1962 Pace Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Pace Car

Could someone please explain how the VINs are assigned? I am researching the various Indy Pace Cars and have started to look at 1962. I have the Freewheeling article with a list of the VINs, so here is my question:
    The first two digits are the year, so 62.
    The next digit is the engine size:
    S- 6-170
    V- 8-259
    P- 8-289
    The next five are sequential assigned numbers. Are these assigned staring with 00001 for each engine size, or as they came down the line regardless of engine? Could there be two with the same 5 digits, with a different engine size?
    The reason I ask is I found a Pace Car VIN of 62V 28419 and a Daytona with 62S 28419.

Another 62 Pace Car question. Is there a list of how many total Studebakers were assigned to the track besides the Lark? Here is a wagon
    Attached Files

More on those Pace Cars here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-s-Get-Serious

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Indy-pace-car-

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-Lark-Pace-Car

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

In the Serial Number, that you refer to as a VIN, the first two digits are the year, such as 62, however the next digit is an S for six or a V for V8 no matter what size V8. The V and P indicating engine size is used for the engine number designation on the engine block. The sequential numbers are for either six or V8 (no separation as to size of V8). For South Bend built 1962s, the S/N for V8 cars started with 62V1001. The two examples that you give are possible. There are no two with the same S/N (the difference in the ones that you give is the S or V part of the S/N).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thomas, you are mixing up Engine Serial numbers with CAR Serial Numbers.

Studebakers have THREE I.D.'s, in '62 the Serial Number of the Car was used for Registration purposes before VIN numbers were created.

1. The CAR Serial Number from the Door Post, (also stamped into the Frame rear crossmember).

2. The Engine Serial Number on V8's starting with V for 259 or P (originally for "President") 289

3. The Body Number including, Model Year & Body Model Code on the Tag on the right side of the Firewall, engine side.

None of these match or can be connected, except with a (available) copy of the Original Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum.

There were several Red '62 Champ 1/2 Ton Pickups on the Track as well, I doubt there is a list of any or all of the Studes.

The White '63 Avanti that was "Ceremonially" given to the Indy 500 Winner Roger Ward, was also on the Track.
        It was a Prototype and he was given a different Car.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-11-2019, 09:07 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The White '63 Avanti that was "Ceremonially" given to the Indy 500 Winner Roger Ward, was also on the Track.
          It was a Prototype and he was given a different Car.
          I believe Rodger Ward's Avanti just went up for auction in Auburn: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....highlight=ward

Craig

Comment

Is there copies of the Festival Cars shipping or production orders, or should they just be ordered from the museum? Also, I know there are copies of where the cars were shipped, but is there copies of any dealer who originally sold them, and to whom?

Comment

Originally posted by tbenvie View Post
              Is there copies of the Festival Cars shipping or production orders, or should they just be ordered from the museum? Also, I know there are copies of where the cars were shipped, but is there copies of any dealer who originally sold them, and to whom?
              I believe Bob Palma has done some pretty exhaustive research and compiling of information on the 1962 Indy race and Studebaker 's involvement. There was an article some years back in Turning Wheels where I believe they listed all the pace and parade cars. Good luck.

Comment

If you don’t have a copy of the January 1993 issue of Turning Wheels, buy it, and George Krem’s article on the ‘62 pace cars will answer many of your questions. The article lists the serial numbers of all the pace and festival cars.
                Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
                \'63 R2 Lark (the money-pit-mobile)
                \'60 Lark Convertible (project in waiting)

Comment

I do have that copy, thanks. I was wondering if the individual car records a re available, or should I just order them from the museum. Is it thought all the cars used at the track were sold by one dealer, or were other dealer in the Indy area selling them as well. Do the museum records denote which dealer actually sold them. And the name of the original buyer? Thanks

Comment

The 1962 Pace and Festival Cars were processed and serviced before the race by Charlie Stuart Studebaker, one of three Studebaker dealers in Indianapolis at the time. After the race, the cars were dispersed to different dealers, doubtlessly not all in the Indianapolis area.

The Studebaker National Museum will have records of which cars, by Serial Number, were ultimately sold by which dealer, and to whom each was sold.

Yes, individual Production Orders are available for each of the cars listed in the January 1993 Turning Wheels article. They would have to be purchased individually, of course, since that information is a legitimate source of income for the museum. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                    X