ATF in the manifolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: ATF in the manifolds

So, I've read numerous stories about putting X or Y fluid in the cylinders of a stuck or possibly stuck engine, but today pointed out to me I've never read what happens to whatever fluid you put in the cylinders before trying to start a stopped motor.

Long story short, as I went to torque down the head bolts on my 2R17A, I was going to install the carb and air cleaner but as I took out the rags I had stuffed in the carb manifold I noticed red fluid on them. ??? After a second dip it hit me, I used acetone and ATF in the cylinders to ensure the cylinders weren't stuck to the walls.

I sucked out about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ATF from the manifold, but I'm sure there's a little more in crannies, plus, I have a 2 speed rear axle, so this may have got into that plumbing.

Also, I noticed some crumbs of black material inside the manifold on the bottom. I picked some out and best as I can tell, it's likely carbon crumbs.

I sure hope I don't have to pull the intake manifold to clean it out, but....

Clearly, I have good compression and rings and essentially none of the ATF made it past the pistons and into the oil pan.

The atf/acetone solution will burn off,engine vacuum will pull it into the cylinders. Any that has found its way into the exhaust will burn off . The initial start may windup a bit on the smokey side. Back before the days of catalitic converters we used to run a mixture of atf and water in a squirt bottle at 1/2 throttle down the carb to decarbon the chambers. Lou Cote

Comment

That might explain the carbon crumbs I saw in the manifold then. Thanks for the information and reassurance.
      Last edited by LeoH; 10-31-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X