X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Because he is knowledgeable, and candidly I fail to understand why that perturbs you?
    It doesn't perturb me. I just do not understand why a question like this is asked of one individual, Bob or otherwise, when others may know the answer to what is being asked about.

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post

Not Bob Palma and I do not know why these questions were aimed at him particularly.

I believe that 5001 was chosen as a start just to be away from the Ohio numbers.

As with all postwar Studebakers, the body numbers are usually close, but not a match to the Serial Numbers. 3039 is the 2039th Avanti and 2076 is the 1976th body, so they are fairly close.
    Because he is knowledgeable, and candidly I fail to understand why that perturbs you?

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by dleroux View Post
    My '63 Avanti R-2 has S/N: 63R-2658, Body # RQ-1741, & engine #RQ-1742. Definitely it's an Ashtabula car with the notation: "Service for retail delivery / tag courtesy pool car" I'd post the original build sheet if I knew how, but that's what the original documents say.
    I wouldn't call it "an Ashtabula car". The body was assembled in Ohio, but the final assembly, making it into an Avanti car, was done in South Bend.
    I would say that its original use was as a Studebaker loaner car.
    Rich already noted the engine number (should be RS as you corrected).

Leave a comment:

• dleroux
    replied
    Rich,
    Totally busted. I needed my +2 glasses. the engine # is RS-1742. I'm now duly chastised for not getting out the better glasses or magnifying glass when looking at the specs for this car.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Your Engine Number cannot be an RQ.

Leave a comment:

• dleroux
    replied
    My '63 Avanti R-2 has S/N: 63R-2658, Body # RQ-1741, & engine #RQ-1742. Definitely it's an Ashtabula car with the notation: "Service for retail delivery / tag courtesy pool car" I'd post the original build sheet if I knew how, but that's what the original documents say.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    Question for Bob Palma: Is it odd that South Bend body s/n's begin with 5001, and Ashtabula bodies begin with 101?
    Additionally, is there any correlation between the body number, and the serial number of the actual car? Avanti 63R-3039 carries body number 63RQ-2076, I can not understand the correlation between the two?? I need a bit of Palma elucidation :-)
    Not Bob Palma and I do not know why these questions were aimed at him particularly.

I believe that 5001 was chosen as a start just to be away from the Ohio numbers.

As with all postwar Studebakers, the body numbers are usually close, but not a match to the Serial Numbers. 3039 is the 2039th Avanti and 2076 is the 1976th body, so they are fairly close.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    John Hull is the one who did all the Avanti production & body number research:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....urning-Wheels=

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....y-Tag-Mystery=

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ighlight=gegax

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    started a topic Studebaker Avanti bodies..........

Studebaker Avanti bodies..........

Question for Bob Palma: Is it odd that South Bend body s/n's begin with 5001, and Ashtabula bodies begin with 101?
    Additionally, is there any correlation between the body number, and the serial number of the actual car? Avanti 63R-3039 carries body number 63RQ-2076, I can not understand the correlation between the two?? I need a bit of Palma elucidation :-)
Working...
X