X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ronhusak
    replied
    Originally posted by Jet Green Daytona View Post
    I have a few pluses for that train of thought too, the stock original carb on the 350 already has issues. I know I can rebuild it, but I will still have a stock carb, and I already bought an Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap manifold for the 350 when that manifold first came out, so it will be a perfect match for the 600 cfm performer carb. I just got the newest Edelbrock catalogue and they are offering a "new" finish on their carbs, its called the vintage finish, it looks just like it sounds, like a factory 60's finished carb, and they also come in black which to me would be a good match with the black intake on the Stude.

Todd
    Todd..
    Black might look nice.. But when I first saw them I had to wonder how long they would look that good.. Mine after it was overhauled looked brand new.. But in very short order was stained but the alcohol laced fuel mad it look old pretty darned quick.. But it looked impressive when first installed..
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Jet Green Daytona
    replied
    Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
    Todd..
    That would be what I would do.. The 350 could much more easily handle the extra CFM's..
    Ron
    I have a few pluses for that train of thought too, the stock original carb on the 350 already has issues. I know I can rebuild it, but I will still have a stock carb, and I already bought an Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap manifold for the 350 when that manifold first came out, so it will be a perfect match for the 600 cfm performer carb. I just got the newest Edelbrock catalogue and they are offering a "new" finish on their carbs, its called the vintage finish, it looks just like it sounds, like a factory 60's finished carb, and they also come in black which to me would be a good match with the black intake on the Stude.

Todd

Leave a comment:

• ronhusak
    replied
    Ron, I listen to bad advice too! I am already running a carburetor that is too big, an Edelbrock performer 600 CFM, I am sure a 500 cfm would be adequate on the 289, the problem is it runs pretty good, so I can't get myself to spend money on something I might not need when I can spend it on something I do need. Of course the thought process is always going on in my head, I have a 71 El Camino with a 350 that I really need to put together and get on the road, so I can always put the 600 cfm on the 350 and get the 500 for the Studebaker.

Todd
    Todd..
    That would be what I would do.. The 350 could much more easily handle the extra CFM's..
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Jet Green Daytona
    replied
    Ron, I listen to bad advice too! I am already running a carburetor that is too big, an Edelbrock performer 600 CFM, I am sure a 500 cfm would be adequate on the 289, the problem is it runs pretty good, so I can't get myself to spend money on something I might not need when I can spend it on something I do need. Of course the thought process is always going on in my head, I have a 71 El Camino with a 350 that I really need to put together and get on the road, so I can always put the 600 cfm on the 350 and get the 500 for the Studebaker.

Todd

Leave a comment:

• ronhusak
    replied
    Todd..
    Can give you lots of advice.. Just don't know if any of it is any good!
    My supercharger and carburetor made the journey back to Jon Meyers for overhaul and set up last year..
    After falling off of a ladder (Washing my motorhome of all thinks) I screwed up my shoulder so it didn't get back on till this summer.. Well it still ran like crap!
    So the carburetor went for a trip again.. Jon "fattened" up the mixture again.. found slightly bent secondary shaft with some rust etc. and returned it. Well it runs MUCH better now but still some stuff to sort out! Choke doesn't come off nearly as quickly as it should.. Still doesn't come to idle as well as I would like.. But it is usable.. Good news is the supercharger does develop boost!
    But :-( the power steering stopped working..
    So as you see.. It goes on and on.. I drove it the 1300 miles home from South Bend via Detroit with just a water pump failure..But running wise did great just too rich as I came towards Denver.. When I started up into the hills it was just flat rich..
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Jet Green Daytona
    replied
    Todd..
    I will be working the event with local Avanti Owners Club next year.. Looking forward to it.. Probably have a bunch of "Rich" running Studebakers cause of the altitude.. I live at 9200 feet and am struggling with mine!
    Ron
    I'll be the one looking for tuning advice, since I am probably not much above sea level. I look forward to seeing you there.

Todd

Leave a comment:

• ronhusak
    replied
    Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
    Welcome to the Forum Ron
    It is always nice to get another 61 Hawk enthusiast on board.
    Good roads
    Brian & Sandi
    Brandy & Sandi..
    I am actually a fan of about all Studebaker's.. I currently have a 63 R2 Avanti.. I own an R1 Avanti that I had originally sold new for quite a few years.. Sold it in about 96..
    Bought this one in South Bend Last year.. Then drove it to Detroit the home here to the DEnver area..
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Welcome to the Forum Ron
    It is always nice to get another 61 Hawk enthusiast on board.
    Good roads
    Brian & Sandi

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    It is a small world!

Leave a comment:

• ronhusak
    replied
    Originally posted by qsanford View Post
    Hi Ron-
    Just go to ebay and search "1961 Studebaker Hawk photo". You will see several shots of both the interior and exterior. It is the black Hawk. You may have to zoom in the rear shot to see your decal!
    It was a beautiful car! Quentin
    Quenton.. Thanks for the tip.. Bought a couple.. That car could have been my cousins demo.. He had a 61 with a 3 speed and overdrive in black.. No way to tell for sure.. But sure looks as I remember it..
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• ronhusak
    replied
    Welcome aboard Ron, I noticed no one else mentioned it, but the 2013 International meet is in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I've only been to one international event, but Colorado Springs, will be the 2nd one I am attending. Lord willing.

Todd
    Todd..
    I will be working the event with local Avanti Owners Club next year.. Looking forward to it.. Probably have a bunch of "Rich" running Studebakers cause of the altitude.. I live at 9200 feet and am struggling with mine!
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Jet Green Daytona
    replied
    Welcome aboard Ron, I noticed no one else mentioned it, but the 2013 International meet is in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I've only been to one international event, but Colorado Springs, will be the 2nd one I am attending. Lord willing.

Todd

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    Guy's..
    I would like to see that shot of the 61 Hawk!
    We used to sell mostly to Ford and GM cars used for engineering comparison.. Studebaker's and Mercedes Benz's in the 50's and early 60's.. Then Dodges after 64.. They would order some wild combinations.. My cousin and I would sometime ferry cars from South Bend and Detroit when we needed them quickly. I will never forget driving a GM 63 Avanti R2 4 Speed with 4.11's in it back to Detroit.. And an absolutely stunning 220seb Coupe that was also for GM..
    Ron Husak
    63 R2 Avanti
    Hi Ron-
    Just go to ebay and search "1961 Studebaker Hawk photo". You will see several shots of both the interior and exterior. It is the black Hawk. You may have to zoom in the rear shot to see your decal!
    It was a beautiful car! Quentin

Leave a comment:

• ronhusak
    replied
    Guy's..
    I would like to see that shot of the 61 Hawk!
    We used to sell mostly to Ford and GM cars used for engineering comparison.. Studebaker's and Mercedes Benz's in the 50's and early 60's.. Then Dodges after 64.. They would order some wild combinations.. My cousin and I would sometime ferry cars from South Bend and Detroit when we needed them quickly. I will never forget driving a GM 63 Avanti R2 4 Speed with 4.11's in it back to Detroit.. And an absolutely stunning 220seb Coupe that was also for GM..
    Ron Husak
    63 R2 Avanti

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    Very interesting! There are other more detailed photos of the same car for sale by the same seller. Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X