Found 6-8 Avanti's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found 6-8 Avanti's

The day has come for me and Anthony to inspect 6-8 Avanti's that I have known about for 3 years but have never been able to see or inspect them.
    Story has it the owner passed away 3-4 years ago and with out a will so nothing could be done until after probate so I guess things are ready to go, a friend that knows the widow and new owner has asked me through my friend if I would and could help dispose of the cars.
    I have never seen them so don't know anything about them or how much work it will take to get them out of the yard as they have been sitting for many years how many I will find out when I talk to her.
    We plan on being there a few hours taking pictures and getting all information on each car so I can then move ahead with selling them, my guess is they will be very reasonable because if for some reason she thinks she has a gold mine then I will walk away and not be part of this. As most of you know that I have dealt with things like this in the past.
    Because there is so much work just getting info and what ever it takes to get them out for all I know I might have to hire a tree cutter to clear the area but will know more today All this in mind will be part of my conversation with her and pricing the cars.
    For me to be part of this she is going to have to let me handle everything at what ever I fell is the best for every one her, me , and new buyers and since I no longer have my storage yard or big shop they will need to stay on her property until each one sells.
    The prices will take into consideration how far a person will need to ship a car and I have some connections there.
    Anyone really interested in owning an Avanti now is your chance but don't expect something that will not need a lot of work. Everything about each car should be known to day and more will follow here on the forum................Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Sounds like a project! Keep us updated, and Good Luck with them.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
      if for some reason she thinks she has a gold mine then I will walk away and not be part of this. As most of you know that I have dealt with things like this in the past.................Bob
      Better you than me. You've done it before, so you've experienced it's not just what the widow thinks, but after the deal is made, there will be the children, the friends and hangers-on who wouldn't buy the cars or help her sell them, but will be in there kibitzing; telling her, "He cheated you. I saw one like that sell on Barrett-Jackson for $100,000." BTDTNA.

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 06-06-2020, 10:54 AM.
      PackardV8

Comment

Bob,
        It is good to see that you are still the "go to guy" for everything Studebaker in Northern California .

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good luck Bob, I look forward to your photos.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for letting us know. You may end up having to walk away, but if the widow is a reasonable person, it may happen.

As things sound now, it is a guess on my part that the cars are isolated and probably have not run in several years and have been sitting outside. Never having owned an Avanti, I am a little curious as to what would be needed to ($$$$) to get the cars even in running condition. Having not seen them yet, you cannot accurately guess what that would be.

After you do see them let us know what you think. Also any Avanti folks could chime in about what they think. I am probably better off with what I have now, but if the cards line up, I would jump on the opportunity.

Bob Miles

Comment

Bob,
              I am waiting with baited breath for your description and subsequent pics to see what is really there. I presume, because you are involved, that they must be located in the northern part of your state. It would also be dependent on when this individual started collecting as to whether they are Studebakers or Avanti II's.
              Best of luck with your findings.
              Cheers, Bill

Comment

Pardon my lack of internet savvy; meaning of BTDTNA?
                Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                  Bob,

Thanks for letting us know. You may end up having to walk away, but if the widow is a reasonable person, it may happen.

As things sound now, it is a guess on my part that the cars are isolated and probably have not run in several years and have been sitting outside. Never having owned an Avanti, I am a little curious as to what would be needed to ($$$$) to get the cars even in running condition. Having not seen them yet, you cannot accurately guess what that would be.

After you do see them let us know what you think. Also any Avanti folks could chime in about what they think. I am probably better off with what I have now, but if the cards line up, I would jump on the opportunity.

Bob Miles

Sage assessment Bob...

I owned a '63 Avanti R-1 for just over twenty years from 1971 to early 1992 and although it was a solid running car, it had some frame rust issues. This car eventually found it self "down under" where the new owner did a bang up job of a great restoration!

I would caution anyone as to, "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti," as later repair costs most likely will make real world situations evident...

Comment

Originally posted by Al from Eatonville View Post
                    Pardon my lack of internet savvy; meaning of BTDTNA?
                    Been There, Done That; Never Again!

Comment

Thank you. I learn something new every day.
                      Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

If there is a 2001-2007 Avanti, I would probably be interested. Other than that, it would cost more to repair, especially adding in shipping, than an Avanti that has been sitting outside for years, would be worth. They may be good for someone not too far away to part out. They are worth more that way.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Cannot wait for follow-up.
                          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Bob, let me know if I can help in any way. Justin

Comment

Like I said yesterday was the day we have been waiting 3 years for, as it turned out is was not anything like we figured only one Avanti and that her son was going to ship to his place in Nevada. there was 6 cars but all were Hawks and all were sitting there for a long time also what we could see was lots of rust out trunk lids with doors and hood we could not get open.
                              here is what they are .
                              1 1961 hawk, v-8 4 bld. with auto. might be worth saving with big bucks
                              2-1961 hawk my guess a V-8 we could not get hood open 4 speed might be worth saving also with big bucks.
                              3-1956 sky hawk big dent in roof could not open anything might be worth saving since it is a sky hawk.
                              4and 5 - pair of 1956 power hawks also might be worth saving with big bucks.
                              6- 1957 hawk missing every thing except fins and rear fenders, rear end ect .

What I told the lady that they are hardly worth anything because of the amount of work needed just to get them out. They are only good to some one close that wanted them for the parts and there is were Anthony comes in, he might be willing to help here out by doing some yard cleaning needed to get at the cars then pull one out and bring it to my house and home shop to try and figure what he really has and what way to go with them, there would be a lot of work but the parts might work out for him since he really wants to be in the parts business. For people wondering who Anthony is he had a write up in TW a couple of months ago.

He took some pictures but don't know if we can post here on forum since things have changed here we will look into it just for the heck of it. There is one car she has that might get some interest and that is a 1969 Plymouth Fury convert. good body, needs top, interior is so-so 318 engine with auto complete car sitting a number of years she would like to get $4500 we have pictures of that also. There is is one big bust but nothing new in the old car business.....Bob
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X