Headliner Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Headliner Install

I'm told that for certain (years/models) Studebakers, the windshield needs to be removed in order to replace the headliner. Anyone know if this is the case for a 1964 Commander? Please advise if you have any questions or need additional information to respond.

Thanks!
    SilentRon

I think there are ways to install one with the glass still in but more work.

Comment

The front and back of the headliner is glued to the window frame, under the rubber. Installing one without removing the front and back glass would have very questionable results. It needs to be stretched and worked to remove wrinkles along the front and back. That can't be done with the rubber in the way. It's one of those jobs that can be done right or can be a disaster.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

BTDT, glued headliner under rubber glass seal. at rear 2 metal strips keep bow and headliner pulled taught, at front pulled bow forward with stainless steel safety wire to keep everything taught. lasted several years of daily driving then headliner began shrinking and pulling glued ends loose. do it right if you want it to last! Luck Doofus

Comment

I have a 58 Silver Hawk that had a headliner that had been replaced without removing the windshield and rear window. It looked OK except for a 1 foot section that had pulled away from the rear window in the upper corner. It had only had been glued in on a strip a fraction of an inch wide available without window removal. A local professional interior guy was not anxious to take the job on as the window had never been removed and the rubber seal was as hard as ceramic. He would only do it on a time & materials basis and had no real estimate of how long it might take.
          A lot of owners have replaced their headliners themselves, but it was a bigger project than I wanted to take on. However, upon closer inspection, I found that an inch-wide sheet metal strip could be epoxied to part of the window frame. I then used a high strength vinyl adhesive to glue the sagging material to it. To hold it to the curve of the window frame while drying, I used several 3/4 inch strong magnets (20 pound of pull each). I don't know how long it will last (I did it last Fall), but so far it still looks good.

Comment

I had a top & trim shop here in Fl. They did not remove the glass, they were able to tuck and glue. What ever you do not get the bows mixed up they a put in by number. The headliner was installed at the factory before the glass was installed.

Comment

Very innovative John (HI Hawk). You will have to report back in a couple years on how it held up.

Comment

This is exactly what I love about car forums. Thanks to everyone who took the time to not only respond to my post, but to share their knowledge and experience with headliner replacement.

Based on the responses and the fact that my Commander is currently a "driver," I think it would be best to defer my headliner replacement to after the bodywork and paint are completed. Then I can deal with the headliner and glass replacement (in that order). My grandfather taught me if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right.

Thanks again for your response,
                SilentRon

Comment

If you are doing body and paint, pull the front and back glass so that the body shop can repair any problems and get a fresh coat of paint around the window lip. You will be glad you did because if you don't, chances are you will have a bad paint edge around the rubber and it will show when new rubber is installed. You may also avoid having chips of paint flake off when the widows are removed for headliner replacement. The factory did it in that order for a reason.
                  Originally posted by SilentRon View Post
                  This is exactly what I love about car forums. Thanks to everyone who took the time to not only respond to my post, but to share their knowledge and experience with headliner replacement.

Based on the responses and the fact that my Commander is currently a "driver," I think it would be best to defer my headliner replacement to after the bodywork and paint are completed. Then I can deal with the headliner and glass replacement (in that order). My grandfather taught me if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right.

Thanks again for your response,
                  SilentRon
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I agree 100% if your doing body and paint work any way that's the time to do the headliner. Paint the car then install headliner and glass.

Comment

Working...
                    X