Found 6-8 Avanti's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for taking the time and effort.

The complete 1961 four speed set-up is probably the thing most worth saving. Possibly the Sky Hawk depending on overall condition (other than the roof).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for all the information. Another dry well, so to speak. First of all, the information to bring you out there was inaccurate but you never know until you go. Secondly, the widow has no clue about the value of the cars. A 1969 Plymouth convertible that is a unibody car sitting in the elements in no where near $4,500. It will probably break in half if anyone attempts to move it.

I wish Anthony well, but it sounds like there is no profit to be made after all the effort for the yard work. His time to clean up the yard to get the parts is worth so much per hour. If the cars are rusted so badly you cannot open the doors, transportation and yard expense added up probably will not cover costs. Figuring on minimum wage for the yard work plus time and gas to load up one car, them repairing parts so they may be salable looks to me a poor roll of the dice.

Kudos to you and Anthony for least looking. It reminds me of the story of a little boy digging through a huge pile of manure. The dad asking what he was doing and the little boy said with all the manure, there has to be a pony underneath somewhere.

Bob Miles

Comment

A few years ago I was told of a farm nearby me that had a yard full of Studebakers! I was excited to go have a look so I drove to the farm.... only to find a yard full of Nash and AMC automobiles.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

God bless those people who are both young enough, and who are willing to save anything Studebaker. For the last fifteen years it has be apparent that saving anything Studebaker related is a labor of love and that any financial gain is a crap shoot at best. The ancillary labor and stress involved is best left to those who still have the juices flowing. Thanks again!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
            God bless those people who are both young enough, and who are willing to save anything Studebaker. For the last fifteen years it has be apparent that saving anything Studebaker related is a labor of love and that any financial gain is a crap shoot at best. The ancillary labor and stress involved is best left to those who still have the juices flowing. Thanks again!

Bill
            Bill, yes it is that way and if we the club wants this to keep moving forward then we need younger member to take over and carry the flag, Anthony is one of those and is really getting into it and my part for him is to let him use my 2 story 5 car garage (2600 sq. ft.) for just that purpose. the upstairs is for parts and lower bays is one a work area with benches and the other 4 has one with a "M" series truck he is working on and right now I have my 90 4 door in one and my daughters trail blazer with the 4 empty waiting for my 60 hawk. Also Anthony has my truck (2008 Dodge hemi) and trailer to use when needed. Has been going around and picking up peoples parts that don't want to scrap them and he has no money to be out buying up inventory so it need to be free for him to deal with it, that's way these hawks might be a good way of getting more nice inventory with just his labor so we need to wait and see what the owner wants.

Yesterday he took the truck and went to Santa Cruz area to retrieve some free parts and is planning a trip south to Stude Bob's for a full truck load it will be the 3rd from Bob. Like I said before there is a write up on him in TW a couple months back.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
              Bob,

Thanks for all the information. Another dry well, so to speak. First of all, the information to bring you out there was inaccurate but you never know until you go. Secondly, the widow has no clue about the value of the cars. A 1969 Plymouth convertible that is a unibody car sitting in the elements in no where near $4,500. It will probably break in half if anyone attempts to move it.

I wish Anthony well, but it sounds like there is no profit to be made after all the effort for the yard work. His time to clean up the yard to get the parts is worth so much per hour. If the cars are rusted so badly you cannot open the doors, transportation and yard expense added up probably will not cover costs. Figuring on minimum wage for the yard work plus time and gas to load up one car, them repairing parts so they may be salable looks to me a poor roll of the dice.

Kudos to you and Anthony for least looking. It reminds me of the story of a little boy digging through a huge pile of manure. The dad asking what he was doing and the little boy said with all the manure, there has to be a pony underneath somewhere.

Bob Miles
              Bob , the Plymouth is not one of the cars sitting out in the yard it was in storage until it came over to the house so there should not be any real problem putting it back on the road, being a 69 it is exempt from smog standards here in California, my guess it will leave the country when i post it to others.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Working...
              X