York: 2011 : a survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York: 2011 : a survey

Just thought the Keystone Group might want some feedback on the new schedule and what people think and will plan on for the next York..

I prefer the former schedule of Fri-Sun. It was obvious to me that the traffic was significantly lower than in previous years. With the excellent weather on Saturday, I would have expected more people. I sold quite a few things as a small vendor, and I had another great time as always. I don't think the extra building was neccesary this year. Opinions are helpful.

Thurs to Sat seemed fine if next year Sat goes to 5pm to accomodate the larger Sat turout.

Comment

As we all know, this was the first year for the new scheduke and was a learning experience for Keystone just as it was for all. We will be hold a critique of the changes and one we will be discussing is the time frame for Saturday. I announced on several ocassions before we drew the raffle car winner that we would stay as long as everyone wanted to stay. Staying to 1700 (5:00PM) is not a problem.

We will be returning to 2 buildings next year and have plans to fill that one to the brim just as the "A" building was this year. How did all like the repositioning of the outside vendors?

What do you want to see us do differently? Please just let us know.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Personally I liked this years time frame.....I wish it was somewhat warmer but I know thats not up to the Keystone Chapter
        At least the weather was sunny and the 7 hour drive to and from for me was the best you could hope for .Next year though I'd like to win the car

[IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        1966 Daytona
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bob. hopefully you bought your tickets. I'm going to get the car next week and bring it home with me for a few weeks. it is as nice in person as it is in the picture.

If you didn't ge tickets at York they will be available via Keystone's website in a week or so.

Remember only 4,000 tickets will be sold and we expect like this year all will be gone by York next year.

Buy early and buy often!!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

If you didn't ge tickets at York they will be available via Keystone's website in a week or so.

Remember only 4,000 tickets will be sold and we expect like this year all will be gone by York next year.

Buy early and buy often!!!
            Don - I'm sure you'll let us know when they're available! []

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island Chapter
            http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I had a great time at York this year. Still I like the previous schedule much better. It seemed like a lot of vendors were gone by 2 or so in the afternoon on Saturday. For folks who work Saturday is often the only day they can make the event, but if it is not going to be a full day it makes the trip is of questionable value. I thought the number of attendees was down. I can't say the reason for that, it just seemed to be down to me.

I'm not a vendor, but I liked the previous locations for vendors and the car corral. It seemed like the car corral was a bit small. On Saturday if a few more cars had come that area would not have been big enough.

Like I mentioned in another thread, if the schedule for 2011 is the same as this year I think I will drive up on Thursday, arriving in late afternoon, hit the Fairgrounds first thing Friday and spend the day. Then on Saturday stop by briefly and hit the road for home. There does not seem to be a reason to hang around on Saturday if Friday is the only day all the vendors will be there.

I do appreciate the efforts behind the York Swap Meet. I know the amount of work involved is incredible. I thank the Keystone Chapter for putting on this wonderful event.

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Joe, one of the problems we faced this year was a breakdown of communications between Keystone and the Fairgrounds. We will extend the hours on Saturday next year and draw for the car at 5:00. Hopefully this will keep the vendors around a little longer. I do agree that we did not think that through but even making announcements on Saturday didn't help alot but we will try again.

Comment

Joe, one of the problems we faced this year was a breakdown of communications between Keystone and the Fairgrounds. We will extend the hours on Saturday next year and draw for the car at 5:00. Hopefully this will keep the vendors around a little longer. I do agree that we did not think that through but even making announcements on Saturday didn't help alot but we will try again.
                  New ways of doing things always need tweeking. Keep up the good work.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

I like the idea of holding the drawing late on Sat.

I'm not sure I'm nuts about having the swap meet open on Thurs. The earlier in the week it opens, the more likely that only the vendors will get the good deals. I'd rather some "civilians" get a bargain every now and then. When it started on Fri. I didn't mind taking a day off work to show up Thurs. evening, but there wasn't any way I could justify taking *two* days off of work... and if I had, I'd then probably have probably left on Friday.

