No announcement yet.

My 62V-Y4 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skinny, is that John Deere yellow on the valve covers? Whatever it is, it looks good!
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      Skinny, is that John Deere yellow on the valve covers? Whatever it is, it looks good!
      You know as well as I do that us IH guys only use red implement paint! Actually, without the camera glare it's about right on Studebaker yellow. I was looking at the yellow high heat options on the shelf and picked this one as the closest to original. After reading the name, I knew it was the right choice, it's Dupli-Color's "Daytona Yellow".

I followed the factory color layout pretty close, but left some of the aluminum items unpainted to break it up a little bit. I proudly showed the wife how it turned out and she asked why I painted the valve covers yellow. I told her that it came from the factory that way. As she walked away she mumbled something like......just because the factory did it that way, you didn't have to........
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Looks great! I hope to be having our '62s engine compartment looking that good soon! (Got all the paint, now I just need to finish preping and I'll spray it! Yahoo!)
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Good work. Keep a-goin Skinny!

Comment

Hey Skinny,
            Did you pull the rear quarters to reseal them? What are you going to use in the seams on reassembly. I think I" be doing the same on my new 61 Lark.
            What is the OE color on your 62? I'm going to look at a HT that color with my nephew tonight.

Gordon

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the interest, I get more done if I'm close to a progress report!

Gordon, the fenders are off because I'm replacing them and need to put a patch on the inner by the left tail light. I'll probably use a single stage non-hardening, paintable seam sealer on them.

I could use a little help on the factory color. I've seen other '62's this color and am curious what it is too. The closest '62 chip I've seen is Desert Tan, but a '62 with that color was advertised for sale and it wasn't even close to mine (it was a much plainer, basic tan). This is almost a "golder" version of Rose Mist. My Cruiser parts car is Metallic Silver Poly like the right rear door on the project car, so I know it's not that. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Here's mine in Desert Tan:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Laptop 1061.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1662461

Definitely looks lighter than yours.

I definitely do not like this color, even with the brown and tan Daytona interior. I'll keep the interior since it's nice save for the seat covers, but that tan has to go. Still trying to decide what it will be, I just know it won't be this

Looking at the color chips, I think yours is more likely Metallic Brown:

Comment

It's this one, P6217 Metallic Brown Poly. That's just a Rootbeer Dark Brown Metallic.

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

Update: Tooshay Bob, when I clicked post, I found the same info already there!
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 07-01-2010, 12:44 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's been fun watching your progress on your 62. Oh how I wish I had free time, but kids/family/job etc you know how that goes. Anyway I was wondering what you plan to do with this once it's done?
                    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Thanks Bob and Rich for the link. I had found that before, but I always thought the Metallic Brown looked way too dark to be my color. To me it looks closer to an off Rose Mist than brown. I found a few '62s like mine, but no real dark brown ones, so this probably is what they consider the Metallic Brown Poly. Here's a closer pic of the firewall and a brochure pic of a '62 wagon that matches the trunk floor, door jams etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Daan View Post
                        It's been fun watching your progress on your 62. Oh how I wish I had free time, but kids/family/job etc you know how that goes. Anyway I was wondering what you plan to do with this once it's done?
                        Thanks Dan, it's been fun posting the progress too. I guess the plan for the '62 is to sell it at some point and start work on my Marshal project and my '59. I like the car, but the sentimental value of my '59 is way too strong. Even the Marshal will probably change hands after I get all the parts switched over and make a more viable project out of it (or as-is if someone is interested) similar to what I'm doing with the '62. I just can't afford 4 or 5 vintage cars (or store them), so I'm fixing up the "extras" to sell them and help finance the "keepers".

My overall goal is to have my '59 and my Torino done the way I've always wanted them. My daily driver Scout could stand a face lift also. So, the '62 is for sale at any point during the build with the price adjusted as the work continues. I'm not looking to get rich, just trying to make my goal a reality (and having some fun in the process).

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                          Thanks Bob and Rich for the link. I had found that before, but I always thought the Metallic Brown looked way too dark to be my color. To me it looks closer to an off Rose Mist than brown. I found a few '62s like mine, but no real dark brown ones, so this probably is what they consider the Metallic Brown Poly.
                          I made my guess from looking at your firewall. On my monitor the chip and your firewall look almost exact to me. Another color I'm not particularly in love with, but it's the one she was born with.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                            Thanks Dan, it's been fun posting the progress too. I guess the plan for the '62 is to sell it at some point
                            Weeeeelll.... maybe once all the BS going on in my life settles down, I'd be in a position to finally get a Stude, and yours is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Plus the fact that it's not located 3000 miles away, makes it all the more attractive.
                            Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Originally posted by Daan View Post
                              Weeeeelll.... maybe once all the BS going on in my life settles down, I'd be in a position to finally get a Stude, and yours is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Plus the fact that it's not located 3000 miles away, makes it all the more attractive.
                              I'm willing to work something out anytime Dan. If you've got something in mind, or want to come over and check it out, just let me know. In the meantime, I'll keep working on it in my spare time. Remember, it's not a big dollar restoration, just a basic low cost refresh to get the car back on the road.

Comment

With the generator finished up, I was able to put on the belt and hoses and run it for a while. I let it run for about 20-30 minutes to fully warm up. The only coolant leak was the heater valve, but that's looking better now that it's been warmed up and operated, we'll see how that goes. After it was up to full temp and idling in gear, the lowest oil pressure reading was still above twenty, so I'm pretty happy.

Next chores are the brakes and to pull the dual exhaust off my '59 to quiet this one up a little. All that's in place now are a pair of 2" down pipes that exit just behind the trans cross member like a set of headers.

Here's a quick video of it running. It even drove back in the garage under it's own power after decades of "resting". Can't wait for a real test drive!

Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 08-17-2010, 02:34 PM. Reason: better video link

Comment

Working...
                                X