No announcement yet.

Hurricane Irma Prep - Are You Ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder when "reporters"will start running back and forth across a highway of speeding cars telling pedestrians to stay out of the road because it's dangerous. These people are disgusting and apparently stupid as a rock to be doing this while telling us that "NO ONE" should be out in it, and... it makes the other dummies (and looters) think "if that's all it is, we can go out too". Thank goodness for music stations, Velocity, MAV TV, PBS, RFDTV, and ......hmmmmm, guess that's about all of 'em. There are truly some strange and mentally challenged folks out there around us, and it seems like the news channel hiring staffs know where to find the most idiotic of them.

Comment

YEaay!!! SUNSHINE! Even if temporary...first rays since Sunday! In a few moments, I'll go out and do a walk-around. So far, my wife has observed that our humming bird feeders are on the ground. I have not told her (yet) that I took the glass ones off the tree limbs Sunday evening. If there are no trees or limbs across the fence, or shingles off the roof, we are fortunate. In fact, regardless, we are blessed anyway. Prayers to those who took the brunt of Irma's force.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Deep-N-Hock Acres Hurricane Wilma destruction tour group will be starting in 15 minutes at the RED ZONE at loading pavilion A.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Drove from Mobile to Bradenton yesterday. I filled up in Marianna, FL (west of Tallahassee), there was no gas until I got to Wesley Chapel just north of Tampa. I took US-19 on the way home and between the power outages and everything being closed, I thought I was dealing with the Zombie Apocalypse. At least when I got home everything was OK and power was already back up.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I heard on the radio coming into work this morning that Disney World was opening today so the Orlando area must not have been too badly nailed. I've a uncle and some cousins live in that area (St Cloud & Christmas, other cousin by Okeechobee someplace....). I'll have to ask my sister if she heard anything as I don't have any contact info but she has 1 cousin's email/phone.

Here today is expected to be high 80s, rather hot for this late in the season. It was 39 one morning last week and probably we get a frost sometime in the next 3 weeks.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Horses taking a mid day snooze, They are non plussed, except for losing 25% of their shade choices...

(This pic gives you a perspective of how big these old Pecan tree's really are)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Howdy everyone, we just got power back on at about 12:30, and wife managed to get the internet working too. We weathered the storm in very good shape, had 1 tree (staked as it is a newish planting) that got bent over but didn't break, and a lot of small debris all over the yard. No damage to the house, my shop or anything else. Just lost power for 37 hours, and Withlacoochee Electric Co-op did a terrific job getting us back on line. Thanks to everyone for your concerns and good thoughts, Bill.

Comment

Glad you made it intact Bill. I think your whole state (mostly in part to your Governor) did a fantastic job of minimizing the attrition.
                  Welcome back after a once in a lifetime experience.
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                    And we are still dealing with wildfire threats here in British Columbia. My US Army 10 WD Firetruck is full (3500 gallons) and right now I can't see across our valley due to thick smoke. Friends near by (40 minutes away) are evacuated and others are on alert(15 minutes notice to get out). Summer 2017 has been hell for many of us. We get occasional wind gusts of 30-50 MPH. I can't imagine what 185 is like.
                    Good Luck to all of you staying prepared and safe.
                    Bill
                    We haven't seen any fires in the metro Vancouver area, but we have had a lot of smoke. The air quality was said to be three times worse than Beijing at one point. My wife developed a bad cough and sore throat from the high particulate level in the air. Coupled with unseasonably high temperatures (32-34 Celsius) it wasn't pleasant. My brother-in-law got out of Kamloops because the smoke was so bad and spent three days in Jasper where the air was clear. We took the motorhome up to Manning Park over the Labour Day weekend. Beautiful, clear weather, but we could see smoke in the direction of Princeton 72 kilometres away.
                    Currently, there are still over 140 forest fires burning in the province. The largest one has been burning for almost two months and has consumed more than one million hectares on its own. This has been the worst summer for forest fires in the provinces history.
                    Mother Nature doesn't like us this year!! Hope everyone who has felt the wrath of Irma is safe.

Comment

Survived the outskirts. Only lost power for 2 days, lost a few trees.

Comment

I made a post in Stove Huggers on this video , but it's a pretty good one .
                        After the first quick scene at a Beach approach etc in DB, , it goes at about 40 seconds ,to very near my house , and goes south into Daytona Beach .
                        Most of it is in Holly Hilly ,a separate but quite surrounded city in the area .
                        My house is back one block from the River ( ICW ), but I do have 13-15' of elevation .

on Youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qcER0mF2p4

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...-daytona-beach
                        Last edited by shifter4; 09-13-2017, 11:34 AM.
                        Bill H
                        Daytona Beach
                        SDC member since 1970
                        Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Thanks for posting Bill. It is a real reality check for those of us who live in the mountains. Glad you made it unscathed.
                          Cheers, Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X