No announcement yet.

Hurricane Irma Prep - Are You Ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers and thoughts with all of you in FL. Still cleaning up from Harvey here so we know how you feel.
    Stay safe!
    Nick

Comment

I barely know you, I only met you once, I met Mathew once or twice, I met Stephen l twice and also got to meet his dad. I also met lots of Stude people from everywhere around North America and around the globe. I pray for all you guys in that path and wish you well. Stay safe friends, some of whom I barely know.

Comment

Storm has definitely picked up speed (and lost strength accorting to the weatherman)
        Was supposed to get to Savannah about 4pm Monday, but the leading edge got here at 5am.
        Hopefully it will scoot through quickly.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Perspective...
          When the hurricane is blowing....
          And your hurricane cookie stash is out in the workshop.....
          Smile... (Because you still have a workshop)!

Click image for larger version

Name:	170911 930am - Deep-N-Hock Acres.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1716320
          Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 09-11-2017, 06:37 AM.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Perspective...
            When the hurricane is blowing....
            And your hurricane cookie stash is out in the workshop.....
            Smile... (Because you still have a workshop)!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66919[/ATTACH]
            Thanks for the updates Jeff. Your earlier post regarding the size of the storm impressed me. I am over 200 miles north of you, and as I was traveling home I could tell the wind, and clouds building from the south were being influenced by the hurricane. By the time I arrived home, wind gusts had already begun stripping healthy green leaves from my maple trees. Periods of huge clouds, like scouting patrols, were roaming the sky, as if on a mission. No rain, but as you know, the temperature exchange between sunny areas and the sun blocking clouds, generate turbulence and wind at ground level. Amazing that the storm can be so far reaching.

Yesterday, as evening approached, things calmed down quite a bit as the heat of the sun waned with sunset. This morning, the wind returned with, cloud cover complete, and now rain. I got a chuckle from your "HURRICANE COOKIE STASH"...I couldn't do that.
            Here, the mice & field rats would really have a party.
            Perhaps if I had a Bank quality safe, I could keep cookies in my outbuildings, but I'm not so sure.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              ,snip>
              I got a chuckle from your "HURRICANE COOKIE STASH"...I couldn't do that.
              Here, the mice & field rats would really have a party.
              Perhaps if I had a Bank quality safe, I could keep cookies in my outbuildings, but I'm not so sure.
              I got the wifes' hand me down fridge from the shop.
              I keep important things in there, like hurricane survival food
              Mice don't get in there... The only predator in there is......Me!

[IMG][/IMG]

Jeff

Comment

(Just an update....and a suggestion)

(copy)

Date: September 11, 2017 at 9:16:45 AM EDT

Subject: Irma update

Faired well over night. Total of about 7-1/2 inches rain so far. No big trees down here. No structure damage done. We now just await the back side of the storm. No power here since 11:30 last night. Pass the word as we need to conserve phone battery power.
                Bill & Patti

Here's my suggestion:
                Get one of these. They come with a USB port so you can charge your phone.

Jeff

Comment

'Feels' like it is letting up a bit..
                  Keeping a wary eye out.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	170911 - Hurricane Irma - 11am.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1716321

Jeff

Comment

In post # 52, is Jeff suggesting that Bill is an old crank?
                    Bill

Comment

A few moments ago, I made the trek down to the road to my mailbox. Rain is coming from the northeast, consistent with the direction of the occasional nor-Easter we get in this part of the country. Although, we know, it is actually due to the rotation of this huge tropical storm approaching from the south.

As I was out, I took a moment to check a few things. Looking skyward, the clouds are roiling, racing, and raging! It looks like one of those documentary film time-lapse scenes, where they speed up the film and condense several hours into seconds...except for now, it's real time! Rain is sideways & intense, but no where near as those who experienced it at hurricane strength. It is building in intensity here, so we have nothing to do but hunker down, hope for the best, and see what tomorrow brings. Prayers for those who will be dealing with the aftermath for some time to come.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A few moments ago, I made the trek down to the road to my mailbox. Rain is coming from the northeast, consistent with the direction of the occasional nor-Easter we get in this part of the country. Although, we know, it is actually due to the rotation of this huge tropical storm approaching from the south.