I hate to suggest it, but maybe consider paring it down to only Friday and Saturday, since Sunday seemed to be so unpopular?

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

...I'm curious to see what the larger vendors think after they requested the change of dates last year...

Comment

I have attended York numerous times, (did not this year) like some mentioned above I still work and will be working for many years and I cannot take two days off. I think the Friday - Saturday with the drawing at 3to 5 time frame would be Ideal, In the past we got going early Friday am and drove to York about 6 hrs tried to get there by 1 spent Friday, Sat till about 3 or 4 and came home, arriving B4 11:00, was good all around time frame, Sunday left for family This is where my vote would go.

studeboro
                        sigpicstudeboro

Comment

With my work schedule, Saturday's the only day I get to go but, I only live a couple hours away.[8D]
                          I can live with whatever the majority thinks is best.

I can tell you, the Chairman of the Swap Meet, Frank, can use all the volunteers he can get once folks have packed up. Exterior barricades and tables need put away, floors need swept. This guy's already been working since 4:00 AM. God Bless Him!
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

We will extend the hours on Saturday next year and draw for the car at 5:00. Hopefully this will keep the vendors around a little longer.
                            Exactly what I was going to suggest. Maybe even draw at 4 and close at 5 or 6. This would encourage people to stick around longer, and if the winner was present he/she would be able to access their prize in a reasonable amount of time as well.

I think the move of the days was excellent. I wasn't able to make it Thursday, but it looked as though it took most of the day to set up anyway, correct? Next year I might try to take Thursday off from work- I had to use vaca for Friday anyway, what's one more day, right? &lt;G&gt; Maybe we can get some sort of early-bird activity started for Thursday night[8D] I think not having Sunday helped many of us on many levels- working folks and family people who want or need Sunday for family, and vendors and others who appreciate having Sat. night/Sunday for travel. I have said before that I had no idea this change was happening and was fine with the old schedule, but always had to miss out on Sunday; this way I didn't have to miss the last day, and appreciated that. I doubt any vendor or attendee left early because there would be no Sunday- in fact probably the opposite. Knowing Saturday is both the peak attendance day and the last is plenty of incentive to stay on till the very end- especially knowing they have all of Sunday to travel home. Ideal setup; only adjustment I could see is as mentioned above, later closing time.

Corral/outside vending- I think the change was a good idea. Parts are harder to draw buyers to than cars, so having them up front gives the vendors a better chance, and better traffic throughout the meet. Folks are much more willing to seek out the cars than the parts areas. Also, the previous corral area has been bigger than needed every time I went. You had vendors around the side of the building, with big, open, empty spaces in front. This year that area was fairly well filled up, which made the event look that much bigger. I do agree that while the corral area was big enough, a few more cars would have made it a little close; but then again, there were more than a few display-only cars (not for sale) that inexplicably were parked in there. Were that not allowed the space should be plenty. Maybe the area along the front or side could be reserved for display cars only. There are always many Studes scattered about the various parking areas; it would be great to have them all parked together. Maybe give some incentive to more folks to bring their Studes, like a People's Choice Award with a trophy and SI gift certificate. Can't have too many Studes onsite[^]

All in all, a great show as always. Next year we'll have SI with their huge area back, and hopefully BondoBill with his sizable display; and I think this schedule might well encourage others to either come for the first time or come back. Missed talking to Jim Heiple's family, as well as a few others. This setup, with the second building added back in, would be fantastic!

Thanks again to Don and the Keystone Chapter for this annual rite of Spring that so many of us look forward to all year. Already can't wait for the next one![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:[i]Originally posted by bams50
                              I wasn't able to make it Thursday, but it looked as though it took most of the day to set up anyway, correct?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
                              Actually the building was ready for the vendors by about 9AM and I would guess the majority of them were set up by noon.

Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 Dr Wagon
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X