1962 Pace Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Pace Car

Could someone please explain how the VINs are assigned? I am researching the various Indy Pace Cars and have started to look at 1962. I have the Freewheeling article with a list of the VINs, so here is my question:
    The first two digits are the year, so 62.
    The next digit is the engine size:
    S- 6-170
    V- 8-259
    P- 8-289
    The next five are sequential assigned numbers. Are these assigned staring with 00001 for each engine size, or as they came down the line regardless of engine? Could there be two with the same 5 digits, with a different engine size?
    The reason I ask is I found a Pace Car VIN of 62V 28419 and a Daytona with 62S 28419.

Another 62 Pace Car question. Is there a list of how many total Studebakers were assigned to the track besides the Lark? Here is a wagon
    Attached Files

More on those Pace Cars here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-s-Get-Serious

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 09-11-2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

In the Serial Number, that you refer to as a VIN, the first two digits are the year, such as 62, however the next digit is an S for six or a V for V8 no matter what size V8. The V and P indicating engine size is used for the engine number designation on the engine block. The sequential numbers are for either six or V8 (no separation as to size of V8). For South Bend built 1962s, the S/N for V8 cars started with 62V1001. The two examples that you give are possible. There are no two with the same S/N (the difference in the ones that you give is the S or V part of the S/N).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thomas, you are mixing up Engine Serial numbers with CAR Serial Numbers.

Studebakers have THREE I.D.'s, in '62 the Serial Number of the Car was used for Registration purposes before VIN numbers were created.

1. The CAR Serial Number from the Door Post, (also stamped into the Frame rear crossmember).

2. The Engine Serial Number on V8's starting with V for 259 or P (originally for "President") 289

3. The Body Number including, Model Year & Body Model Code on the Tag on the right side of the Firewall, engine side.

None of these match or can be connected, except with a (available) copy of the Original Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum.

There were several Red '62 Champ 1/2 Ton Pickups on the Track as well, I doubt there is a list of any or all of the Studes.

The White '63 Avanti that was "Ceremonially" given to the Indy 500 Winner Roger Ward, was also on the Track.
        It was a Prototype and he was given a different Car.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-11-2019, 06:07 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The White '63 Avanti that was "Ceremonially" given to the Indy 500 Winner Roger Ward, was also on the Track.
          It was a Prototype and he was given a different Car.
          I believe Rodger Ward's Avanti just went up for auction in Auburn: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....highlight=ward

Craig

Comment

Is there copies of the Festival Cars shipping or production orders, or should they just be ordered from the museum? Also, I know there are copies of where the cars were shipped, but is there copies of any dealer who originally sold them, and to whom?

Comment

Originally posted by tbenvie View Post
              Is there copies of the Festival Cars shipping or production orders, or should they just be ordered from the museum? Also, I know there are copies of where the cars were shipped, but is there copies of any dealer who originally sold them, and to whom?
              I believe Bob Palma has done some pretty exhaustive research and compiling of information on the 1962 Indy race and Studebaker 's involvement. There was an article some years back in Turning Wheels where I believe they listed all the pace and parade cars. Good luck.

Comment

If you don’t have a copy of the January 1993 issue of Turning Wheels, buy it, and George Krem’s article on the ‘62 pace cars will answer many of your questions. The article lists the serial numbers of all the pace and festival cars.
                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

I do have that copy, thanks. I was wondering if the individual car records a re available, or should I just order them from the museum. Is it thought all the cars used at the track were sold by one dealer, or were other dealer in the Indy area selling them as well. Do the museum records denote which dealer actually sold them. And the name of the original buyer? Thanks

Comment

The 1962 Pace and Festival Cars were processed and serviced before the race by Charlie Stuart Studebaker, one of three Studebaker dealers in Indianapolis at the time. After the race, the cars were dispersed to different dealers, doubtlessly not all in the Indianapolis area.

The Studebaker National Museum will have records of which cars, by Serial Number, were ultimately sold by which dealer, and to whom each was sold.

Yes, individual Production Orders are available for each of the cars listed in the January 1993 Turning Wheels article. They would have to be purchased individually, of course, since that information is a legitimate source of income for the museum. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My convertible 62 has a missing serial plate that I hope to find. I got the car from loan company and it is rough. My body number is 62v L8 1189.
                      Wondering if anyone knows how the body number could be traced. It is a 259 v8 automatic.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
                        My convertible 62 has a missing serial plate that I hope to find. I got the car from loan company and it is rough. My body number is 62v L8 1189.
                        Wondering if anyone knows how the body number could be traced. It is a 259 v8 automatic.

Jeff
                        Yes, Jeff; your car's serial number can be determined from the Body Number, but it requires some searching.

Body numbers were used in roughly, but not exactly, the same sequence as Serial Numbers.

It would be easiest if you knew the Serial Number of a Daytona convertible with a body number close to yours.

To that end, I will PM you the telephone number of local SDC Indy Chapter member, Jeff Westcott. Jeff owns a nice 1962 Daytona Convertible Festival Car clone and I happen to know that his car's body number is 1111; an oddity easy number to remember. Since your car has body number 1189, it would have most likely been built shortly after Jeff's car.

If you determine Jeff's car's Serial Number, you can pay Studebaker National Museum researchers to begin with his Serial Number in the 1962 V-8 Production Records and go forward until they find a convertible with your car's body number.

Then, they can look at that Production Record and determine your car's original Serial Number.

An alternative would be to try to find your car's hidden Serial Number on the frame's rearmost crossmember. If the car is rough and rusty, as you imply, that number is probably gone (rusted away), but here's an example of what they look like from my 1964 Daytona Wagonaire [V15196]. (The year prefix [64] does not appear.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4253.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1962910

Best wishes on the hunt. Look for Jeff's phone number in a PM. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Mark L
                          Mark L commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Jeff, as you can see in the photograph that Bob pasted into post 12, the secret serial number was usually stamped very lightly into the frame. If you can't immediately find it, do not be tempted to aggressively sand away the rust and crud on the cross-member. You may inadvertently remove what's left of the number.

Thank you so much for the info. I will put roller wheels on and try to get it up on the lift. I need to measure the stiffener rails and under carriage parts dimensioned to try to fabricate.
                        I am also looking for advice. I have a 62 sedan parts body and am thinking of using it as a donor. I have both of the inner convertible rear panels cleaned up (needing metal repair) and planning for the install on the sedan. I am using parts that I removed from a rustier 6cyl convertible that I saved (salvaged) back in the 90's.
                        The question (1) , is there any length or dimensional differences with the sedan vs convertible.
                        I am using the 1189 plated car for a model and patterns to see as I prepare to start the chop and replace work.
                        Question 2 , does anyone have any nos or unrusted inner sheet metal pieces (convertible only) to supplement my build.
                        I am hoping my 1189 is a festival car since it is a 259 v8 auto.
                        Q3 , is there a vendor that remakes the serial plates? I am worried mine is long gone.
                        This is a 3 car to make 1 project. 2 rusty convertibles (one only pieces) and a 2 door sedan. I am also in desperate need for hardtop or convertible doors.
                        Any help is appreciated.
                        Love the forum!

Comment

Working...
                        X