This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold from under me...

This Friday on OfferUp I went to see a 1954 Commander in the City of Industry. A verbal agreement was made to pick up and pay for the car Saturday.
    As i get there I see the car loaded on a flatbed. The seller didn't have the courtesy to call me and say I got offered more money or anything!
    Licence plate QNM 093
    vin# 8853854
    This younger guy (30s) has NO WORD as a MAN!
    Felt like kicking his ass!

This happened to me many years ago , Some people are just scum and do not value a handshake ! Ed

Comment

I kind of feel your pain Richard, but it is always a better idea to give SOME kind of Down Payment.
      What kind of " '54 Commander" was this?
      Coupe, Hardtop, Sedan or Wagon?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I hope you didn't travel far to find that out.

Craig

Comment

I have acquired many cars and parts with a simple hand shake...Took a good night sleep and logic to understand I don't need another project..

Comment

That's terrible. He could have at least let you know to not waste your time. When I bought my Hawk, I told him I could not pick it up until Saturday. It was Tuesday and to let him know if I change my mind. I bought a set of wheels with tires Friday night since all the tires were bad, rented a trailer Saturday morning and went to get it some 80 miles away. Jimmy, the guy I bought the car from told me he has two or three higher offers to sell it to them, but he told them not, he made his deal with me already. I thanked him for that and told his father he raised his son up right. Nice to know people can still keep their word.

Comment

I had two guys come over and buy three cars from me for a package price. We shook hands on it.

When it came time to pick up the first one, the one guy said he was not going to buy the other two cars. The only one they would buy was the one his buddy wanted. When I mentioned that was not honoring his word, he said something like "sh*t happens" and that was the end of it.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Unfortunately, common courtesy like common sense is not so common. Just an observation. That being said, most folks are courteous and trustworthy.
                Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Been there too & extremly angry for quite a while...
                  Last edited by Noxnabaker; 10-26-2020, 12:33 AM.
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                    This happened to me many years ago , Some people are just scum and do not value a handshake ! Ed
                    This is the state of our country today;-(..............the youth of today are a sad joke...........snowflakes who believe everything is coming to them............with out having to work;-(

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                      That's terrible. He could have at least let you know to not waste your time. When I bought my Hawk, I told him I could not pick it up until Saturday. It was Tuesday and to let him know if I change my mind. I bought a set of wheels with tires Friday night since all the tires were bad, rented a trailer Saturday morning and went to get it some 80 miles away. Jimmy, the guy I bought the car from told me he has two or three higher offers to sell it to them, but he told them not, he made his deal with me already. I thanked him for that and told his father he raised his son up right. Nice to know people can still keep their word.
                      Restores to a small degree my feelings of today's youth.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        I had two guys come over and buy three cars from me for a package price. We shook hands on it.

When it came time to pick up the first one, the one guy said he was not going to buy the other two cars. The only one they would buy was the one his buddy wanted. When I mentioned that was not honoring his word, he said something like "sh*t happens" and that was the end of it.
                        Sheetheads like that you do not need;-(

Comment

I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for this but look at it from his side.
                          How does seller know that you (a total stranger) will return? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                          As a seller I would have told you "first person with the cash gets the car, but if you leave a non-refundable deposit I'll hold for an agreed upon time".
                          You should have got something in writing and left a deposit.

Comment

A hand shake or verbal agreement seems to be only good with folks of our generations. Sorry that happened to you. Might have been ment to be.
                            Mike
                            Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

A long time friend down towards College Station did that to me once, after a decade of waiting, having his word that I was first in line to buy it when he was finally ready to sell. The first indication that he sold the car was when the new owner (another supposed friend) showed up with it. They both knew I really wanted the car. Took me about 30 seconds to figure out that I didn't need friends like that and it was only a car. Hadn't thought any thing about it since, or them for the matter. Found other good friends and cars to boot.......

Bo
                              Bo

Comment

Working...
                              X