Orientation of red/white/blue of outside and inside door emblems on 64 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orientation of red/white/blue of outside and inside door emblems on 64 Hawk

Getting ready to finish the inside door panels on a 64 Hawk. I cannot remember if red or blue is first in looking at the panel, or if it is different on the 2 sides, It seems this changed between 63 and 64. I think I got the outside emblems on correctly. If someone knows all this off the "top of their head" please reply.

I just looked at mine & they are uniformally red, white & blue from front to rear on both inner & outer with my '64 Hawk.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01266.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1714017

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Yes, the right side exterior emblems are oriented different on 1964s and 1963s.

You can't go by restored cars because about half are correct and half are incorrect, even on high end restorations.
      I know that Fred Fox has covered this in TW, but I do not remember when.
      Last edited by studegary; 06-11-2017, 06:22 PM.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In the October 1992 issue of Turning Wheels, Fred K. Fox said on page 13 in his article, "Studebaker Hawks: a primer", "The red, white and blue door emblems now sat in chrome bases and they were red-white-blue (as you faced them) on both sides."

I'm assuming he meant from left to right.

Don't know if this helps or not!

Bill L.
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

There was quite a discussion about this on JDP's highly restored Hawk. Maybe some sleuth can find that thread.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
            In the October 1992 issue of Turning Wheels, Fred K. Fox said on page 13 in his article, "Studebaker Hawks: a primer", "The red, white and blue door emblems now sat in chrome bases and they were red-white-blue (as you faced them) on both sides."

I'm assuming he meant from left to right.

Don't know if this helps or not!

Bill L.
            Is that quote referring to 1963 or 1964 Hawks?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ddub View Post
            There was quite a discussion about this on JDP's highly restored Hawk. Maybe some sleuth can find that thread.
            The right door exterior emblem was incorrectly installed on that car.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

You can't tell from reading the article.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Is that quote referring to 1963 or 1964 Hawks?

- - - Updated - - -

The right door exterior emblem was incorrectly installed on that car.
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

As I recall on '64's it was the INSIDE ones on the Right that were backwards, Blue, White, Red.

Which could actually make some sense, since you actually can see them both at once from in the Car and they are both matching, BLUE going Forward.

Obviously the THEME for most of these was AMERICAN; Red, White, Blue, just like the Decklid Emblem on '63 & '64 and Grille Emblems on '63's.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I appreciate HAWK64 looking at his car...but that is an Australia car and was it assembled there? Also maybe it is Australian "speak" when you say of "front to rear" but instead mean "left to right" as shown in the picture. Thanks to 56GH for the reference to the Fred Fox article in TW, I spent a few hours looking for that issue but it is gone from my organized TW issues (likely in a pile somewhere). And it may not mention the interior emblems as was my main question.

Someone sent me pictures of used 64 interior panels they have they say seem to have been untouched. Those show the red to the front on both internal panels. To confuse things the 64 brochure shows blue to the front on both interior sides, but then again that is likely just artwork before the real cars were produced.

Then I have some pictures stored on my computer of the Myers restoring a 64 R1 Super-Hawk and they went with red to the front on both interior panels. That does make sense since the interior is symmetrical, and as the driver approaches the car they see red-white-blue on both exterior and interior emblems.

So I am going with red to the front on both interior panels. I think I will like that better and I don't ever plan or care to have the car judged.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                    I just looked at mine & they are uniformally red, white & blue from front to rear on both inner & outer with my '64 Hawk.[ATTACH=CONFIG]64730[/ATTACH]
                    Your picture does not support your statement.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Your picture does not support your statement.
                      Well spotted Gary but that image was taken 10 years ago when I was probably drunk & had the tri color on reversed. The Hawk is still in great shape & the photo I used is one of my favorites.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

I wanted to add that I did find the Fred Fox article. For the interior he states that the red/white/blue emblems were added to the 64 door panels. He does not state the orientation as he did for the outside emblems. He does show a B/W picture above the statement of an interior driver's door panel. The darker color which would be the blue is to the left. Of course it is very possible that on some/many cars the driver's door emblem could have been the same pattern as all other emblems r/w/b. I remember the family dealership getting in a new 63 Lark where the front side letters on one side spelled LAKR (I still want to do that on one of my Larks, and claim it as stock).

Comment

More evidence comes from the Hackenberger auction this weekend

The interior door panels on the 64 GT that sold has the red to the front on both sides. There are some problems however with that interior as the seat inserts appear to have been replaced, the back quarter interior panels seem to have red windlace, and the rear seat speaker grille is not correct. Actually I think the vinyl color on the seats is also off. Attached first is a picture of the car that sold, then two of a similar interior I am installing in an R1 Super Hawk I am restoring.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The reupholstered Tan Interior will look fairly good in a Golden Sand Color Car, but not so much in the Red Hawk.
                            I don't even think it was available.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you are still interested I can uncover and photo my untouched '63 GT which has never been painted or otherwise molested.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X