I.d. Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: I.d. Number

Just put a new motor in my 58 Scotsman pickup I'm pretty sure it's a 259 . around a 1962 it is a full flow and has the oil filter on the block ,can any one confirm what I have with the following number's ..... serial number 3E 20632 and casting number 554641 Thanks.

3E 20632 should be from a 259 V-8 from 1963 pickup.

Comment

The Late '62-'64 full Flow block casting number is actually 1554641, you may have a poorly cast 1.

Yes a 3E is a Standard Duty 259 Truck Engine, but all internals are the same as a car. If original, they just have lower Compression Cyl. Heads.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,
        Why did the trucks have lower compression heads? Did that increase the torque?
        Jim
        \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

Trucks were assumed to be purchased mostly by businesses or farmers, many of which had their own gas pump with only regular gas (and even if they didn't, would buy the cheapest fuel available).
          Skip Lackie

Comment

lower Compression .............. , Yes without knowing at the time I changed the heads on a 61 259 that came out of a truck and the heads were off a car that I put on it , and shortly after I was told that the heads I put on were a higher Compression ratio which was great seeing I also put on a four barrel manifold I had sitting on my shelve . That engine is currently sitting in my shop and is going into my Daughter in Laws 60 Lark Station Wagon. Seem's every time you think you know most of what all they did at the factory you find out more and more as time go's along , I myself and my son currently own 10 Studebakers from a military deuce and a half to a 49 champion sedan with suicide doors. I'm glad we bought them some years ago as the prices are getting to the point I can't afford to buy much I see for sale now. It seems our car's and trucks are getting more popular as the years go by.

Comment

Working...
            X