1960 Lark W4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark W4

The person I purchased the car from only owned it for a few year and I knew it from the owner before. That owner purchased the car back in the early '80 and it had only 30k miles on it. The original owner also had an early 2R5 with less than 30K miles on it. When the person who bought the black car returned two weeks later the truck had already been sold...

The motor was burning oil at @ 40k. Rebuilder found number one piston did not have all the compression rings and those that were there were in multiple pieces.

It was sold new in La Grange, Texas, in December of 1959. It still has the original window sticker and the licence receit. Off the top of my head I want to say total sticker price was $2253. Original window sheet was folded up the original owner and put in the glove box. Second owner put it on a sheet of cardboard to display.

Photos from 2011 in Pennsylvania

In June of 2005, the car was driven from the state where it had lived its entire life to a new home in Pennsylvania. This past summer it finally turned 50k miles.

POs installed the grill surround and chrome headlight rings. Only thing done to the interior is carpet and an NOS red and black steering wheel. Someone also put a radio in as well, but drilled a hole in the cowl for the antenna (that will be fixed eventually).

The little six works pretty hard on the hills in Eastern Pennsylvania, but it sure likes to run.

1960 Lark VI - finally turned 50k in August of 2006 - as of June 2019 it now shows 55K miles.

Car has found itself to back west again - currently the first vehicle to arrive in Lexington, Kentucky, where my wife and I are relocated (very slowly)...

I have found NOS seat covers from the front and rear lean back - always keeping eyes open for the bench as well.

New stainless exhaust ready to under the car - 2010.

Last edited by 62champ; 08-03-2022, 06:38 PM.

Update as of Nov. 2016. The Lark is living comfortably in a new home in the Frankfort area of Kentucky. On a drive one afternoon late this summer, I drove through a small place between Versailles KY and Lexington KY. There are about five houses and this little church but the community name is what stands out - fitting considering both the Lark and I are originally from the Lone Star state...

Comment

Thanks for the update. Wonderful car. I had a 63 with a 6 and an automatic. That car would take on anything. Great little driver. I think the 6s are under rated!

Mark

Comment

Nice Larky Lark! I love those flathead 6's too!

Comment

Not a too recent photo - but I am trying to get the car looking like it did when it sat on the lot when new.

Comment

They were a great looking car. My first car was a 59 W4 equipped almost identical. Being a teenager then I added a front sway bar & brakes from a 57 Silver Hawk. A real soft spot in my heart.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Beautiful little car. I like the pictures and story behind them. Well done.

Comment

Love it! And I'm glad you're removing the Regal trim that was added by the PO. Love those Deluxe models!
                ~Matt Connor
                '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Dry weather so take advantage of it when I can...

Almost there...

There we go. Unfortunately this was on a windy Kentucky back road, so having the needle pointed at "55" would have been pretty tricky.

At the rate the car is having miles added to it (was built in September of '59), it might reach 100,000 miles by the time it will have its 100th birthday - wonder who might be driving it then - I would only be 89...

Comment

Wow - did not realize I had never updated this post.

Approximately five days after the entry above was submitted, my ex-wife and I made the decision that we would no longer stay married. Because the car was joint property, it was put up for sale in August, 2019 and sold roughly six weeks later. I was asking $5000 for it but had no takers - individual who bought it agreed to pay $4700.

It still made it to a few more car shows - Harrodsburg, KY, on August 17, 2019

and another show on August 24th in Cynthiana, KY

Gentleman from Richmond, KY, by the name of Dean drove it for five minutes and was convinced it would make a great short trip classic for he and his wife.

Photos here are of the last time it was pulled out of garage to be taken to the local DMV to meet Dean and transfer everything over to him.

In the parking lot of the Anderson Country Clerks office, last time I saw the car.

I was really sorry I could not keep it - really a great car and always willing to get out and ply some back roads just to see what was around the next corner . . .

Comment

Sorry to hear you had to sell it. I am sure it is still driving and bringing smiles to the current owners and those that see it. Maybe you will see it again one day.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X