Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: 1965 Wagonaire dual exhaust question

Need to put exhaust system on my 1965 Wagonaire. I want
    to put on a dual system. Single was only system available originally.
    Car is 283 V8, automatic, with sliding roof panel.
    Will Avanti down pipes from a Chevy engined Avanti fit
    my Wagonaire?
    Thank you
    Last edited by 57pack; 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Absolutly! The frame is the same except the wagon has a slightly longer area behind the "X" member which would require either a longer pipe there or longer muffler. The rear of the system (from an Avanti)however will not work being the wagon has the exit for the exhaust behind the rear wheel opening.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
      Absolutly! The frame is the same except the wagon has a slightly longer area behind the "X" member which would require either a longer pipe there or longer muffler. The rear of the system (from an Avanti)however will not work being the wagon has the exit for the exhaust behind the rear wheel opening.
      Maybe tailpipes from a 1964 SW would work since the 289-4V was an option that year and the basic frame should be the same as a 1965-66 SW.
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Been talking to my pipe bender about this exhaust system, his main concern is with the down (header) pipes. Thanks to Warren, and his own thoughts about fitment of the Avanti / Chevrolet pipes. We are going ahead with trying a set, then going with the 63/64 Wagonaire dual system back. Thanks Larksedan.

Hope it fits as he had informed me that the wye pipe is not available and he could only make the crossover pipe.
        Will keep you posted.
        Thanks
        Bill

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

I put the '64 Wagonaire dual exhaust piping into my '65 Wagonaire. It required some custom bends from the manifolds to the exhaust pipes. I did not use a crossover pipe, so my car sounds more like a Studebaker than a Chevy. Unless you put a two pairs of flanges in a crossover pipe, the exhaust system cannot be removed once it's welded in place, so leaving out the crossover pipe made sense. The Cherry Bomb mufflers were fun for a few months, but then they seemed deafening, so I went back to stock mufflers.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks Gary, I needed some encouragement with my project!
            The only good pipe I had left was the extension pipe. The crossover, muffler, and tailpipe
            were toast.
            Thanks
            Bill

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

When I had the exhaust made for my Avanti I asked for a crossover pipe, but had it made so there was a stub pipe from each side meeting in the middle with a slip joint. I fastened it with a stainless steel clamp that looked a bit like a tin can that surrounded the joint but didnt crush it in case it ever has to be removed for whatever reason. These clamps can be ordered through NAPA (not cheap but work great). I used these clamps on my 68 Le Mans when I installed its 3" exhaust on all the joints. Made the install & alignment that much easier.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                Been talking to my pipe bender about this exhaust system, his main concern is with the down (header) pipes. Thanks to Warren, and his own thoughts about fitment of the Avanti / Chevrolet pipes. We are going ahead with trying a set, then going with the 63/64 Wagonaire dual system back. Thanks Larksedan.

Hope it fits as he had informed me that the wye pipe is not available and he could only make the crossover pipe.
                Will keep you posted.
                Thanks
                Bill
                The driver's side headpipe on dual exhaust cars can be a PITA due to little clearance between the steering drag link (reach rod) and the exhaust manifold outlet. I tried a vendor for said headpipes and was not happy; if I were to do it again, I'd use Don Simmons, word is his stuff fits properly.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Will keep you posted.
                  Thanks
                  Bill
                  Bill

From your description, I believe that your pipe bender is going to try to fabricate the exhaust pipes.

I purchased a complete set from Don Simmons for my 83 Avanti. Which, by the way, fit perfectly and are 2 1/4". Here are a couple of shots to show you what you are trying to fab.

Drivers side set, note the head pipe.

Here it is installed.

[IMG][/IMG]

It looks close to the oil pan but there's more clearance than appears.

Good luck, Bob

Comment

My exhaust bender mentioned Don's name when we talked Avanti on the header pipes. Could be he will consult Don or just get the pipes from Don and fabricate the remainder? I don't know, hope it works.
                    Thanks for the pictures Bob, gives me a idea what I'm up against! Sure is tight in there!
                    Thank you
                    Bill

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

My exhaust bender mentioned Don's name when we talked Avanti on the header pipes. Could be he will consult Don or just get the pipes from Don and fabricate the remainder? I don't know, hope it works.
                      Thanks for the pictures Bob, gives me a idea what I'm up against! Sure is tight in there!
                      Thank you
                      Bill
                      Bill

Remember that Don only works in stainless. The decision on whom should build them is probably best left to your fabricator. He seems open to discussing the options with you.

Bob

Comment

You may need to convert your engine to a spin on filter to make the left Avanti head pipe work for you as the tall cartridge type filter can on 65-66 cars can be a problem when making duals. I had this problem on my 66 Cruiser. I had my duals custom made by an exhaust shop.
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                        X