Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are in this game long enough you are bound to have something like the happen to you. My epiphany presented itself almost thirty five years ago and it was not a 54 Studebaker. It was a four Season Roadster that I had discovered for sale, and purchased with a hand shack. A friend and noted collector found out about it from a mutual friend, called me to chat about it, traveled twelve hundred miles and bought the car out from under me. He said nothing for a year and, then never spoke to me about it, or offered an apology. He got a car, but lost a friend. He tried for years afterward to smooth things over. You can probably guess how that went over. He is gone now, but the story is part of his epitaph. There is more to the story but better to leave it there.

Comment

'Tis always the same ol' story...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ghjihjh.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1862946
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
        'Tis always the same ol' story...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ghjihjh.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1862946
        Seen on the Sistine Motorway, Well Played!!

Bob

Comment

Scum knows no age group..... A few years back a long time president and big wheel in the club overheard me taking interest in another club member's car. Made a verbal agreement to buy the car on the coming Wednesday for an agreed amount. Called Wednesday morning to make exchange arrangements, with cash from the bank, to find out this former club president had bought the car on Tuesday.....!

Comment

Interesting.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

The only thing that buys us the car is the handover of two things: the Bill of Sale and a properly completed Certificate of Title. (I have had a few Titles not filled in properly and it adds to the headaches for sure....)

All the verbal promises and even a partial deposit are just parts of the courting dance. It's brutal when sellers do this - it's happened to me too.

Now, if you have sent a deposit (cash, paypal, cashier's check, whatever), you do have some legal standing. Challenge is how to do this when out of state.

eBay and licensed dealers have YET to let me down however. Much more confident transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                Scum knows no age group..... A few years back a long time president and big wheel in the club overheard me taking interest in another club member's car. Made a verbal agreement to buy the car on the coming Wednesday for an agreed amount. Called Wednesday morning to make exchange arrangements, with cash from the bank, to find out this former club president had bought the car on Tuesday.....!
                That is why I've always kept my mouth closed about a prospective purchase until the DEAL IS DONE AND PAID IN FULL!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

That is why I've always kept my mouth closed about a prospective purchase until the DEAL IS DONE AND PAID IN FULL!

Craig
                  It's a lesson that some of us trusting people have to learn the hard way. It's a bitter pill when a friend pulls the carpet out from under us.

Comment

I cannot say it has ever happened to me in this way. Closest was a '63 Daytona hardtop that was for sale in the local paper some 35 years ago, I called about and promptly went over to the seller's home to look at. Turned out, just as I got there, another interested person was already there, looking it over, and stated he would immediately purchase it. I suppose I could have added some fuel to the fire and started a bidding war by offering more than he was asked, but it wasn't worth more at the time.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      I cannot say it has ever happened to me in this way. Closest was a '63 Daytona hardtop that was for sale in the local paper some 35 years ago, I called about and promptly went over to the seller's home to look at. Turned out, just as I got there, another interested person was already there, looking it over, and stated he would immediately purchase it. I suppose I could have added some fuel to the fire and started a bidding war by offering more than he was asked, but it wasn't worth more at the time.

Craig
                      Now as a seller, a bidding war has happened right in front of me.

Test driver #1 of my 2000 Civic went long, and Test driver #2 pulled up wanting the car enough to pay asking-plus. It ended peacefully on what was a clean $3000 car, but in the end I was up 10% over asking.

Again, until money changes hands and an agreement has been struck, the market forces will get free rein.

Comment

Back in 1978 or so I sold a '63 GT Hawk to a fellow ....the car appeared in a local "Penny Saver" type of publication.
                        He checked the car out while on my driveway money changed hands and the car was removed.
                        A week or two later the buyer contacted me yelling that I had deceived him and that the car was not as advertised.
                        He had the car hook towed back to my house and threatened that had I not reversed the sale he would have broken my knee caps or shot me.
                        The car came back to my home (somewhat damaged...paint) cash given back to the buyer...and my family clearly shaken.
                        The car was then listed in TW and in short order two young guys from Pa. came to look at the car........liked what they saw (after going over with a fine tooth comb) . The car was sold for $700.00 more than the first buyer paid. After that experience, I never sold a car to anyone I did not personally know.

Comment

Years ago I drove to Maryland to look at a 1947 M5 1/2 ton pickup. I was undecided and drove home. I thought about it and then decided to purchase the truck at the price the fellow was asking. I called him the next day and he said no deal, he was going to put the truck in the paper for more money. You snooze you lose. Then...after a week he calls me back and says he’ll now sell me the truck at our previous agreed price. He sort of pissed me off so I foolishly said “no deal” and hung up. I cut my nose off to spite my face!
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
                            How does seller know that you (a total stranger) will return?
                            Many years ago, I bought a '66 Commander for parts that was parked behind a service station. I asked about it, and the attendant said it belonged to one of the mechanics who was interested in selling it, and told me to call him during the day when he was working, which I did. That mechanic then told me to meet him there on Saturday at 1 PM. I was there before 1, and waited for about 1/2 hour. Thankfully, the attendant working that day had access to his home phone number, called, and informed him that I was there waiting for him. When he arrived, he was all full of apologies for not being there at 1, and he mentioned several times in the past, buyers were often a 'no show', and wasted his time, and thought I was not going to break the cycle.

So therefore, it can be a 50/50 chance a stranger will or will not show as per their word.

Craig

Comment

Years ago I made a deal with a guy to trade my 63 FOM transmission to him for a 55 parts car that he was taking some parts from. We agreed that I would meet at his house at 1:00 on Saturday - a two and one half hour drive from my house.

That Saturday was raining like crazy and my GF was the slow starting type. Half way there, I called to let him know that I would be a bit late. His wife told me that "the other gentleman" was already there. "What other gentleman?" I wondered, as there had never been a mention of any one else involved in the deal.

When I arrived and realized that the parts car owner was intent on playing the two of us against each other, I said no. Either keep the original deal, or let the other gentleman have it.

We kept the original deal, but there was a lot of discomfort in the room and afterwards.

Everyone has different ideas about what is right and what is ethical and many are uncaring about the emotional debris they leave behind.
                              Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-30-2020, 08:16 PM.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                                Years ago I drove to Maryland to look at a 1947 M5 1/2 ton pickup. I was undecided and drove home. I thought about it and then decided to purchase the truck at the price the fellow was asking. I called him the next day and he said no deal, he was going to put the truck in the paper for more money. You snooze you lose. Then...after a week he calls me back and says he’ll now sell me the truck at our previous agreed price. He sort of pissed me off so I foolishly said “no deal” and hung up. I cut my nose off to spite my face!
                                No, you had your pride intact!

Comment

Working...
                                X