Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerning the Boca Raton Concours

I have some news for you all:

The experience of owning Daisy-Mae (my '62 GT Hawk) has taught me plenty, not just about cars or Studebaker, but also about me as a person. For this reason, I have made it a personal mission to be the best representative for the Studebaker community as I can be. The people that made up Studebaker as well as those who keep it dear to their hearts deserve it.

I am sure that you know that because Studebaker was an Independent make, it struggled to compete with the Big Three for a long time. Now that no Studebaker automobile has been produced since 1966, the problem has only been exacerbated. People (by and large) simply are not aware of Studebaker and its compelling history. However, I have seen that we in the SDC are a scrappy and resourceful bunch, just like the company we are so proud of. We will push through the 21st century if only due to our unyielding fanaticism.

However, I must ask a favor of you. I had mentioned in the article how I was going to attend the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance as a "30 under 30" member. Unfortunately, my family cannot afford the entirety of the cost of my attendance. That is why I am appealing to you for the sum of $500.00. If this is too dear, then whatever you can spare will be good enough and much appreciated.

May I do Studebaker-dom proud!

Sincerely and with much gratitude,
    -- Jake R. Kaywell

Click image for larger version

Name:	Concours D'elegance.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1815877

Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

So Jake, how do you expect to receive donations? I assume that you are hoping that members here will donate individually. If so, are you going to keep the
    membership appraised of the amount raised as the fund drive proceeds?

Comment

Set up a "Go Fund Me" account? That would make donating easy I suspect.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Jake,
        As Ed stated, let us know how we can assist in your endeavor(endeavour in Canada) and I'm sure most of us will contribute in some manner.
        Cheers and very best of luck.
        Bill

Comment

You live in Palm Beach, Boca is not far. There is no entry fee or least when I showed my car at Boca. What expenses specially do you need help with?
          Mike
          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

All of you do have very valid questions that require answers so I will stop dithering about and answer them. I have also sent PMs with the same information just in case you do not see it here.
            • My request for $500 is the TOTAL amount that I need. I am not asking for anyone to contribute $500 each. That would be nuts.
            • The reason why I need that much money is because there is a Gala (very fancy party) after the main show. This is the part where the big cheese of the automotive industry will mingle with the rest of us. People such as Jay Leno and Dieter Zetsche will be in attendance. I can talk to them and build relationships/connections that may prove useful to Studebaker-dom very soon.
            • The manner in which you can send any contributions you would like is through the mail. PM me with your interest and I will give you my address in return. If you are dissatisfied with this, then I will refund your donation back through the mail.
            • Yes, I will keep the forum appraised as to how this drive for funds is proceeding.
            If you have any concerns, please feel free to PM me. I do not want to be crass, rude, impolite, or in any way dishonorable about this.
            Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 01-07-2020, 04:36 PM.
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Jake,
              I just read the entry rules (
              https://www.bocaratonconcours.com/online-applications/ ) and see where your Studebaker could fit quite well.

Do you have a PayPal account?
              I'll kick $25 toward your goal.

Jeff
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jake - set up a PayPal account instead of a go fund me because PayPal charges a much smaller service fee. I’ll donate also. Please give us a running balance without donor names. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Put me down for $50. You can pm me your address.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

No need to attend the fancy parties, sorry, that’s for the rich folks. Other wise it costs zero to attend and win. They even feed you and provide drink. Sorry.
                    Mike
                    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

I agree with Silver. There is something distasteful about your asking for money so you can hobnob with the rich and famous.

Comment

Originally posted by abkco View Post
                        I agree with Silver. There is something distasteful about your asking for money so you can hobnob with the rich and famous.
                        Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                        No need to attend the fancy parties, sorry, that’s for the rich folks. Other wise it costs zero to attend and win. They even feed you and provide drink. Sorry.
                        I know that this whole thing may come across as begging, but it wasn't my idea. My mother thought that my attending the gala would be a genuinely beneficial experience for both me and Studebaker-dom. I didn't want to disappoint her, so at her imploring, I put it to the forum.

I have now been completely transparent to you both. Surely that cannot be distasteful.

Comment

I have met Jay Leno a couple of times and he is a very nice guy. However I assure you that he is not going to do anything for the Studebaker community.
                          David L

Comment

This is a wonderful opportunity for a young man in college (and therefore not flush with cash). He is enthusiastic about our favorite car. Let's keep his enthusiasm up. If you don't feel like donating, don't. I'm happy to contribute to his experience and will share a little of his fun.
                            Last edited by ddub; 01-08-2020, 12:59 PM.
                            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                            50 Champion 2 door*
                            53 Commander K Auto*
                            53 Commander K overdrive*
                            55 President Speedster
                            62 GT 4Speed*
                            63 Avanti R1*
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post

I know that this whole thing may come across as begging, but it wasn't my idea. My mother thought that my attending the gala would be a genuinely beneficial experience for both me and Studebaker-dom. I didn't want to disappoint her, so at her imploring, I put it to the forum.

I have now been completely transparent to you both. Surely that cannot be distasteful.
                              Your mother should dig into the savings and make it happen for you.
                              Mike
                              Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Working...
                              X