Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    And to carry Gary's definitions one step further, Commander - Champion, both were made in the C & K body styles ( as well as the sedan/wagon lineup too ). The only real difference being Commanders had a V8 whilst Champions had a flathead 6.
    There LITTLE to distinguish one from the other without the hood up. The little emblems on the rear quarters and the "8" or "S" on the hood and deck lid. Oh, and the Commanders had a small "Commander" script on the deck lid as well (kinda looks outta place to my eye).
    On the inside, some subtle differences in upholstery and mainly the dash layout distinguish one from the other.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    And to carry Gary's definitions one step further, Commander - Champion, both were made in the C & K body styles ( as well as the sedan/wagon lineup too ). The only real difference being Commanders had a V8 whilst Champions had a flathead 6.
    There LITTLE to distinguish one from the other without the hood up. The little emblems on the rear quarters and the "8" or "S" on the hood and deck lid. Oh, and the Commanders had a small "Commander" script on the deck lid as well (kinda looks outta place to my eye).
    On the inside, some subtle differences in upholstery and mainly the dash layout distinguish one from the other.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by yorgee

53, 54 Commander are my personal favorite. The magic touch of Raymond Loewy can really make the difference. I don't remember how it all started but one of the reasons I like Stude definitely have something to do with the incredible design of 53, 54 Commander. I'm not Studebaker owner, but when the right time comes that will be the right Stude for me.
    I would like to help you get started off on the right foot. Raymond Loewy did not design the '53 Starliner. Bob Bourke did the design. Bob worked for Loewy Studios as head of the South Bend (Studebaker) location at the time. Like any company, the company, Loewy in this case, takes credit for what their employees, Bourke in this case, do. Loewy was an excellent salesman and a good selector of employees. Loewy spent little time in South Bend, mostly for photo op's. or to convince management of something.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by yorgee

53, 54 Commander are my personal favorite. The magic touch of Raymond Loewy can really make the difference. I don't remember how it all started but one of the reasons I like Stude definitely have something to do with the incredible design of 53, 54 Commander. I'm not Studebaker owner, but when the right time comes that will be the right Stude for me.
    I would like to help you get started off on the right foot. Raymond Loewy did not design the '53 Starliner. Bob Bourke did the design. Bob worked for Loewy Studios as head of the South Bend (Studebaker) location at the time. Like any company, the company, Loewy in this case, takes credit for what their employees, Bourke in this case, do. Loewy was an excellent salesman and a good selector of employees. Loewy spent little time in South Bend, mostly for photo op's. or to convince management of something.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• yorgee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• yorgee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    I have had this dream many times...opening a barn door and finding a 53 Commander hardtop resting in the dark. However, it has never happened to me.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    I have had this dream many times...opening a barn door and finding a 53 Commander hardtop resting in the dark. However, it has never happened to me.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    The caption for this shot: "Will THIS be the day I escape this tomb?"

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...rnfresh_04.JPG [/img]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    The caption for this shot: "Will THIS be the day I escape this tomb?"

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...rnfresh_04.JPG [/img]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

When I found my 53 Commander Starlight a few years ago, I wanted to document what it looked like IN the barn and OUT in the light of day after 30 years!
    Those "barn find" pictures are going to be hard to top [:0].

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied

When I found my 53 Commander Starlight a few years ago, I wanted to document what it looked like IN the barn and OUT in the light of day after 30 years!
    Those "barn find" pictures are going to be hard to top [:0].

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Why, yes it is! And specifically - it IS bat crap! The little flying rodents liked the open rafters above the Stude. What was even more amazing to me was that once it was washed off, the dung hadn't affected the car's finish or trim at all![^]

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...rnfresh_16.JPG [/img]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Why, yes it is! And specifically - it IS bat crap! The little flying rodents liked the open rafters above the Stude. What was even more amazing to me was that once it was washed off, the dung hadn't affected the car's finish or trim at all![^]

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...rnfresh_16.JPG [/img]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    Holy batcrap batman! Is that poop[xx(]?

When I found my 53 Commander Starlight a few years ago, I wanted to document what it looked like IN the barn and OUT in the light of day after 30 years! I was happy with the photos I took and then - somehow -

Leave a comment:

Working...
X