No announcement yet.

1950 Pickup: on steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born in the late forties and a teen in the sixties, I am partial to restomods (or even restorations) that present as the vehicle did when it was a 3 to 20 year old well cared for vehicle. The kind I and my buds lusted for back then.
    Don’t at all admire the clapped out, discarded by the town drunk, and drug from the back row of the junkyard look. Don’t care for today’s clear-coated over restored ‘show cars’ either.

No self respecting youth or hot rodder of the old days wanted to appear to be driving a neglected run down pile of junk.
    Many of my old buds spent their days shining up old oxidized paint, or if it was too far gone, lathered time and care in either respraying or even brush painting their pride and joys.
    My ‘62 Lark wears its third paint job, a light blue enamel that was home sprayed in the early ‘70s. I wouldn’t want it any better or worse.
    But my ‘64 Daytona HT still wears its factory applied Strato-Blue, now extremely weathered and faded, is now in line for a original ‘60s quality repaint.
    My rough but complete and all original 1948 M-5’s paint has virtually all weathered away, will get brush applied tractor enamel, if I get to it.

Comment

So much controversy! I was looking at this as someone who really likes his truck, and wanted to show it. I guess some people just want to put down other's vehicles to make themselves feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
        So much controversy! I was looking at this as someone who really likes his truck, and wanted to show it. I guess some people just want to put down other's vehicles to make themselves feel better.
        I really don't think that's the problem. Everyone has the right to customize their own vehicles to fulfill their own vision. But nearly all of us like subtle "tasteful" customs, which always receive almost universal approval. But the wilder you make it, the more likely it is that more and more people won't like it (and those that DO like it will like it a LOT). That's still okay -- as long as you don't flaunt your design's idiosyncrasies. Once you start showing off (like doing donuts in a parking lot), you open yourself to comments from the audience. One shouldn't be surprised at the reaction.

Reminds me of a woman working at a Starbucks a few years ago. She was tatooed and pierced from head to toe (well, the parts I could see, anyway). The guy in front of me in line must've been staring, as she asked him what he was looking at. Why was she surprised -- did she not do all that to attract attention?
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	6E357377-3B16-4938-8567-40EA73DCC144.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.2 KB ID:	1899187
          Attached Files

Comment

Im just seeing a guy who is enthusiastic about his vehicle, and wants to show it to people.

Comment

I also think it looks to low / broken rear springs & the "patina" look I'm also bored with even thou this one was pretty right without any added "faded" texts.
              That said I just got inspired by the -50 Windsor we once had & painted Josephine the same "patina" way...
              (but not as if she would've been draged out from a scrapyard, more like as if she's been driven the whole time since new & re-painted in the early 70's)

sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
                Im just seeing a guy who is enthusiastic about his vehicle, and wants to show it to people.
                Agree. My comment was not really aimed at the truck's owner, but rather to dispute your previous statement that: "some people just want to put down other's vehicles to make themselves feel better." One can offer critical comments about someone else's vehicle without having ulterior motives -- sometimes you just don't like it. Perhaps I could have stated it more clearly, but I will stand by my point that if you create a radical custom, AND publicize it through a video and various smoking demonstrations, you should expect some feedback, both positive and negative.

I suspect most of the members of this board think the 53-54 Studes are among the most beautiful cars ever built. But obviously, some people didn't like them -- otherwise they would have sold better.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

(opinion)
                  Cool. You are proud to say you invented it.
                  But loathe to let anyone else that does it.
                  Too funny some people are...
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                  X