you a member of SDC, Inc., Antique Studebaker Club or the Avanti Club? All have great mags with lots of information, buy/sell, and most vendors use them to promote their parts, etc. You're doing the right thing by running by us any car you've set your eyes on. We don't know about every Studebaker extant, but we know most of them. We possibly could save you some headaches by you not getting stuck with a poor project.

You might also want to post the serial number or other data about your Avanti. Who knows, it may be someone's show car now. If it is still alive, I'll bet someone here will know about it. Keep us informed and let us discuss any problems you run into.

Frank Drumheller
          Locust Grove, VA
          60S-W6
          1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck
          Last edited by studelark; 01-25-2011, 04:10 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Glad to have you with us. Keep us up-to-date on your search.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Welcome and I quote from a famous detective:
              "Come Watson, the game's afoot!" Good luck on your quest!
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
                Welcome and I quote from a famous detective:
                "Come Watson, the game's afoot!" Good luck on your quest!
                LOL, good one! Wouldn't that be better as, 'Come Husak, the game's afoot!'

By the by Ron, welcome to the forum from another Ron.
                Last edited by studeclunker; 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hi All..
                  Thanks for all the welcomes.. Yes, for sure the game is afoot!
                  I do have lots of great memories of those great years.. Like the time I drove the first R2 Avanti in the state back to Detroit from South Bend.. It was a sold car to GM Engineering.. 411 gears and 4 speed.. I was in heaven.. Till I hit the flock of birds! Can you imagine a beautiful Turquoise Avanti with birds stuck the radiator?
                  I worked at the 62 Detroit Auto show on the Studebaker display.. And in fact won the Salesman's Award (A clock radio) from the Detroit Zone office for my knowledge and help..
                  I have many such stories.. But I am not a good enough typist to write about many of them.. My family never made a lot of money selling Studebaker's.. (it wasn't easy selling Studebaker's in Detroit). But we did earn a living and had great times.. And, memories that I will fondly always recall..
                  My search will probably take a while.. I am in no real hurry.. I don't have lots to invest but the right one will come along..
                  Frank.. You said someone here may know of my Avanti.. Well maybe so.. I will have to see if I still have the VIN etc. I am sure it is still alive.. It really was a pretty sound car.. But, as I said it just wasn't going to be the car I wanted.. for example.. Walter, the original owner, had several accidents with it.. One of them involved him running off of the road and punching a hole in the oil pan.. He blew the engine.. well he wanted the car fixed reasonably.. well I was Service Manager at our Dealership after we were already Dodge dealers.. Well I was able to buy a new short engine from Nate Altman in South Bend.. Except it was a 259. Well Walter didn't care so that is what we used.. It still looked like an original.. But didn't perform like one.. Things like that..
                  I had an interest in a Chrysler Plymouth store in Fort Wayne in the middle 80's and I Had our body shop strip and paint the car.. It looked pretty good actually.. But just wasn't going to be what I wanted it to be!
                  Looking forward to my journey with all of you.. Thanks for the welcome..
                  Ron Husak
                  Conifer, Colorado
                  Ron Husak
                  Conifer, CO
                  63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

So your the guy that put a 259 in one of those Avanti's, ha ha many have been found that way. Welcome to the forum, you'll have many laughs along the way.
                    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Look familiar? Looks to be 1953. You probably have a few hundred of these post cards?
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Richard.
                        Damned.. Actually I don't have any! Where on earth did you get that? My dad is the guy in the middle in blue! Man does that bring back memories..
                        Do you have any extras?
                        Ron
                        Ron Husak
                        Conifer, CO
                        63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
                          Richard.
                          Damned.. Actually I don't have any! Where on earth did you get that? My dad is the guy in the middle in blue! Man does that bring back memories..
                          Do you have any extras?
                          Ron
                          Sorry but I have no extras of that card but I could make you one. I have been collecting Studebaker post cards for over 35 years and have a rather sizeable collection.
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

My brother bought a new '51 from Husak Bros. Dealership is now a Ford Dealer.
                            Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

BeeJay..
                              Well the truth is.. The dealership pictured used to be a ford dealership.. It was Bielfield Ford.. They built a new store about a mile further down Michigan Avenue.. That one is still there..
                              We bought the Store next to us which was Armstrong Buick.. The building pictured on the card was destroyed by fire in 67.. The showroom anyways.. We continued to use the service department and body shop and operated out of the Showroom in the other building..
                              Then we eventually moved down Michigan Avenue to next to Bielfield Ford (across the side street) into the Thompson Chrysler Plymouth store..
                              All things come around.. The family's first Dealership was down Michigan Avenue between the two subsequent stores.. The Original and final buildings are still there..
                              Ron
                              Ron Husak
                              Conifer, CO
                              63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Working...
                              X