The results of the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance: part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The results of the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance: part II

When the first rays of sunlight came through on that Sunday morn, I was ready and raring to go! It was the day where all of the formalities would be dispensed with and the Concours could actually begin! I wasted no time at all in whisking my car around to the other side of the golf course with the other 30 under 30s and getting the merriment underway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	all lined up.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.1 KB ID:	1820960Click image for larger version  Name:	Stude line.JPG Views:	0 Size:	158.1 KB ID:	1820961

Among all of the amazing foreign and domestic (non-Stude) cars there, the one that really caught my eye was a cream 1940 Packard 160 convertible. It was nothing short of lovely, taking me back to a time when the stories told in TINTIN comics felt more like reality. The elderly gentleman who owned her was even kind enough to let me sit inside. Guess he wasn't a curmudgeon!

Click image for larger version  Name:	dream car front.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	1820962Click image for larger version  Name:	dream car.JPG Views:	0 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	1820963Click image for larger version  Name:	dream car interior.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	1820964

When it was time for the judging to begin, I hurried along and made myself as presentable as possible, just hoping I wouldn't make a bumbling spectacle out of myself. I'm pleased to report that that didn't happen. I even got to meet Wayne Carini afterwards!

Click image for larger version  Name:	judges.JPG Views:	0 Size:	183.2 KB ID:	1820965Click image for larger version  Name:	wayne carini.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	1820966

Near the very end, I unfortunately had to leave early in order to catch a flight bound for Atlanta so I could be present at college on Monday. My great family friend, Norbert Kent Wilmering, filled in as my replacement so my car could still participate in the parade and collect her class award. The event organizers as well as my fellow 30 under 30ers were very cooperative so off we went!

Click image for larger version  Name:	sign.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.0 KB ID:	1820967Click image for larger version  Name:	driving on up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	1820968Click image for larger version  Name:	Award!.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	1820969

It was then that a series of remarkable events began unfolding. An ambassador from a group called "DriveTribe" (apparently owned by the original Top Gear trio) conducted a full interview of me and my car. It is expected to hit social media in a few days. After that, Mr. Anderson greeted me and said that there might be an internship in the A-C-D museum in store for me. I was elated! However, when one Mr. Harvey Geiger approached me, he said that he was an esteemed automotive writer. He was evidently so impressed with my character and automotive ethics that he offered to bequeath me his life's work - some 33,000 archived documents and photographs dating from the earliest days of the automobile to the present day. He expects me to continue his project (as he has apparently not found a worthy successor until me) and I am totally willing to do so. In addition, he also wanted to make me a full member of the CCCA (Classic Car Club of America) as well as give me a college scholarship (the amount is to be determined). Oh boy!

Of course, all of this would not have been possible with the original momentum that the WSJ article created. It seems long ago now, but I suppose that is only natural with the exponential progress I have made. But enough about me! Let this be a lesson that opportunities to promote Studebaker-dom, that which we love, can crop up in the most unexpected places. It is our duty to utilize them to the best of our abilities, otherwise, we may find ourselves left behind. Basically: keep at it! We are all counting on EACH OTHER here!
    Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 02-13-2020, 03:41 PM.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Congratulations on your great day and all of your honors. Glad you had a great time
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

All I can say is "WOW" Jake..........your effort and enthusiasm has opened some might big doors for you! Congratulations on all of this.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Glad you had a great day, your car looks beautiful!

Comment

Absolutely Congratulations! Boca is a great event, glad you did well.
          Mike
          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Jake, You with your enthusiasm are a great asset to Studebaker people and this forum. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Comment

Good work!

Congratulations, Jake! And how nice to see that you are now being entrusted to an automotive veteran's own personal collection of lifelong artefacts that he has accumulated over the years. I bet you will have some fun looking over, reading & cataloging all those 33,000 items. I just hope mom & dad are understanding, and let you keep it safe, and out of reach of younger siblings until you acquire your own place.

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 02-13-2020, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I'm impressed , Great work , Ed

Comment

Jake, you have indeed come a long way in a short time. It sounds like you not only had an opportunity to show off your car and have a good time, but meet some good and influential people and open some very important doors. Your fellow Studebaker supporters salute you and hope there is more to come. Congratulations, again, and don't let all of this distract you from your studies. You have a great future ahead of you and you can count on your friends with the Studebaker Club to cheer you on. I hope we have an opportunity to meet some day in the not too distant future. Drive on lad.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Great to see enthusiasm and such wholesome representation. It beats the "get off my lawn" bunch by a mile!
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Congratulations, Jake. What a wonderful chain of events - which l'm sure will continue. You are definitely "living the dream" in the world of historic vehicles!
                      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Jake,
                        Remember what I stated a little time ago "These events lead into untold territory of future connections and associations upon which a monetary figure can't be placed"?
                        You are the man, living our dream as well as your own, and now look where you are. The custodian of 33,000 carefully preserved historical documents and photographs the likes of which will probably never be duplicated in the future.
                        You are truly an amazing young man with a brilliant future ahead of you. I can tell by the pics you had a ton of fun and were the finest representative of the Studebaker marque for which we could have ever hoped.
                        This will surely give you something unique to discuss with your peers (and teachers) at college. Enjoy the heck out of it and once again "a Big Hearty Thanks!" for being such a fine representative.
                        Wishing you great grades and a Happy Future.
                        Bill & Sonja

Comment

Well done, you are injecting new life into this club, and its greatly appreciated by all.

Comment

Thank you for your initiative, enthusiasm and innovative promotion of the Studebaker brand. I look forward to seeing your “DriveTribe” interview.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Working...
                              X