66 Daytona Which engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Daytona Which engine?

Hi all. I have an opportunity to buy a 66 Daytona.It has been sitting for a while, and is partially disassembled, with no engine or trans. Just thought that I would throw this out there. Do you think that it would be crazy to put a 289 Stude engine in it? I have most of what I need to build a good 289, or I have a freind with a 327 Chevy, that would need everything. There are not a lot of 66 Daytonas out there, and I would not want to ruin its value, but it might be cool to build one like it would have come from South Bend, had they still been in production in 66. The rest of the car would be original, and the drivetrain could be returned to stock at some later date if I changed my mind. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Sounds great to me. How cool would it be to have a 1966 Studebaker that's ALL Studebaker. Good luck with your endeavor and please send pictures of fiished project.

Comment

You have my vote for going all Studebaker. Do a little research and perhaps a "hopped up' version would make the car REALLY unique featuring an updated performance intake from Deep'n'Hock, a beefed up transmission etc. Those motors look so right in red with the finned valve covers, finned intake valley cover etc.
      There are some pics posted on the performance motor used for the Engine Challenge which are hard to beat. Anyone can stuff a Chevy small block in to make it look like all the other motor swaps out there.
      Good luck
      Bill

Comment

Wow. I would go the other way. I would pick up a 383 crate engine from JEGS, Summit, or Speedway. Outwardly it will be identical to the 283 that was in there (you can see the difference in the 400 block). I'd put the Studebaker valve covers on it and go have a little fun.

Comment

You didn't say if it was a two door or not. If it is a two door I go with a 327 and aod or 5/6 spd. With some period correct performance parts and just a little bit of chrome. Just a good street driver with a little punch to it.

If it is a four door a 305 tpi with a aod. Again a good weather driver.

Comment

Going all-Studebaker would make a fun build. Why not? Go nuts and have a party!
            Mike Davis
            Regional Manager, North Carolina
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

It's a two door. I was leaning towards the 289, and it looks like quite a few agree that it would be ok. The 289 would be hopped up a bit, ( race cam I found in Tacoma, flat top pistons, aluminum cam gear, and balanced. Then a four speed trans. Going to look at it tonight. Wish me luck.

Comment

Another vote for a Studebaker V-8. That’s what I would do.

Comment

Thanks again for the input. Never got to go check it out. The guy runs a service truck, and wasn't available. Forum will be down for a few days. Hope to have an update by the time it is back.

Comment

Sounds like a Great idea to me, I think that Chev. Engine Trans. Crossmember could stay, to help reinforce the frame.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                      You didn't say if it was a two door or not. If it is a two door I go with a 327 and aod or 5/6 spd. With some period correct performance parts and just a little bit of chrome. Just a good street driver with a little punch to it.

If it is a four door a 305 tpi with a aod. Again a good weather driver.
                      1966 Daytonas were only 2 DR. No 1966 four door Daytona models. Top of the line 4 Drs were Cruisers.
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I was able to go and see the car today. Turns out it is a two door Commander, that started life with a six cyl. The condition is rough, but salvageable, and he has another 65 four door for parts. It would need a full interior, and some rust repair on the floor pans. Not sure if I want that much of a project, but will make up my mind after thinking it over.

Comment

Go with the GM 327. That is closest to the way it came from the factory. I have a surplus borg warner super T10 4 speed if you decide to go that route.
                          Bob
                          Bob
                          Welland Ontario
                          60 Lark Convertible
                          64 Daytona
                          sigpic
                          "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Haven't committed to the purchase yet. He has seven Studebakers for sale plus some parts. Also a Packard 352, complete. The 327 and four speed would make a great driver. One of the other cars that he has is a 47 stude business coupe. Also fairly rough, but a good candidate for a hot rod.

Comment

Try to get the car's identification info & send to me for the 1966 registry. Where is the car located?
                              thanks,
                              Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                              X