Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawk rear leaf spring bushings - Where to buy? Interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen on the removal being tough.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

It wasn't as bad as I expected. I pushed out the inner tube, then pushed out the rubber, then drove a punch between the outer tube and frame to fold the tube in on it's self and slid it right out. The ones that were in better shape I just drove out with a couple washers, nuts, a piece of all thread and a large socket.

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
        Where can I get the rear shackle spring bushings for 1962 Studebaker Hawk? All leads appreciated. email: riokie@gmail.com or PM. Thank you, chet445
        Chet, Don't forget that you have a friend in the Studebaker parts biz just south of you in Houston.

Comment

Let me hear some removal methods for an Avanti ( body on)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Just so we don’t panic everyone - a lot of times the bushings in the frame are in far better shape than the bushings in the rear of the spring. Thus replacing the easy to access bushings in the spring only will be a big improvement.

Comment

For those who wanted to know how I removed the shackle bushing from the car.
              Getting the spring loose at the front did not present a problem; I just took off the nut and worked out the bolt. I'm pretty sure all the spring bushings are original. Anyway the shackle the back had no bushing and was held by a 7/16" #8 bolt (source of my extreme rattle in back of car) only the outer shell of bushing and it was rust frozen in place. I used a right angle 1/2" drill with step drill bit to get in as far as I could then an appropriate size drill bit to finish removing the rusted in shell of the bushing. I then applied some "slickem" to the new bushing and gently forced it into place. Time consuming it was but not difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                Let me hear some removal methods for an Avanti ( body on)
                The only way I know to get them out is to punch out the inner and use a chisel and hammer on the outer from the spare wheel side. Took most of the day. No room for air chisel.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Well now you have learned a new way to get the bushing out when it is frozen solid in the frame. Took a little over an hour for both sides with body still on the frame. Hopefully you won't need to do it again. I'm sure you can beat them out provided the outer case of bushing is not frozen to the frame by rust.

Comment

Working...
                  X