Speedster no longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster no longer

Speedster # 7161911 is headed to crusher. I purchased this about 3 years ago for parts. It served that purpose well. I was able to salvage a good hood, trunk, right front fender, all the stainless trim and both doors. It came with a 58 259, top shift T86 O/D with 4.27 RA. Was originally DG auto. A PO did a good job of installing the T86 as all O/D stuff was there and looked stock. It must have had an interesting life. There is a window sticker from Biggs AFB Texas. It has 69 Minnesota license plates and I picked it up in Wisconsin. Strangely enough, it has rear traction bars installed. As you can see, I stripped anything that may be of value. I did leave the RA as I have no use for 4.27 gears and the brake drums were cracked.

I had thought about restoring it, but IMO, it is too far gone. The tin worms have destroyed the lower half of the body as well as several places on the frame.

RIP.
    Attached Files
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Perhaps the wheels are still salvageable.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The rear wheel shown could be a disc brake wheel? I'd remove the ID plate, just for the hell of it. Is the car registered on the Speedster register?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
        The rear wheel shown could be a disc brake wheel?

Bill
        Good eyes Bill, sure looks like a disc brake wheel!
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
          I'd remove the ID plate, just for the hell of it. Is the car registered on the Speedster register?

Bill
          I agree with Bill. One less Studebaker Speedster......next to my GH they were my favorite.

Comment

Yes, it is a disk brake wheel.. I am keeping the wheels. They are just to move it for now.

I do not know if it is on the registry. If so, it should be removed
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The wheels that came with it are Speedster wheels. They are Hialeah green with red stripe and in very good condition. Of course the tires were shot, 2 of them blew out while trying to air them up, hence the wheels that are on it for moving purposes.

It is amazing to me which parts were destroyed by rust and which were not. I would have thought the wheels would be all rotted out.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I would remove the SN and body tags for history.

That said, that shell does not look all that much different in condition from my '53 was. It is repairable to the right person....

Jeff in ND

Comment

We do have someone here on the Forum looking for I believe, that Halo Moulding you removed if you did not use it on your 2 Speedsters.

FYI, Cars do not get removed from Registries when scrapped, just noted "Parted Out" or "Scrapped".
                  So you still need to add it, if it is not.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 06-12-2020, 12:23 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                    I would remove the SN and body tags for history.

That said, that shell does not look all that much different in condition from my '53 was. It is repairable to the right person....
                    If the body was the extent of it, I would have considered it. However, it would need to be reframed. I am surprised that it has not folded upon itself.

The body is actually worse than it looks in the pictures. In most cases, there is nothing between the rear door panels and the window. The best thing to do would be to rebody it. Given enough time and money any thing could be fixed.

If someone wanted to spend thousands of dollars on sheet metal from classic enterprises and put in hundreds of hours, they may have a car after replacing the frame.

But it is not me. If someone wants it, they can have it for hauling it away.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I was thinking of the roof panel for the good Sky Hawk with a crushed roof that was mentioned here a couple of days ago (by Bob P., I believe).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That part is in surprisingly good condition. When I got it, it had a vinyl roof installed. I was expecting Swiss cheese. It will be sitting in my yard for a couple of days til I arrange for a trailer. I could cut the roof off if someone needs it.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Would you sell the interior stainless trim around the front and rear windows ? Joe at joebetsy6@gmail.com

Joe Parsons

Comment

Joe I sent you an email with information on someone that recently purchased multiple Speedster parts cars.’
                            Last edited by Cowtown Commander; 06-13-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

The rear spacer that runs just below the trunk lip to the bumper is still on it. From what I can see it looks to be in good condition. They are hard to find, and the fiberglass repro is close but no cigar. There are only 4-5 screws holding it in place. Hopefully you will remove it, pretty sure some will appreciate it down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X