No announcement yet.

How your Stude hurts you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a scar on my thumb from installing the transmission in a ‘63 Lark when I was 14. I was tightening the bolts that hold the sheetmetal cover on the bottom of the bellhousing and the wrench slipped. The edge of that cover sliced my thumb open.

That car and I never did learn to like one another.

__

Comment

Originally posted by gsx_martin View Post

Hmm, I thought I do it the correct way, as mentioned in the Shop Manual

Click image for larger version Name:	Jack Manual.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	1874655Click image for larger version Name:	20180714_103613.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	1874656Click image for larger version Name:	20180714_103625.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	1874657

But the red rolling jack slipped away, ouch .

New Bushings and Springs installed (after the pain in my arm had been gone )
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20180719_103203.jpg Views:	163 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	1874658
      Martin,

Yes, I'm sure you did it IAW instructions in the manual. What the manual neglects to mention is to, "be sure to loop a chain around the upper A-Arm and around the jack body to prevent jack from slipping. I made up a special chain with hooks on either end that will loop around the upper A-Arm and hook onto the cross shaft of the wheels under the lift plate on the jack. Neat little setup made after the fact. The fact being the same thing happened to me once in my youth, when I thought I was indestructible. Very painful, especially for the brother, whose arm was broken and on whom the car fell, but we both survived to learn a valuable lesson.

Incidentally, my mother did whack me with a Peach tree switch, often, when I was a kid. Left a defining impression on me.

Bo
      Last edited by Bo Markham; 01-13-2021, 04:28 PM.
      Bo

Comment

Could this be the real reason I usually take my Studebakers to a qualified mechanic?
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Like most other Hawk owners I have bonked my head on the sharp corners of the front of the hood (more than once). This seems to be a rite of passage for Hawk owners. Just opening the hood brings back that memory.
          --Dwight
          Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 01-14-2021, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Hood to the head too many times to count! Finally made a removable extension for the prop rod to hold the hood up as high as possible. Now I miss the corners and only hit the latch once in a while. Now if I could only figure out something for the trunk! -Jim

Comment

Bunch of small scars on my forearms and back of hands from slipped wrenches. No big deal. Worst was trying to reinstall the transmission in my truck and it (trans) fell off of the jack and on my hand.
              Most common? Spending more than an hour in the Champ, that uneven floor and lack of left foot support torques my back out of shape.
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

I got bit in the back of the head a few times. I grabbed a pool fun noodle and softened the sting🙂

Comment

1964 Lark would not start due to dead battery in winter with lots of ice around. I was 20. In the days before built in battery handles, I carried the booster battery with two hands up by my chest. Hit an ice patch, and the battery went flying up and down on my ankle. Besides the three pins that are now permanently embedded in my ankle bones, I have a six inch zipper like scar where they patched it up.

And, like everyone else probably, I’ve also broken several tools on rusty bolts (major hand ouches), hit my head on hood and trunk latches, and had rust and dirt in my eyes. But it was worth it!!

Comment

People who own Bugatti Veyrons Never have fun like this

Comment

I think most of my wounds are more psychological than physical.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hi Martin,
                        I have never done it that way before.

It is easier to pull the brake drum off and split the A arm from the king pin with the jack under the brake drum end end of the A arm.

Then you can pull everything apart and going back together you can stay well out of the way of the spring and jack before you get the nut back on.

You'll do better next time.

Greg

Originally posted by gsx_martin View Post
                        Hmm, I thought I do it the correct way, as mentioned in the Shop Manual

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1874655[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n1874656[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n1874657[/ATTACH]

But the red rolling jack slipped away, ouch .

New Bushings and Springs installed (after the pain in my arm had been gone )
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1874658[/ATTACH]
                        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Ref; post # 25

Seems most of my Studebaker wounds are financial. ; > )

Comment

What ROCKNE10 said in Post #2....

Comment

Working...
                            X