GPS Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Speedometer

I am considering a GPS speedo for the 62GT. Don't need any lectures from purists, just looking for input from anyone who has experience with one, no matter what it was installed on. For example, reliability? I see Moto Meter has one that would fit the Gt's hole in the dash, looks easy enough to install, and receives signals from 3 satellites simultaneously, to insure accuracy and avoid signal loss. Sounds good, but in a review, someone complained it was inconsistent in coming on. Does anyone here have any first hand experience?
    Thanks In Advance

I have one from Speedhut in my 83 Avanti. Works well and there are a ton of options to let you chose the color/font/etc you want.

Down side is you need to have the satellite unit look at the sky. Not a problem in an Avanti (fiberglass) but just be aware.

Both 120/160 mph options as well as a couple of sizes.

https://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338...dometer-120mph

I should add that mine is one of the first units they made. I haven't had an issues with it working but it can take a mile or two to find the satellites. In fairness, mines old and probably like my golf GPS my new one is much faster to acquire than the old one about my Avanti's GPS age.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 01-15-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

For true, most Studebaker speedometers were inaccurate when new.

Most younger guys just use an ap on their phone, but I put one of my older Garmin GPS units on top of the dash of my E12. It not only gives speed, but altitude, direction and a map and distance to the destination and distance traveled. If one is concerned with authenticity, it's instantly removable.

So, for me, replacing the original speedo with a GPS speedo-only seems somewhat limiting.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

In my very humble opinion...buying one of these dedicated devices, wallowing around on the floor of your car, wedged between the seat, firewall, uneven floor...getting dirt, dead bugs, (and mouse turds) falling around your safety glasses and finding a way into your aging eyes...and even if it fits...results in an unnecessary out of place looking gadget.

Again...my opinion, but when I finally decided to give up my obsolete old flip phone for my first iPhone (obsolete and now replaced), one of the first "APPS" I added to my smart phone was a "SPEEDOMETER" app!

So...it don't matter if you are driving a Studebaker, riding a motorcycle, or pushing a wheelbarrow...you have the capability to monitor speed without purchasing any additional special instrument. In my Studebakers, I just chunk the phone in a plastic cup holder. If you need the GPS function, all you need is to download the WAZE GPS app. (There are others). So...if you have a decent mobile phone, you already possess the capability without having to buy a piece of crap with questionable quality, or technical support longevity, useful only in the one vehicle in which it is installed.

Don't buy a special device...put the money towards a decent phone. In true "CASO" spirit...I didn't even pay extra for the phone apps. The apps I use are free!

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have the thing on my phone too, but too much fumbling to use it while driving.

Hi Joe, I've had two GPS speedos along with the stock speedo in my '62 GT for a couple years. I calibrated the stock speedo, so it was correct at highway speed, but it is not consistant so is not correct at other speeds. The 3 3/8" GPS on I have in the dash, (where the tach should be) came from Ebay for $54, it works great and has an analog display. As was mentioned earlier, it sometimes takes a couple minutes to aquire satellites, but my garage is all metal. It also looses it's signal in tunnels sometimes. it's antenna is a separate unit that has a coax that runs to it, I have it on the rear window shelf. It has lighting built into it that is red, so should come close to the later GT lighting.

The second GPS speedo I have is a simple 1.5" x 3"x o.6" box with a huge green digital display, it simply plugs into the cigar lighter (comes with a suction cup mount; I just set it on the trans tunnel) it works great with no issues and agrees with the other GPS speedo, It was $18 on ebay.

I'm currently swapping my stock mechanical speedo for a digital speedo from Intellitronix, (it'll match all my other digital gauges) it has an electric pulse generator that replaces the cable at the transmission. You can also get a GPS reciever for it to use in place of the signal generator.

Both GPS speedos agree with my Garmin, and my phone; my stock mechanical speedo does too but only at highway speed.
          Last edited by bensherb; 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

On my V8 914, I changed the tire sizes so the speedo was off. No other speedo gears are made for that car and I didn't want a non stock looking speedo in the dash.

I did as John does with an iPhone ap, but only until I crossed actual speed on the GPS with indicated speed on the in dash speedo for a few key MPH that even I can remember . Plenty close enough for me.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

In planning on getting a long derelict Studebaker back on the road in the next few years - I have done a little looking around with the same type of question.

I found a couple units that actually allow you to use what is already there and the units simply drive the original speedometer. This example used the original cable to drive the original dash unit. Also wonder about peoples personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                In planning on getting a long derelict Studebaker back on the road in the next few years - I have done a little looking around with the same type of question.

