No announcement yet.

Classic "Barn Find" Car Photos Wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

53, 54 Commander are my personal favorite. The magic touch of Raymond Loewy can really make the difference. I don't remember how it all started but one of the reasons I like Stude definitely have something to do with the incredible design of 53, 54 Commander. I'm not Studebaker owner, but when the right time comes that will be the right Stude for me.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by yorgee

53, 54 Commander are my personal favorite. The magic touch of Raymond Loewy can really make the difference. I don't remember how it all started but one of the reasons I like Stude definitely have something to do with the incredible design of 53, 54 Commander. I'm not Studebaker owner, but when the right time comes that will be the right Stude for me.
      I would like to help you get started off on the right foot. Raymond Loewy did not design the '53 Starliner. Bob Bourke did the design. Bob worked for Loewy Studios as head of the South Bend (Studebaker) location at the time. Like any company, the company, Loewy in this case, takes credit for what their employees, Bourke in this case, do. Loewy was an excellent salesman and a good selector of employees. Loewy spent little time in South Bend, mostly for photo op's. or to convince management of something.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by yorgee

I would like to help you get started off on the right foot. Raymond Loewy did not design the '53 Starliner. Bob Bourke did the design. Bob worked for Loewy Studios as head of the South Bend (Studebaker) location at the time. Like any company, the company, Loewy in this case, takes credit for what their employees, Bourke in this case, do. Loewy was an excellent salesman and a good selector of employees. Loewy spent little time in South Bend, mostly for photo op's. or to convince management of something.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

And to carry Gary's definitions one step further, Commander - Champion, both were made in the C & K body styles ( as well as the sedan/wagon lineup too ). The only real difference being Commanders had a V8 whilst Champions had a flathead 6.
          There LITTLE to distinguish one from the other without the hood up. The little emblems on the rear quarters and the "8" or "S" on the hood and deck lid. Oh, and the Commanders had a small "Commander" script on the deck lid as well (kinda looks outta place to my eye).
          On the inside, some subtle differences in upholstery and mainly the dash layout distinguish one from the other.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

And to carry Gary's definitions one step further, Commander - Champion, both were made in the C & K body styles ( as well as the sedan/wagon lineup too ). The only real difference being Commanders had a V8 whilst Champions had a flathead 6.
            There LITTLE to distinguish one from the other without the hood up. The little emblems on the rear quarters and the "8" or "S" on the hood and deck lid. Oh, and the Commanders had a small "Commander" script on the deck lid as well (kinda looks outta place to my eye).
            On the inside, some subtle differences in upholstery and mainly the dash layout distinguish one from the other.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X