No announcement yet.

York: 2011 : a survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I thought Chip; Thurday is only a half-day at best, right?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

First, let me thank the members of the Keystone Chapter and their Hurculean effort in putting this (yet, another awesome)York swap meet together.Job well done!! I was not initially crazy about having a Thurs-Sat meet, but it worked out well for me.Arrived early Friday to enjoy two full days of fun and fellowship in the church of Our Lady of Studebaker!Scoped out some goodies on Friday and returned Saturday morning to scoop 'em up!Met some old buddies and made a few new friends.
      The switching of the outdoor vendors and the car corral was a good idea IMHO.Bams 50 made a good point about Studebaker parking.I thought the car corral had an ample selection of vehicles this year.I have attended some years when there were only a handful of cars.Anyhow, I also thought that it would be a good idea to make a 'Studebaker only' parking area next to (or in the vicinity of) the car corral.We're all here to enjoy our beloved Studes, so why not have them all together, if possible?
      No matter;this show rated 5 stars in my book.SEE YA NEXT YEAR!!

Comment

One man's opinion: I have been vending at the York Swap Meet since the first year in York, 1983. I've seen it all. The one common element- I've enjoyed every one- the cold ones, the hot ones, the windy ones, the money making ones, the wallet busters. I always returned and will continue to do so.

I liked this year's schedule. For years I had to stay through Sundays and be at work on Mondays. I worked around it. Being able to leave on Saturday PM (as this year), I can pack up and be home before 10:00 PM. I do have commitments on Sundays, so this schedule works fine for me.

I would support a later drawing on Saturdays, however, I know some vendors wish to be on the road before 5:00 PM on Saturday. They want to be home on Sundays, also. Several vendors began taking down by 1:30PM and it wasn't long before it was a mass exodus. Perhaps we (the vendors) were a little too hasty as I'm sure there were latecomers who wanted time to shop. I would support a 5:00 PM closing.

I appreciated the work Frank McCarthy and his staff did in getting us into the building so early on Thursday. We were set up before noon and was ready for business. Did average for a set up day at the till. Friday was the best day for this vendor.

I had a great weekend!!! [^]

Frank Drumheller
        Louisa, VA
        60S-W6
        1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

I had a great time.
          I like the present set up and since my driving time is over 12 hours plus pit stops, I like the Thur. through Sat. time span.

I don't have ANY complaints and I think the Keystone Chapter did an overall GREAT job.
          Way to go guys.

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I thought there were more people and more car corral cars this year than last. Because the schedule is new there was confusion for many about the exact time things started and were open Thursday for some reason. Some of our 6 hour traveling members were there Thursday by 6am to get the early bird deals when they opened. They were early, alright! I arrived a little after two and if I didn't have to sort out my axle, I would have enjoyed more early time parts searching on Thursday. I do not like taking two days off of work and will not next year, but I have zero complaints. I overheard sad parts searchers later on Saturday as many vendors packed up early and hit the road. I had three full days of parts swapping and left by four on Saturday with a smile, a load of needed parts and a sore back. It must have been fun.

Comment

Thanks for the comments and please eep them coming. As with all "new" things after a change it takes time to adjust to a good program suited to all. Keystone has always attempted to have vendor spaces marked and available as soon as possible. We are not allowed access to the building(s) until 070 on the first day of rental. We have a crew of experienced people there at 0700 and we complete the task ASAP. This year was no exception with the building open to vendors by 0915 at the latest and open to the general public by Noon.

One change that will be made is the time of the drawing which will be moved to later on Saturday. Traditional in the past when the drawing was done on Sunday most vendors and the public was gone. This year we had one of the largest crowds preent at the drawing that we have ever had. Hopefully by moving the drawing to later vendors will stay longer and so will the general public.

From my personal perspective, the crowds were larger and overall all of the vendors I spoke to personally were happy with the crowds, their sales and the restructuring of the event.

We will be holding a critique of the event within Keystone within the next few weeks so please keep sharing you comments and opinions. We will also be considering reopenig of the second building and a plan to ensure we fill it with vendors. Another consideration is slightly enlarging the current spaces. So if you have suggestions please get then to us.

Again, on behalf of Keystone, we THANK YOU all for your participation and your attendance and we look forward to another successful year next year which will be our 45th annual event. WOW!!!!!! What a run!!!
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I had a very good time and really didn't have an issue with the Th-Sat schedule. I guess what would be ideal for me (for selfish reasons) would be, vendor set-up Thurs. afternoon, open to public Friday a.m., and all out by Sat. 5 p.m. Car drawing at 4 p.m. Saturday. Last few Sundays I've been at York, didn't look like much was going on but on the other hand I do like being there for the big drawing. I like being home Sunday...nice buffer between York fun and work drudgery and stress!

The only down thing for me with a Friday and Saturday only schedule, is I wouldn't be able to fit in a dinner at Coombs' Tavern on Pennsylvania Avenue, the Truck Farmer's Dinner, and the auction at the Viking Club! Even as it was this year, Barnlark and I missed the auction. But I guess that's my personal problem to overcome!

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
                '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill it's called priorities when it comes to dinner and the auction. Money raised at the auction covers our hospitality nights at THE VICTORY which have become ledgendary and will continue next year. It is a small way we can say Thanks to all who attend the Swap Meet.

Comment

Maybe next year the Truck Farmer's can bump the start time for their dinner deal by an hour (earlier) and there would be no conflict.
                    I wished I could do both, but my vendor buddy roomies were tuckered out and needed their beauty sleep...
                    But... If I had told them (Jerry)that there would be a fashion show complete with dollar bill tucking......
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Bill it's called priorities when it comes to dinner and the auction. Money raised at the auction covers our hospitality nights at THE VICTORY which have become ledgendary and will continue next year. It is a small way we can say Thanks to all who attend the Swap Meet.

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                    Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, next year maybe we can include a fashion show followed by a ladies only program.[}][}]

Comment

Gotta be a Southerner. No Northen boy would wear Long Red Handles all the way into March[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I haven't made York the past few years. I shall be retiring this summer and do intend to make it next year, since work will NOT be a problem with the new schedule. Missing York is like missing your yearly medical checkup!

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Oh, Jeff--I like the red longjohns!!!!

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Maybe next year the Truck Farmer's can bump the start time for their dinner deal by an hour (earlier) and there would be no conflict.
                              I wished I could do both, but my vendor buddy roomies were tuckered out and needed their beauty sleep...
                              But... If I had told them (Jerry)that there would be a fashion show complete with dollar bill tucking......
                              Jeff[8D]
                              You dirty dog you. That was supposed to be for ladies only to see.[}]

Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

That's just not right. Captain Morgan pose notwithstanding.

Comment

Working...
                                X