I found a couple units that actually allow you to use what is already there and the units simply drive the original speedometer. This example used the original cable to drive the original dash unit. Also wonder about peoples personal experience.

What a great idea! The company you link to is out of stock and actually trying to sell that part of their biz, but there are or will be others.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

What a great idea! The company you link to is out of stock and actually trying to sell that part of their biz, but there are or will be others.
                  That one came up in a quick search. The other I saw actually had small unit which screwed into the back of the speedometer - only thing with it is that you had a wired antenna you had to put up on the dash to get a signal - not a major hassle but you still had to remember.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I already have a GPS, but it stays on the motorcycle 99 percent of the time. I put a speedo app on my android a few years ago, and use it occasionally to check speedo accuracy, but have to hand hold it.

Today, I followed sweetolbob's link to SpeedHut's web site, and custom ordered a GR338 speedo. Gonna sleep on it tonight first, then probably pull the trigger in the morning. They allow free customization to make it look 1960s vintage, close enough for me. For $259 + shipping, it only hurts a little while.

If I like this speedo on the 62GT, will buy another later for the 63GT. The 62GT comes first, since its' speedo and odo are both waaay off, thanks to the 3.31 rear end I installed about a year ago. I now have a 3.54 TT to install, but the speedo and odo were off with it too, just not as much. Truth is, I am liking the 3.31 more every time I drive the car, just wish it was a TT. With the GPS speedo, I can swap rear ends everyday, and it will always remain accurate.

Thanks Again Y'all

Comment

If you go with the 3.54 axle and happen to have a 700r4 or 4L60 trans, a 17tooth drive gear and 41 tooth driven gear are as close as you can get to correct with the stock speedo if you have 205-75-15 or 215 -70-15 tires (roughly 26.6" diameter + or -).

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                        If you go with the 3.54 axle and happen to have a 700r4 or 4L60 trans, a 17tooth drive gear and 41 tooth driven gear are as close as you can get to correct with the stock speedo if you have 205-75-15 or 215 -70-15 tires (roughly 26.6" diameter + or -).
                        I have a 700R4 in the wife's 63GT, with 3.54 in the rear. Its' speedo is close enough, only 2-3 MPH high at 70 MPH, and at 100 miles actual, the odometer says 103. But the 62GT speedo indicates 60 MPH at 75, and the odometer says 85 miles at 100 actual. About six months ago, I wrote about it here:Final Drive Ratio, Motor RPM, and Speed

Comment

I am waiting on SpeedHut to open, and plan to call them on the phone before ordering. Reading on line reviews further last night, I discovered I'll lose the hi-beam indicator. But it may be possible to have them include that feature in their speedo, so I have heard. Will find out when I talk to them.

Comment

• Rafe Hollister
                            Rafe Hollister commented
                            Editing a comment
                            High beam indicators always bother me. Driving at night, the last thing I want is an extra light in my eyes, and they are usually the brightest light on the dash. I put a piece of tape over them. I have never missed them, I usually know if Hi or Low are on anyway.
                            Rafe Hollister

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I am waiting on SpeedHut to open, and plan to call them on the phone before ordering. Reading on line reviews further last night, I discovered I'll lose the hi-beam indicator. But it may be possible to have them include that feature in their speedo, so I have heard. Will find out when I talk to them.
                          If you are determined to go this route, I don't think you should let the hi-beam indicator discourage you. Instead, take it as a challenge to overcome! Find out if there room to drill a small hole for the light? If the heat of the small incandescent light is an issue...replace it with an LED bulb, or relocate the bulb and use a small length of plastic photo-optic cable (available at hobby shops), relocate the bulb and use the photo-optic cable to transmit the light beam. Once you purchase the unit, it is yours to enjoy, tinker, and customize to your hearts desire...A way to explore your innovative talent and creative capabilities. Then, come here and share with us!
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

If you are determined to go this route, I don't think you should let the hi-beam indicator discourage you. Instead, take it as a challenge to overcome! Find out if there room to drill a small hole for the light? If the heat of the small incandescent light is an issue...replace it with an LED bulb, or relocate the bulb and use a small length of plastic photo-optic cable (available at hobby shops), relocate the bulb and use the photo-optic cable to transmit the light beam. Once you purchase the unit, it is yours to enjoy, tinker, and customize to your hearts desire...A way to explore your innovative talent and creative capabilities. Then, come here and share with us!
                            I just discovered they offer that feature, as a package along with turn signal indicators, for an extra $20. I used the foot note box of the order form to ask them to delete the turn signal indicators if possible. I just now placed the order, but it will be 3-4 weeks, due to the customizing. Will let y'all know how it works out.
                            Thanks again for everyone's input!

Comment

Working...
                            X