Capetown, So. Africa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capetown, So. Africa?

There I was, just ready to leave an appointment, when I hear this faint voice "Pardon me, but I took pictures of your car - I hope you don't mind?" Sitting in my daily driver '66 Cruiser, I looked over to see a lovely lady with exceptional manners. As soon as I recognized the question and let her know that it was fine, be my guest!, she came near and began speaking in a very cultured accent about her Father's Studebaker Daytonas, in Capetown, South Africa! Apparently, she learned to drive in a 3 on the tree Daytona, with good memories of it. Her Father and Brother restored 2 Daytonas to showroom condition. "They are rather rare there" I wonder if anyone here in Studebakerland is aware of the Daytonas from South Africa? That would be a neat end to this tale. I also ought to have let her know that Daytonas are rather rare here in Sonoma county, but I am just not that fast on my feet!. This is just one reason I love to drive my Studebaker as often as I can - personal connections with strangers. Had a dear Couple visit last night, and Steve asks, 'where's the Studebaker?' and my wife says - 'He's driving it - it isn't a museum piece we dust off now and then!' Cheers to all attending the International meet. And yes, I will be driving this Saturday!

We have a man in the club here in Sweden who has a Hawk from South Africa, I think he bought it while working there. (& about driving Studebakers: that's what they were built for! Sadly not many seems to think so anymore...)
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 09-12-2019, 02:40 AM.
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Comment

Lots of Stude's in South Africa. Most of them RHD.
      Nimesh "Nash" (and Deepesh) Solanki's family are from that area..
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There were Missionary's from various Christian Denominations from the U.S. over there, and some Not from here that ordered New Stude's to be delivered there.

I remember that Dad sold (2) 1955 Champion Conestoga Wagons with RHD that 2 Missionaries ordered in Calif. to be built and sent to South Africa.

They were always ordered with H.D. components like Frames, Radiator, Springs, Low Comp. Heads etc.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I posted a photo of a '58 Provincial that was sold new in South Africa here--------> https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....udebaker-Wagon

And I believe Studebaker had an assembly plant in South Africa at one point.

Craig

Comment

I wonder if the Studebaker's in South Africa were knock down kits??? In my Sunbeam Tiger world there was within the USA no knowledge of early Tigers that started with a B948XXXX serial number many years ago (B947XXX was the designation). When a man named Norm Miller was researching the difinitive book on Tigers these cars became known. Apparently 79 Tigers (about 1%) were sent to South Africa in kits. It was because these Tigers were assembled in South Africa that they averted certain import duties.

So, I'd be curious if Studebakers arrived in South Africa as knock dfown kits also?
            Last edited by wittsend; 09-11-2019, 05:40 PM.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
              So, I'd be curious if Studebakers arrived in South Africa as knock dfown kits also?
              According to Stu Chapman, some were: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ntario-factory

Unfortunately, Pffftu-ee-bucket screwed up the photos of the Assembly Plant in Post 8 here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....lant-post-card

Craig

Comment

The 2018 Membership Roster lists 29 South Africans members. I tried to contact one in Durban and missed him, but he sent me an apologizing email saying that he hadn't looked at his emails soon enough. There were also some South African movies that included Studebakers (just can't remember their names).
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                  The 2018 Membership Roster lists 29 South Africans members. I tried to contact one in Durban and missed him, but he sent me an apologizing email saying that he hadn't looked at his emails soon enough. There were also some South African movies that included Studebakers (just can't remember their names).
                  Mandela comes to mind.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Not Studebaker content, but quite a coincidence. Just today I learned about the DeSoto Rebel from the early 60s, which was from everything I could tell a 1962 Plymouth valiant with DeSoto badges. I had never heard of one. It turns out they were only built in South Africa.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

They used to build Dodge darts in Spain.....had a Spanish name...cabajello? They were offered with a little diesel too. They were up market compared to here with leather seats etc.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The DeSoto Rebel was Dodge Lancer, not Valiant or Plymouth.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Lancer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1729613
                        They also called the -62 Dodge DeSoto.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1729614
                        sigpic