No announcement yet.

Question' dial indicating a 6 cyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Question' dial indicating a 6 cyl?

This is a first for me and got to thinking about it so I am asking.
    I am getting ready to replace the dead 185 (replacement engine) in my wife's 1951 Starlight coupe. It is a 6 cyl with an automatic behind it. The car has a worn out 185 reolacement engine in it and I am replacing it with a rebuilt original 1951 Champion engine.
    The rebuilt engine was a manual trans ( i know i have to shorten or swap the flywheel bolts).
    The question is on the engine coming out of the car has a steel plate with dowel (?) pins in it. And the plate bolts to the block. I am aware of having to dial indicate V/8's
    Can the plate be swapped from the old engine to the rebuilt engine and be in alignment? Or, do I still have to dial indicate the trans to the engine?
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

George: You must dial-indicate sixes as well as V8s.

In this case, it is even more important because the car will have an automatic transmission. Automatic-transmission cars are more susceptible to block alignment issues because the flex plates are relatively fragile.

Poor alignment in a manual-transmission car will cause problems, especially over time, but will not leave you dead on the road with a busted flex plare or an unusual noise you can't find no matter what you do (a cracked flex plate still driving the car.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, Thank you for your prompt reply.
      If I remove the steel plate that has the alingment pins (dowels) from the old engine to the new engine, it seems to me that I should not have to dial indicate.
      Was there that much difference in the drilled and tapped mounting holes in the back of the block from engine to engine?
      George King
      Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

This is a very interesting question since the 6 cyl bellhousing doesn't have dowel pins for alignment. The bolt holes in the bellhousing are bigger than the bolts. Also you have to use a 169 bellhousing plate. The 185 won't work.
        1936 Dictator
        1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
        1953 Commander Regal HT
        1953 2R5 Pickup
        1947 M16 Truck
        1960 Lark VIII Convertible
        1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
        1962 Champ 7E5 no box
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 Lark VI 4 dr
        1963 GT Hawk R2
        1964 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

What Studeski (Claude) said, George. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Guess that answers my questions,
            Thank you Bob & Claude
            George King
            Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
            X