Studebaker Avanti bodies..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti bodies..........

Question for Bob Palma: Is it odd that South Bend body s/n's begin with 5001, and Ashtabula bodies begin with 101?
    Additionally, is there any correlation between the body number, and the serial number of the actual car? Avanti 63R-3039 carries body number 63RQ-2076, I can not understand the correlation between the two?? I need a bit of Palma elucidation :-)

John Hull is the one who did all the Avanti production & body number research:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....urning-Wheels=

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....y-Tag-Mystery=

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ighlight=gegax

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
      Question for Bob Palma: Is it odd that South Bend body s/n's begin with 5001, and Ashtabula bodies begin with 101?
      Additionally, is there any correlation between the body number, and the serial number of the actual car? Avanti 63R-3039 carries body number 63RQ-2076, I can not understand the correlation between the two?? I need a bit of Palma elucidation :-)
      Not Bob Palma and I do not know why these questions were aimed at him particularly.

I believe that 5001 was chosen as a start just to be away from the Ohio numbers.

As with all postwar Studebakers, the body numbers are usually close, but not a match to the Serial Numbers. 3039 is the 2039th Avanti and 2076 is the 1976th body, so they are fairly close.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My '63 Avanti R-2 has S/N: 63R-2658, Body # RQ-1741, & engine #RQ-1742. Definitely it's an Ashtabula car with the notation: "Service for retail delivery / tag courtesy pool car" I'd post the original build sheet if I knew how, but that's what the original documents say.
        "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
        R.W. Emerson

Comment

Your Engine Number cannot be an RQ.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich,
            Totally busted. I needed my +2 glasses. the engine # is RS-1742. I'm now duly chastised for not getting out the better glasses or magnifying glass when looking at the specs for this car.
            "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
            R.W. Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
              My '63 Avanti R-2 has S/N: 63R-2658, Body # RQ-1741, & engine #RQ-1742. Definitely it's an Ashtabula car with the notation: "Service for retail delivery / tag courtesy pool car" I'd post the original build sheet if I knew how, but that's what the original documents say.
              I wouldn't call it "an Ashtabula car". The body was assembled in Ohio, but the final assembly, making it into an Avanti car, was done in South Bend.
              I would say that its original use was as a Studebaker loaner car.
              Rich already noted the engine number (should be RS as you corrected).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Not Bob Palma and I do not know why these questions were aimed at him particularly.

I believe that 5001 was chosen as a start just to be away from the Ohio numbers.

As with all postwar Studebakers, the body numbers are usually close, but not a match to the Serial Numbers. 3039 is the 2039th Avanti and 2076 is the 1976th body, so they are fairly close.
                Because he is knowledgeable, and candidly I fail to understand why that perturbs you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Because he is knowledgeable, and candidly I fail to understand why that perturbs you?
                  It doesn't perturb me. I just do not understand why a question like this is asked of one individual, Bob or otherwise, when others may know the answer to what is being asked about.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                  X