ID:	1750988Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4282.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1750989Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4283.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1750990Have managed to install a 350TPI engine & 700R4 from a 89 firebird without any problems in my 65 Wagonaire. The issue is the steering. Do I change the stock exhaust (rear exit on the left side) to say shorty style headers to allow access to the steering column? Would prefer to use a modern steering box so that I can use the firebird steering column as was planning to use the firebird wiring harness. Reading the threads on changing to rack & pinion has given me second thoughts on going that route. The 65 came with PS so could change or incorporate the 89 PS pump with the Stude lines? Hope a few others have some past experience on this. Have done 4 stock restorations in the past but this is my first swap of a modern drivetrain into a Stude. Thanks, Len
    Last edited by cohocom; 05-22-2016, 03:16 PM.

Your 65 would have had a Chevy V8 installed as factory. Why not use the original exhaust manifolds? Were they different bolt patterns from those years?
    sals54

Comment

Unless you are ready for some major front end changes, there isn't a "bolt in" "modern steering box" . I've been researching this for years. The original steering setup, using a reach rod going front to back, isn't easily useable with a "modern" steering box. Most were designed to move the linkage left to right. Turning it on it's side and using a reverse gearbox would work--if they weren't so wide and if they didn't have the pitman shaft on the wrong side of the worm after doing it. If you have exhaust manifold clearance problems now, they will only be multiplied changing the steering gear. That being said, a steering box from an Avanti with a rag joint connector could be used with a modified upper column shaft to change that. Alan, on here, has a way of converting the front to a cross-steer setup, but I'm sure it isn't a bolt in operation, as he has done some pretty fancy Stude conversions.

Comment

The center dump 60's era "Ram Horns" are what Studebaker used. I have a 85 Corvette L-98 in my '64. The pictures tell the story better than I can. The cast manifolds are available in 2.5" if you feel the factory 2" outlet is too small. In my case the L-98 cam is tuned for torque, not RPM and it kind of chokes the engine short of 5,000 RPM so the 2" is acceptable.

Did you keep the TPI? Or did you swap manifolds and go to a carb like I did (bought the engine as a long block, not complete)? It takes a bit of modifying the Batwing to get the 700R4 to fit. Would like to see pictures.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by wittsend; 05-21-2016, 09:18 AM.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
          The center dump 60's era "Ram Horns" are what Studebaker used. I have a 85 Corvette L-98 in my '64. The pictures tell the story better than I can.
          Absolutely, and if these don't look big enough, the early mid 60's 2 1/2 in. vette ram horns should fit also.

Comment

Anything that worked on the 283 should work on the 350. Only thing is if your using the tpi you will need a plug for oxygen sensor plug either in manifold or header pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              Your 65 would have had a Chevy V8 installed as factory. Why not use the original exhaust manifolds? Were they different bolt patterns from those years?
              Same bolt pattern in the sense that any early SB Chevy V8 exhaust manifold would bolt up to the newer heads since the latter would accept either the early or the later castings.
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Any ideas on what to do with adapting the original steering box to a modern column? Do you cut the original shaft down?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X