As I was out, I took a moment to check a few things. Looking skyward, the clouds are roiling, racing, and raging! It looks like one of those documentary film time-lapse scenes, where they speed up the film and condense several hours into seconds...except for now, it's real time! Rain is sideways & intense, but no where near as those who experienced it at hurricane strength. It is building in intensity here, so we have nothing to do but hunker down, hope for the best, and see what tomorrow brings. Prayers for those who will be dealing with the aftermath for some time to come.

Glad you are ok. We made it through the main part of the storm with only a few branches down.
                        But the follwing feeder bands are viscious. Tornado watches and warnings until 9pm.
                        One of the later feeder bands did this to one of our few remaining 100 year old pecan tree's.
                        But the buildings, horses, and people are all ok..

Jeff

Comment

Currently, watching the local news, we are getting a chuckle. While telling the rest of us to stay indoors, the local news crews are crawling all over the county to find downed trees, broken power lines, and out of place trash cans to add drama to their reporting. Funny, how the "older gals" get studio duty, and the younger ones have to stand in the rain for reporting. Then, as if all their viewers are dumb as a box of hammers, we get lectures about how to protect lawn furniture, and outdoor grilles. I've been told to "cover" my lawn furniture. What kind of cover is required for a chainsaw cut log stretched across two rocks? That's what constitutes my lawn furniture.

At least, my goats and chickens have it figured out. Chickens, without instructions from reporters, safely retire to their roost, and the goats know that a few hours hunkered down inside their plastic igloo doghouse, inside their above ground stall, is a cozy place to ride out any storm. No condescending instructions from any irritating reporter required.

If they run out of anything of substance to report, I won't be surprised if we get instructions on how to properly blow your nose. Just now, instead of reporting about a tree "falling" on a house...it "Plowed" through the house (for dramatic effect). So, I'm wondering if it use a "turn plow," or a "bull tongue" plow?

I know this is serious business, and I feel for those who in the line of duty, slog through the misery, but in the midst of it all, a little humor might just keep someone from having a heart attack.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Currently, watching the local news, we are getting a chuckle. While telling the rest of us to stay indoors, the local news crews are crawling all over the county to find downed trees, broken power lines, and out of place trash cans to add drama to their reporting. <snip>
                            I was laughing when I watched the Weather Channel buff dude Jim Santouranium (or whatever his name is)
                            standing out in the full fury if Hurricane Irma near naples, Florida.
                            Bravely facing the rapidly intensifying and deadly storm with his company logo'd parka on, complete with matching waterproof panties, and rubber booties.
                            Bending over...bracing against the onslaught...
                            My thought? Who the heck is video'ing this idjit.
                            Then.. The little reality TV weather charade was exposed. The cameraman backed up his camera back inside the rear window of the rental car to wipe the lens dry.
                            The weather dude took two steps to his left and gained shelter from the wind behind the mini van, and when the camera was pushed back out the window, the weather hunk deftly two stepped back to position one and started his hero in the wind act again. Never missed a beat.
                            Film at eleven....

Jeff

Comment

Currently, watching the local news, we are getting a chuckle. While telling the rest of us to stay indoors, the local news crews are crawling all over the county to find downed trees, broken power lines, and out of place trash cans to add drama to their reporting
                              Some are questioning the ethics of that: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/nature...gNb9&ocid=iehp

Craig

Comment

But that's how I know it's going to be a serious weather event, No Jim, nothing but a mundane rain event in the near future. It will probably continue until one of them takes a 2X4 or flying stop sign between the lookers. Glad all the effected seem to have weathered the event. Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X